Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

invention13

New in Town
Thanks for the tip on the custom hide - it looks pretty good. Looks like you could cram a lot in there. What is the leather like? I am looking for really heavy, durable leather. I don't intend to baby whatever I end up getting. One of my co-workers has one of the original army briefcases (that is over 20 years old now) and he just tosses it around everywhere - it has taken an amazing beating and just keeps going.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This vintage military briefcase just ended on ebay. The design is the same as the Atlas. Anybody know how to date it by the interior stamping?

sewardmil040108om2.jpg

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Custom Hide

The Custom Hide leather is quite heavy and very durable. It does not scratch easily. And when it does scratch it does not detract from the appearance of the bag. Yes, the bag does hold alot. In fact the only negative thing I have to say about the custom hide bag is that it is too large to stick under an airline seat ;).

Cheers,

---Scott

mwelch8404

Familiar Face
I can second Custom Hide. I have the 4 compartment Scholar in Whisky, and it's been great.

Yes, it is big!

Edited to add: their (Custom Hide's) strap design is EXCELLENT. The straps do a great job of contolling the thickness of the case depending on your day-to-day needs.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
skbellis said:
The Custom Hide leather is quite heavy and very durable. It does not scratch easily. And when it does scratch it does not detract from the appearance of the bag. Yes, the bag does hold alot. In fact the only negative thing I have to say about the custom hide bag is that it is too large to stick under an airline seat ;).

Cheers,

---Scott
I have one of these too, it is beautiful and carries all the crap I drag to school on a daily basis. Like Scott says, they only possible downside is that it is TOO big!
Helluva deal though.

pgoat

One Too Many
beautiful case! Thank you for sharing!

My two leather bags are showing their age and I have been showing up at meetings with a back pack or bike messenger bag.....doesn't quite cut it with a suit......:rolleyes:

I would love one of these but I just cleaned out our bank account for Uncle Sam....maybe next year.:(

Dr Doran

VINTAGE BRIEFCASE. Atlas. Black.

I just scored this li'l slice of heaven through da Bay.

00d2_1.jpg

It's an Atlas black briefcase, apparently from the late 1950s. I first started bidding on a new but discontinued Korchmar Atlas model I wanted, but the price looked to get high, not that this was low.

I have a nice leather backpack, but it's a bit faded, re-dyeing will be $70, and I feel like a change of pace anyway. Plus, regardless of how nice a backpack is, it doesn't look great with a suit ...

AlanC

Very nice. An American classic. Congratulations!

You might try some black Meltonian cream on your faded black backpack.

Dr Doran

Yes, I do think these cases really look the part. And it's just more dignified to carry one of these than a backpack. The only drawback is they are huge -- absolutely monstrous. I cannot fit this one underneath my daughter's stroller, it is just so immense. You could not possibly fill it with books or else you'd hurt your spine carrying it. I am not sure what a person would fill it with. Some books and papers plus a wadded up sweater? You could fit a pair of pants, too. The volume is just immense.

The case arrived in pretty scuffed condition -- beyond the acceptable scuff quotient. I wrote the seller, who was quite generous with a partial refund, and then I bought Meltonian black cream plus Lexol goo. So I rubbed Lexol goo in, then did some Meltonian black cream, then I'll spray it with Shine 2000 -- or maybe clear leather polish first -- and now I almost have a new case.

I suppose brass polish might be a good idea.

Teacher

Familiar Face
If you're really restoring old leather, you should use something like Meltonian Leather Lotion. It has more restorative properties than plain creams. It has worked wonders for me. Years ago, I bought an old (ca. 1911) leather-bound Bible whose leather was so dry I thoguth it might have been one of the old fakes. Well, I used a good leather lotion, and the leather soaked it up so fast I was genuinely shocked. Today, it stands on my shelf as handsome as any leather product could.

AlanC

Doran said:
...I bought Meltonian black cream plus Lexol goo. So I rubbed Lexol goo in, then did some Meltonian black cream, then I'll spray it with Shine 2000 -- or maybe clear leather polish first -- and now I almost have a new case.

Tell us a little bit more about the transformation. I'm glad to hear it went well.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Doran said:
I suppose brass polish might be a good idea.

Actually, I quite like the look of patina on brass. It suits vintage cases quite well, and it's not so showy. My dad built a gun about twenty years ago (I seem to be talking about his guns a lot tonight!), a muzzle loader in -- I think -- the Bethlahem PA style. The patch box on the stock is cased in brass. Dad hasn't polished the brass once, and it has taken on the strangest and most beautiful pink and green hues.

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
Very nice acquisition. I have a newer, smaller case that I use to tote my Powerbook and other writing materials. Much more stylish than the typical computer bag.

I'm glad the restoration is working out. I agree with the comment regarding brass patina although since the rest of the case is starting to look new perhaps leaving the brass alone might be a bit incongruous. You'll be able to put your own patina on the entire case as you start to use it. Isn't that the fun part?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters