Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breaking out the Straws

vonwotan

Practically Family
If only I knew about this web site a few years ago.:eusa_doh: I shopped at Worth & Worth and JJ Hat center for quite a number of years before I realized that I could find excellent quality hats elsewhere for less. Had I known about vintage hats back then I would not own more than half of the newly made hats I do now!

Panamabob said:
PM sent. $500.00 is quite a price.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_3089.jpg

Adam pana-brisa

IMG_2721.jpg

unmarked milan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Beautiful collection!

I'm working up to getting a plantation/gambler style panama for the summer. We shall have to see. But that's a super bunch you have there!:eusa_clap

Celicaboy1981

New in Town
That is a great collection, I am rather jealous. ;) There's something about the look of panama straw fedoras that I like even more than their felt brothers. I almost want to walk around year round wearing one and an off white summer weight suit, reminds me of the bad guys we always see in the movies lol. But being as I live in the Pacific Northwest that ain't going to happen, so I guess I'll enjoy it for the 3-4 months of spring and summer that I can. :)

Just had its first outing of the year the other day. Looks like it'll be seeing some sun this bank holiday weekend! :D

I know pretty much nothing about this hat (quality, straw type etc). It is marked genuine Panama on the sweatband, has an export stamp on the straw on the underside of the sweatband, and going by the red pleated ribbon with herringbone diagonal accents, i'm thinking 50s. Very wide 3" brim and lowish crown. It got really wet when a thunderstorm hit after a fine day in Lafayette last summer. Before that it was pretty stiff; now it's loosened up and is a very pliable straw hat. Who knows the quality, i don't care it's a great hat . . .

Straw1.jpg

I usually wear it brim up all around with some sunglasses. When it gets really bright (in Britain? Yeah right, whatever) i pop the brim down in front for a bit more protection.

Straw2.jpg

Here's a shot of the top of the hat showing some rings in the weave.

Straw3.jpg

bk

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Looks nice!

You can see the criss-cross and the diamond weave making those lines. That means Brisa weave, Cuenca. Nice, nice weave. Great hat. Too bad there aren't any oceans around our parts. Go HOOSIERS!

skybluewater

New in Town
Spiridon

4th photo L-R: PanamaBob Montecristi, Dobbs Shantung, Dobbs Milan weave

Who did the blocking on the PanamaBob Montecristi? What style is it?

Thanks.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Great looking straw you have there Baron! :eusa_clap

...Skyblue, that PB Monte was blocked in Ecuador if my memory serves me correctly, the style was a "Classic C". :D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
English style Panamas

spiridon said:
As noted in a few other threads recently, it is getting to be that time of year when the weather dictates bringing out the straw hats. I hated putting some of my felts up for the Summer, but at the same time I am having a good time "rediscovering" some old friends I haven't seen during the winter months. I hope y'all will post pictures of your warm weather offerings, I know I've seen some GREAT straws from various members here already!! Here are some pictures of the ones I recently placed into my daily rotation. The pics don't really do most of these any justice.A mixture of Montecristis, Milan, Shauntung, etc......

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

I was never one for the crease in the crown Monte but looking at that one and seeing them in Agatha Christie movies etc I now think they are a great look especially the one in the pix.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I heard it was a freebie giveaway not up to standard of a Jamaican Panamanian Hattress from a distinguished line of hatters...that diamond with the brown ribbon. Of course, I was probably just told that because we sold the hat to the hattress and that brood always puts our hats, and everyone else's hats, too.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Looks nice!

You can see the criss-cross and the diamond weave making those lines. That means Brisa weave, Cuenca. Nice, nice weave. Great hat. Too bad there aren't any oceans around our parts. Go HOOSIERS!

I just may have to find out a hat or two you can help me obtain. You are not all that far distance wise from me, is everything you sell internet, or do you have a retail store? With Spring on it's way, I am already planning ahead to move out some of my Felt Furs hats as I need the room, but to grab up some Straw hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner