Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brent Black's Panamas / Panama Hats Direct's Panamas

AndyR

One of the Regulars
If money was no object and I wanted a really top shelf hat, I'd buy from BB. The blocking and finishing looks much more crisp and finely done than the PHD hat.

I do have a PHD panama and I'm pleased with it for the price. Money 'was' an object. I think the weave is really nice, however, it seems to be more along the lines of a fino class rather than the super fino it was advertised to be. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with what I got. It looks great.

However, I concur with all the comments on the ribbon, liner and sweatband. I think the hot melt glue option for the ribbon is a little cheesy. The sweat leaves a lot to be deisred as does the liner, but I think it was worth the price.

If the straw breaks on a Panama, can it always be repaired? Or sometimes is it impossible to repair, and the whole hat has to be thrown out?
Like most things...."it depends". I have repaired splits in the Panama straw by gluing a ribbon and/or very thin leather of a similar colour to the back side as a 'boot'. If it is a slit then I it is successful in hiding the break. I am working on one now that has an actual hole....with missing straw. Not sure what the hell I will do other than finding ribbon or leather of the same colour to boot the backside. It will never present as a pristine hat any longer but I think I can return it to a nice and serviceable Panama. The boot at least will prevent the disintegration of the straw from spreading. It is a shame as it is an expensive Panama.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
It will never present as a pristine hat any longer but I think I can return it to a nice and serviceable Panama. The boot at least will prevent the disintegration of the straw from spreading. It is a shame as it is an expensive Panama.

Short of a catastrophic failure of the straw, I'm sure there are tons of things that can be done to 'doctor up' a damaged panama, but yeah, it 'is' too bad when it's an expensive one. Good luck with your repair.

Short of a catastrophic failure of the straw, I'm sure there are tons of things that can be done to 'doctor up' a damaged panama, but yeah, it 'is' too bad when it's an expensive one. Good luck with your repair.
If I can find an old discarded Panama I can extract individual straw fibres and one by one glue them in place to slowly close the hole. Painstaking but rewarding if I can get it done. But first to find that scrap Panama.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
If I can find an old discarded Panama I can extract individual straw fibres and one by one glue them in place to slowly close the hole. Painstaking but rewarding if I can get it done. But first to find that scrap Panama.
I guess it's the same concept of repairing the caining on a chair only much smaller. That would be a great fix.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the straw breaks on a Panama, can it always be repaired? Or sometimes is it impossible to repair, and the whole hat has to be thrown out?
Depending on were the break is located (like on the brim) I have on occasion turned a ripped Panama into a really nice Duplex. That is I've had a ripped Panama turned into a Duplex by Mike Miller.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
When I was asking about repairing the straw of damaged Panamas, I meant, is it possible for weavers to fix the straw and weave new straws into it?

As for what to do about my dilemma: I decided to go with another Panama Hats Direct hat for now, one of their $325 ones. I'm sure the Brent Black one with the same type of weave count would be better, but I can't really justify the extra $675 USD that it would cost me.

And also, that would take a month or more to get to me (not that I fault Brent for that; I don't), whereas Panama Hats Direct said they could probably send me the new hat after they work on it for a day...since I asked them to reduce a 60 cm hat to 59 cm size, and block it in EXLO.

And I asked them to stitch the ribbon instead of gluing it, and they said they have no problem doing that. I hope the new hat doesn't have a bow that flops away from the rest of the ribbon, like my old hat from them with the glued ribbon does. That crap drives me nuts.

By the way, I just had a great idea: maybe I can ask Panama Hats Direct if they would be willing to sell unfinished hat bodies so that in the future maybe I could buy one then have Tom or someone like that finish them.

What would be the most diplomatic way to ask something like that, without offending them? Or should I just ask them directly and not worry about how undiplomatic it might sound?

Last edited:

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I just received one of these and I am very happy with it. It compared favorably with my vintage parabuntal.

Tom

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
My search for a Panama has been a long and frustrating journey. Back in the old days of 2005-2010 if I recall, PanamaBob used to provide value for money, until the wait time got too long and I think he experienced issues (documented on this Lounge elsewhere). I was lucky enough to get a few of his decent weaves blocked through Art and Batstakes (I think). Both had small issues, wear primarily, and back in the old days Optimo did a full refurbishment on non-optimo purchased hats for $200-300 and I got these reblocked and re-banded. I also picked up a Borsalino Monecristi (rare nowadays) with a cloth band and had Optimo redo it. Another was a Tesi from JJ Hats, replaced the cloth sweatband too. I also went for a $600 Montecristi from Optimo, and it was a great disappointment - hard and the weave was coarse. Building of buying Panama hats can be a long and frustrating journey until you come up with what you want. But you can get there in the end, but it's not a simple journey. Would I do it again? I guess I would, but had I known it would be so long and costly, maybe not! Enjoy the journey nonetheless...

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Gents,

What a great discussion. I have to second the opinions on Brent Black; I will make one tiny addition:

I own one Brent Black hat that I picked up on eBay, and it is worth commenting that even a casual observer can note that it is a high quality hat. Mine is not one of the crazy super fine fino $$$ weaves, but the hat is super well made and looks very, very nice.

Daniel

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I have attached a photo of the hat that Panama Hats Direct is about to ship to me.

I circled a black spot that looks kind of weird to me with an orange circle.

Do you guys think that is weird? Is that something you would be concerned about it if it was your hat that you were about to have shipped to you?

What do you think that is?

Is that a reason to object to the hat?

I've also emailed the company to ask them what it is, and I've yet to hear a reply from them about that, but I'd like to hear your feedbacks as well.

Secondary question: do you think the hat in the photo looks like a good value for a price of $325 USD?

Attachments

• whatisthat.jpg
    whatisthat.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 151
I have attached a photo of the hat that Panama Hats Direct is about to ship to me.

Do you guys think that is weird? Is that something you would be concerned about it if it was your hat that you were about to have shipped to you?

What do you think that is?

Is that a reason to object to the hat?

I've also emailed the company to ask them what it is, and I've yet to hear a reply from them about that, but I'd like to hear your feedbacks as well.

Secondary question: do you think the hat in the photo looks like a good value for a price of $325 USD?

Good looking hat. I wouldn’t worry about that small mark at all, but it’s your money and your hat.

AndyR

One of the Regulars

I think it's a good looking hat! I wouldn't let the black spot bother me, especially since it's on the side and so close to the ribbon. Considering these are hand woven hats made out of natural materials, I've learned not to expect perfection.

I know if it were me and I returned it for another, I'd end up with one that was worse in another way and I'd be wishing I had kept the first one. It has happened to me often.

Jose Antonio

New in Town
Why the genuine Montecristi Panama Hats by Domingo Carranza are expensive?
After I saw this. I know it is even a cheap hatter.

Attachments

• 26--4-weeks-of-work-carranza-hats-500-600.png
    26--4-weeks-of-work-carranza-hats-500-600.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 3-24-weeks-of-work-Carranza-hats-630-500.png
    3-24-weeks-of-work-Carranza-hats-630-500.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 107

truffaux

New in Town
The easiest way to repair a cracked Panama hat is to run a bead of silicone on the inside of the hat where the crack is. It is sticky so you can push the loose fibres from the outside inwards. Then the breakage will stop and you will save your hat. I have done it hundreds of times and it rocks.
If you want more info check out https://www.truffaux.com/blogs/panama-hat-advice/how-to-fix-a-broken-panama-hat
Or
https://www.truffaux.com/blogs/panama-hat-advice/how-to-reshape-the-brim-on-your-panama-hat
If you want to work out Panama hat problems, just ask me - I have been doing it for 20 years professionally and I am very practical.
Warm Regards
Oska

The truth

New in Town
I've only owned two Panamas. One was a mass-produced one it was not very good

Several years ago I also bought a second Panama from Panama Hats Direct. It was a major step-up from my previous mass-produced Panama, but I have no other frame of reference for knowing how good of a quality it is.

Now about 5 years later, that Panama has lost its shape and needs to be sent in for cleaning in and re-blocking, but I will need to buy a second Panama to use while the first is being serviced.

And this leads me to the question of whether I should buy from Panama Hats Direct again, or Brent Black.

On Brent Black's website he claims "You won’t find a better hat at a better price."

However, when I compare the weave count numbers listed on his website, with the price tied to those weave counts, and then do the same with Panama Hats Direct's website, that quotation from Brent Black seems like it might not be accurate, if all other things are equal.

But I do not have enough knowledge to judge this matter properly, which I why I am asking you gentlemen if you can please tell me if that quoted claim is true or untrue.

For example, Panama Hats Direct lists:

In a comparable listing (I think?), Brent Black lists:

So say I went with the Brent Black instead of the Panama Hats Direct option, then would I truly be getting the $675 USD worth of extra value from the Brent Black?

And if so, why? What are the factors that would make the Brent Black one be the better option, quality-wise?
The diferente also it is on the finishing of the hat BB has better finish than PHD but the weave count it is around the same. A little advice there is a new page called Panamahatsdepot.com they are just getting started but thst does not means thst they don’t know anything about the business. The owner is William Ramírez and it used to be manager in PHD for 20 years. You should visit his website and you can give him a call or write him snd he can help you finding the hat that you need and probably also give you a discount since they are launching the page. You will not be disappointed. Hope it helps

The diferente also it is on the finishing of the hat BB has better finish than PHD but the weave count it is around the same. A little advice there is a new page called Panamahatsdepot.com they are just getting started but thst does not means thst they don’t know anything about the business. The owner is William Ramírez and it used to be manager in PHD for 20 years. You should visit his website and you can give him a call or write him snd he can help you finding the hat that you need and probably also give you a discount since they are launching the page. You will not be disappointed. Hope it helps
Does he glue his crown ribbons together? What quality of leather sweat bands does he use? Or are they the same as PHD?

The truth

New in Town
Does he glue his crown ribbons together? What quality of leather sweat bands does he use? Or are they the same as PHD?
No, he is getting better bands stitched not glued and he is getting a softer leather sweat bands or fabric depends of what you desire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko