Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Break in at Aero

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Seems like a reasonable precaution to take for such an expensive item.

Not necessarily. Every Vanson jacket is embossed with a serial number, usually on the inside of a lining pocket. That's also the purpose of the key fob you get with every Vanson jacket; in case if someone nicks yours, you can at least keep a look out for the jacket with a matching serial number as the one on the key fob.
Problem with Aero's serial no. tag is that it's handwritten piece of paper that's barely sewn into the jacket. So easy to get rid of that most jackets sold online don't even have it. I've lost one just from putting a wallet into the pocket.

009.jpg

AdeeC

Practically Family
Good deals on Aero jackets are not unheard of. It doesn't happen often but occasionally, you can score one for a fraction of the cost.

I still can't forget this brand new King of the Road that was listed at a BIN of 99 Euros ($115). The jacket sat there for two or three days until someone finally nabbed it. I saw it too late and even asked why did they sell it for so low, and the dude just said it didn't fit him. Was it stolen? TBH, the possibility never even occur to me at the time, I was just sad I missed out on a dream deal...
Looking at items like iPads for sale on Ebay it is surprising how many are locked and come without chargers. That is usually an indication they are stolen. Honest sellers take the bother to unlock their Ipads so that new buyers can use them. Any frequent Ebay buyer has likely unwittingly bought stolen items.

IXL

One Too Many
These jackets could be unloaded in a relatively short period of time, and with no connection to the interwebs. True value of the merchandise has little to do with it. Folks on the street will give $25.00 for a leather jacket. So will that guy sporting the hipster vibe in the coffee shop. Folk festivals, trade fairs, movie houses. The cab driver sitting in a diner. For a cheap enough price, even if the jacket doesn't fit, everyone knows 'someone' who would want it. Hell, you can quickly solve your "what to get Reggie for his birthday" problem just by buying a pretty good looking leather jacket from that nice person over there who struck up a conversation with you. What do you mean, stolen?

I wish the Calder family good luck with this. As some here are aware, I really, really don't like theft or thieves.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They could be taking them apart to pattern them. Which would be very sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllanP

Familiar Face
These jackets could be unloaded in a relatively short period of time, and with no connection to the interwebs. True value of the merchandise has little to do with it. Folks on the street will give $25.00 for a leather jacket. So will that guy sporting the hipster vibe in the coffee shop. Folk festivals, trade fairs, movie houses. The cab driver sitting in a diner. For a cheap enough price, even if the jacket doesn't fit, everyone knows 'someone' who would want it. Hell, you can quickly solve your "what to get Reggie for his birthday" problem just by buying a pretty good looking leather jacket from that nice person over there who struck up a conversation with you. What do you mean, stolen?

I wish the Calder family good luck with this. As some here are aware, I really, really don't like theft or thieves.

Yeah but I doubt they would target Aero if they wanted to just dump it for 25 bucks a pop, that's not even worth the effort for them.

I bet they already had scum bag buyers lined up before they planned it

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Hopefully the cops do their due diligence in finding the perps. My truck was stolen in March right out from my back drive. I had video surveillance footage of the two turds who did it. I couldn't pay the CPD to send me an email address to forward the footage and have a cop look at it. I was in a frothy rage for about two months over it. Feeling violated and ignored.

I know that feeling all too well. I had a Volkswagen GTI stolen from in front of my house. It was uninsured and never to be found; I was just SOL. I was pissed.

IXL

One Too Many
Yeah but I doubt they would target Aero if they wanted to just dump it for 25 bucks a pop, that's not even worth the effort for them.

I bet they already had scum bag buyers lined up before they planned it

Having seen many, many business burglaries, most are committed by a few punks who steal a vehicle, use it to haul off whatever loot they get, and attempt to sell everything fast, which usually means cheap. There is a very real possibility they had no idea of the real value of the items stolen: it's still pretty easy money, considering the minimal "investment" required.
A band of international jewel thieves branching out by plotting a caper for high-end leathers, on behalf of nebulous underground brokers located in European capitals comes in a close second, though. I just figure the odds are that this is just a half step above a common smash-and-grab, based on what little I know of the crime. Regardless, I sincerely hope the Calders recover their merchandise.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I don't think this is a 'let's just get in there and see what's in there' break-in. Aero's factory is a very old, sandstone building that you could easily miss if you're not paying attention - it's completely closed off to the main road that passes it and definitely not a place you could just enter on a whim. Also the sheer weight of carrying the stuff out would be off-putting. If you were going in there on the off-chance of getting something then I doubt you'd persevere with 110 FQHH jackets.

Having seen many, many business burglaries, most are committed by a few punks who steal a vehicle, use it to haul off whatever loot they get, and attempt to sell everything fast, which usually means cheap. There is a very real possibility they had no idea of the real value of the items stolen: it's still pretty easy money, considering the minimal "investment" required.
A band of international jewel thieves branching out by plotting a caper for high-end leathers, on behalf of nebulous underground brokers located in European capitals comes in a close second, though. I just figure the odds are that this is just a half step above a common smash-and-grab, based on what little I know of the crime. Regardless, I sincerely hope the Calders recover their merchandise.
It's true. The little rotten bastards that stole my truck were using it as a mobile store to sell stolen shoes ripped off of cargo trains. When my truck was recovered it was full of empty shoe boxes and a sleeping bag and pizza boxes. Some asshat was living in it. This a lot of valuable loot tho. Depends how stupid/ desperate they are.

Sounds ridiculous when I think it, but the fact that the hangers were still there on the rack is just telling.
Like there was some "respect" for the place in spite of the crime. I have thoughts I can't post but it's odd to me...

Sounds ridiculous when I think it, but the fact that the hangers were still there on the rack is just telling.
Like there was some "respect" for the place in spite of the crime. I have thoughts I can't post but it's odd to me...

Nah, the hangars were actually all over the place. Staff put them back on the rack but the place was a mess in the morning.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

There was a post a couple of pages back explaining the that facebook photo of hangers on a rack wasn't an image of how they were found, it was just an image to draw peoples attention to the post...

Oh, and the coat hangers, we brought back down from the loft where they'd abandoned them before squeezing them through a small window (which has been boarded over now!). Good coat hangers are hard to find so I guess it's at least something they didn't take all of them too...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran