Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brass or nickel? Alpaca or cotton? Help!!!

dormicica

New in Town
I need the experts' help! I am just about ordering an Aero Highwayman black zip sleeve horsehide jacket. Can't decide on hardware and lining.
As for zipper I would like the most durable kind (I understand newly being used Aero is not as good as discontinued Talon), with NO shiny/new appearence.
As for lining, I am thinking of cotton drill and alpaca. Winters here in Hungary are usually mild, cold is rarely worse than 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
All hints are greatly welcome!

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi Dormicica..

I have some Aero jackets, one with alpaca, and another with cotton lining..

Personally I'd go for the alpaca, beautiful material, and very breathable.. warm when you need it, but cool enough to wear in spring, early summer..

The cotton drill is very heavy weigh and durable, but I find it slightly abbrahsive..

Hope that helps..

I went with chrome/nickel hardware for black jackets, and brass for brown/coloured jackets..

I hope that helps!

Rufus

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Rufus on both counts.

My Aero Highwayman with Alpaca lining is comfortable in a wide range of temperatures. Add a sweater or a vest below freezing and you will be OK for another 10 or 15 degrees, as long as you are moving around some.

Chrome for black and brass for the browns.

Plan on a lengthy break in period for the jacket. Aero makes a good product.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Alpaca, which I have in my Barnstormer, is warm, warm, and damn itchy. The Barnstormer is otherwise a perfect jacket, and it will have the cotton drill lining next summer. I just hope that this winter is cold...

tonypaj

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi, your alpaca lining is itchy?

The Alpaca lining I have from aero is quite soft.. I'd certainly recommend it..

I found the cotton lining very hard wearing..but abrasive..particularily if only wearing a tshirt and not a proper shirt..

:) Rufus

tonypaj

Practically Family
Rufus said:
Hi, your alpaca lining is itchy?

The Alpaca lining I have from aero is quite soft.. I'd certainly recommend it..

I found the cotton lining very hard wearing..but abrasive..particularily if only wearing a tshirt and not a proper shirt..

Yep, very much so. The Alpaca is in the body, the arms have the cotton drill, no problem with arms, damn itchy back (but that might be just the pattern of wearing, the back comes into contact with the lining much more than the arms, I'd assume). If the cotton drill is even worse than Alpaca, I probably should have the work done locally and use silk or simple cotton lining like they put in A2s. Hmm, might be worth a bit of consideration...

tonypaj

Ryan

Familiar Face
Quality Alpaca fiber would not be itchy. The fiber structure does not have barbs like wool, which would cause the itch, unless it's of poor quality. I have Alpaca dams and their fiber is not as soft as my maidens but no one would say it's itchy.

Rufus

Practically Family
Exactly Ryan... the alpaca Aero provided in my jacket is lovely..

Tony.. give Amanda at Aero a bell.. amybe the should replace it!

tonypaj

Practically Family
Rufus said:
Exactly Ryan... the alpaca Aero provided in my jacket is lovely..

Tony.. give Amanda at Aero a bell.. amybe the should replace it!

Well, there seems to be two options, either my back itches way too easy, or the alpaca is is not as it should be.

What's held me back so far (I've asked Amanda about this earlier) is simply that sending the jacket from France to the UK and back and paying GBP 70 for the lining is a bit steep. I can have it done locally for about the same amount minus the shipping and waiting, but then it's not the real thing...

We'll see, the jacket stays as it is for this winter, itch or not, soon I'll be needing it pretty much every day...

Plumbline

One Too Many
I must be a sensitive soul too ....

as my Alpaca lined long halfbelt is a little itchy if I wear just a light cotton shirt underneath ....... if I wear a thicker shirt or T-shirt it's fine (sleeves are cotton drill) :)

Grant Tartan lined Highwayman is perfect though

Robb

Ryan

Familiar Face
A way around fiber that is not as soft is to brush it. In latin america, where a lot of Alpaca products for the US comes from, they use a simple solution for alpaca fiber that is not as soft as one would expect. First they use a tight weave for the garmet then they brush it. From what I've seen and handled, it felt good. I have not seen the liner being used so I don't know if this could be done. Try to seek out a peron who knits or spins their own fiber and ask them what they think. If you can brush it, it'll give a slight fuzzy look to it. Might be a cheap option for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR