Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brazilian Carnival Outfit?

Drappa

One Too Many
I am attending a hen do (batchelorette party) in less than two weeks and have just been told I should dress appropriately for both an afternoon tea at a luxury hotel and an evening at a Brazilian Bar with a carnival theme. Help! Any ideas? I wouldn't know what to wear even if it was modern dress, but with vintage I'm just lost.
I've purchased a cheap feather mask, but am totally stumped on the rest. This will be in London, and it's currently not warm and quite rainy.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
:lol: I'm so sorry, but this sounds hilarious! Will you have a chance to change in a hotel room or at a friends house? Or do you have to do a Superman in a phone booth?

Drappa

One Too Many
I don't think we'll change at all! I'm staying with a friend who lives in London and we'll all have tea in the afternoon, then move on to a pub, and immediately after to a Brazilian Club. I'll keep the mask in a bag, lest I scare people trying to have a dignified English tea...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Your first post made me laugh, just because the situation seems so hilarious.

The only thing I can think is try to have maybe a colorful outfit? Something like a nice multi-colored circle skirt with a colorful blouse? And bring lots of beads to throw on for the carnival? Maybe some feathers (like a fascinator) to put in your hair too?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I was actually thinking along opposite lines, lol. What about wearing a fun LBD with a demure pastel cardi over it and understated jewelry for tea, then keeping your mask and some more colorful jewelry in your bag and trading them out? You could put your hair in an updo for tea, and stash a colorful hair flower in your bag to add later. A bright sash for around your waist would fit in the bag, too. Stockings with seams are posh and sexy at the same time, so you can't go wrong there. Just my two cents! Do let us know what you come up with! And take pics ;)

Drappa

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice ladies! I am not sure I want to have pictures taken, as I agree the whole thing does sound slightly ridiculous. Right now I am leaning towards my Trashy Diva dress with a cherry print - I figured fruit and feathers is the thing to do? I actually have a matching fascinator.
When I googled Brazilian carnival, I only ever see women in masks and bikinis or feather skirts, which I am definitely not going to be wearing! I'm generally not too keen on fancy dress events. The last time I dressed up for one was at uni. I went as the rainforest and had the brilliant idea of buying real branches which I tied into a cape, and stuffed animals attached on them. Needless to say, it was very uncomfortable, the animals kept falling off all night, and strange people kept asking if I was Mother Nature...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
OOh i know the one, that sounds like a great idea, as you can dress it down with a cardi or a little jacket for tea and then it will look divine in the evening with a few bright accessories. I would imagine there will be lots of Carmen Miranda fruit hats and outfits, or at least i hope so, so you will look a treat.

Now i would like to see a picture of the Mother Nature outfilt....

Drappa

One Too Many
Now i would like to see a picture of the Mother Nature outfilt....
Haha, one of my friends used to have some, but not digital unfortunately. In fact, I haven't seen it myself in years and years. :)

I also have a vague feeling that nobody apart from me is actually going to dress up, but we'll see.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
11068CMCarnWeb.jpg

Drappa

One Too Many
You ladies make me laugh! I'm not even sure the above outfit would fit through the door of said tea room :D

I am also currently making a summer dress with a cherry print and am nearly done. Depending how warm it is, may wear that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner