Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

JEEP

Practically Family
It comes with a three years warranty.

I am quite sure the case could hold my laptop (a 15.4") - but it lacks protective padding. With a "skin" for the laptop I think it could work out allright. But, actually I am planning to use it for carrying my lunchbox, a thermo of coffee and whatever book I am currently reading to work :)

/Jakob

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my take:

If you want to put in your laptop, do you have an existing skin? Otherwise, that is a pretty price to pay for a bookbag, unless you really want it (Says the woman who carried a man's Italian Aluminum Briefcase for years).

If your thermos leaks, is the exterior as well as interior water repellent and stain resistant?

Vintage Betty

JEEP

Practically Family
I didn't pay full price - the hunting shop where I work carries most of Baron's contry colection. My boss offered me the bag for a bargain after finding out how much I liked it :)

I don't have a skin for my laptop - but I am going to buy one asap.

Oh yes, the horror of the leaking thermos; having tried that more than enough times I always carry my thermos in a closed plastic back. I once managed to ruin around $90 worth of school-books with a leaking thermos. I currently use a Tatonka "hot and cold stuff" thermos, I have never experienced one of those leak.

/Jakob

Vintage Betty

JEEP said:
I didn't pay full price - the hunting shop where I work carries most of Baron's contry colection. My boss offered me the bag for a bargain after finding out how much I liked it :)

I don't have a skin for my laptop - but I am going to buy one asap.

Oh yes, the horror of the leaking thermos; having tried that more than enough times I always carry my thermos in a closed plastic back. I once managed to ruin around $90 worth of school-books with a leaking thermos. I currently use a Tatonka "hot and cold stuff" thermos, I have never experienced one of those leak.

/Jakob

Ah...I'm liking this pack better all the time. :D

Skins are really worth their weight in gold, I mean why do people save $10 on a skin for a $2000 laptop when it could protect it better? I'd buy the best for your lifestyle that will fit that size pack. Just remember, the padding will probably add a 1/2" or so to your laptop size, so be sure to measure and plan all around. It's a pain, but I'd also advise some type of closure for the top of the skin, NOT the open topped skin, because you never know which way the bag might be jostled or fall.

And same thing with the thermos. The better ones really are worth their value = no leaks.

Sounds like you got a great deal AND will be cool at the same time! ;)

Congrats!

Vintage Betty

JEEP

Practically Family
My bosses (an elderly couple) are really nice people - and they really dig me wearing vintage clothing at work. The shop has a large selection of caps and fedoras (though only cheep wool ones) - and classic hunting attire, such as tweed-wests and knickers.

Btw. thank you for taking the time for giving me this advice, I appriciate that a lot :)

Regards.

Jakob

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Vintage Betty

My pleasure. A couple more suggestions, if I may:

If you are going to purchase a padded skin with a flap over cover, measure the thickness to make sure the width will fit into the compartment. You wouldn't believe the times my laptop wouldn't fit into a carryall bag because it was too thick in its padded case. :eusa_doh: And the previous comment regarding protection on top was because I had an open-top padded bag, and my bag fell and cracked the corner of my laptop, since it slipped out of the bag.

Put idenfication on your laptop, interior bag, and laptop bag with the word REWARD and a way to reach you the same day you get the bag. Remember to place this info on the bottom of your thermos or use one of the permanent glue ID tag systems like they have here in the States called StuffBak. And to keep this on topic, these tags can also be affixed to your vintage goods discreetly if you take them out of your home. I don't see any reason why one of these tags couldn't be slipped into an interior hatband.

It's amazing how many things I have found over the years with no ID when I worked in an office building.

With careful planning, you can even find a slipcase that matches your new bag if desired.

You're welcome!

Vintage Betty

JEEP

Practically Family
Marking the things with my name, phonenumber etc. is a good idea - I'll get to that right away. Offering a reward is a great idea too. The bag comes with a small "ID-card" which you can register at Baron - the ID-cards instructs the finder to send the bag to Baron, they'll then match the card with their database and send the bag to the buyer - I guess that's quite an impressive service to be offering.
Here in Denmark you can actually go to the police and borrow an "easy to use" engraving kit for engraving your name/mark into computers, televisions, hi-fis, etc. I think I'll do that.

It could be rather cool to find a skin that matches either the interior or exterior of the bag - I'll make sure not to buy an open-topped one.

We have this travel-bag at the store as well: http://www.baron.se/world/index.php...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8 - I think I may have to take the plunge on that as some point as well :) Imho it would look perfect together with the brief case and a small leather vintage suitcase.

Regards.

Jakob

tonypaj

Practically Family
JEEP said:
Marking the things with my name, phonenumber etc. is a good idea - I'll get to that right away. Offering a reward is a great idea too. The bag comes with a small "ID-card" which you can register at Baron - the ID-cards instructs the finder to send the bag to Baron, they'll then match the card with their database and send the bag to the buyer - I guess that's quite an impressive service to be offering.
Here in Denmark you can actually go to the police and borrow an "easy to use" engraving kit for engraving your name/mark into computers, televisions, hi-fis, etc. I think I'll do that.

It could be rather cool to find a skin that matches either the interior or exterior of the bag - I'll make sure not to buy an open-topped one.

We have this travel-bag at the store as well: http://www.baron.se/world/index.php...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8 - I think I may have to take the plunge on that as some point as well :) Imho it would look perfect together with the brief case and a small leather vintage suitcase.

Regards.

Jakob

You're going my route :) A few years ago I needed exactly the same stuff, but I used two different makers:

http://www.chapmanbags.com/ChapmanBagsSite/product/Briefcases+and+Folio+Bags_Briefcases/NKB17.htm

http://www.alexandremareuil.com/pro...il&product_id=114&groups_id=34&category_id=18

The briefcase is olive, the travel bag brown canvas...

The only problem I have is that the travel bag is not useful for plane travel, but that's a minor detail. Anyway, I like your choices...

tonypaj

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Nice bag Jakob - just bought myself this Barbour, after looking at it for ages.:D
928_1.jpg

928_2.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice one Jeep, that's going to come in real handy.

And Spitty, I'm jealous, I've seen that Barbour before and have been wanting it ever since. Well done :)

JEEP

Practically Family
Thanks gentlemen.

Spitfire; you bag looks really nice - we have some sweaters and pullovers from Barbour at the store, great quality they are.

/Jakob

NonEntity

Suspended
JEEP,

Baron looks like it makes a quality bag. I like that plaid lining.

I know you already have it, but a couple of pointers on not-so-obvious things to look for in shoulder bags, satchels, brief cases, and light carry-on luggage:

Bottom protection. Look on the bottom of the bag to see if there's anything there to protect the piece from street, sidewalk, and rough floor abrasion, as well as rain and plain old dirt. Little rubber feet are good, and brass or stainless steel is better. You would be surprised at how often you must set the bag down. In very little time, it takes a toll on the bottom of an unprotected bag. In fact, unless you are particularly hard on things, without such feet, the bottom of the bag will become filthy and wear out well before any other part.

Closures. Your bag has two traditional belt buckle type closures to hold the flap in place and provide security. Every time you open or close it, you will have to fiddle with them, and that becomes a nuisance. You will be the rare bag carrier if you buckle them back in place every time. A simpler closure is like the ones on Spitfire's Barbour bag. Notice that the straps also have the belt buckle for adjustment, but that the other end has a keyhole type of slit that slips over a little brass knob on the case. It holds reliably and is a snap to fasten and unfasten.

Another approach is to afix a quick-release type of fastener--the kind often found on camping and hiking gear--hidden behind the buckle. It looks like a traditional belt buckle closure and is still adjustable, but the quick-release fastener can be opened and closed in the blink of an eye. I have seen some very nice bags that utilize this method.

Spitfire,

That Barbour bag is a beauty! How many sheckels to you give up for it? I collect Ghurka leather and have, among other things, a shoulder bag and a business satchel, but it's become so hideously expensive that I haven't bought a piece in several years now.

In the more reasonable bracket, Filson makes some very high quality shoulder bags made of rugged twill and trimmed in leather that run from $135 to $215, depending on the size.

JEEP

Practically Family
Thank you for the advice.

The bag has, unfortunally, no bottom protection - if it starts to wear at the bottom I'll reinforce it with thick leather.

The closure doesn't really bother me - I am used to this kind of closure on my medieval bags and pouches, which I wear on fairs all through the year.

/Jakob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit