Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim too wide?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I bashed my new Camptown Metro into a diamond. I kept the crown about 4 1/4" in the front and 4 3/4" on the sides because I've found that works well with my broad face. I'm concerned that the brim looks too wide since it is 2 7/8" wide all the way around. I've never cut a brim before, so I'm a little worried to try, though I'm thinking of a dimensional cut of 2 3/4" on the sides like my DK Akubra Adventurer. What do you think? I could use some opinions here.

th_DSCN0586.jpg

th_DSCN0584.jpg

th_DSCN0599.jpg

th_DSCN0598.jpg

Thanks, everyone.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I say give yourself time to get used to the brim. It is on the wide side, but your face and the bash work well with it. Very swoopy and dashing. I wouldn't trim it if it were up to me.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I like it as it is, don't cut it!
Your hat fits you very well, I vote leave it be.
I want to get a Camptown soon, too. How would you rate it with your other hats?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As others said - give it time. It takes awhile for you to get used to the new hat's dimensions. It seems like everyone who has cut their brims wish they hadn't after it's done.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
kabuto said:
I like it! Leave it as is.

Is that a diamond, or a C-crown with a bit of a point? I though a diamond had no bump beyond what your head makes ... or am I wrong?

Thanks, everyone.

I guess its sort of a hybrid. It is a diamond, but it does have a dome in the middle. I thought a C-crown keeps the round shape in the back rather than having points, but I'm not sure of that.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
I like it as it is, don't cut it!
Your hat fits you very well, I vote leave it be.
I want to get a Camptown soon, too. How would you rate it with your other hats?

It's definitely a step above the Akubras I have with only a slightly higher price, though you do wait for them. The Metro is pretty stiff when you get it but so was my Federation. It's softened up nicely with wear. And the felt feels much nicer due to the beaver content. And it has a much nicer sweat band. It feels very comfortable. I recommend them.

shortbow

Practically Family
In my opinion, the brim width is overpowering the crown. I bet if you try a re-bash with a higher front you'll like the hat better.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
shortbow said:
In my opinion, the brim width is overpowering the crown. I bet if you try a re-bash with a higher front you'll like the hat better.

Like I said earlier, I've found that a higher crown doesn't work well with my broad face (I found this out with my Federation). So I'm back to making the brim narrower. In your opinion (and others who agreed with Shortbow), would a narrower brim also be a solution?

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Given, as you said, that a high crown doesn't compliment your face you may wish to (01) dimensionally cut the brim and (02) reduce the (brim) drop in front.

Feraud

Bartender
I do not see an issue with the crown at all in these pictures.
Give yourself time to get used to the brim. I think it looks fine on you. If you decide to have it trimmed take as little off as possible. You can alway trim it again later on.
kaosharper1 said:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I think it's the nicest Camptown I've seen to date, matched to a wearer perfectly. I think low crowns with wide brims are not suited to most people, but an exception exists here.

About crown shape; A C-crown has one point at the front pinch, and is otherwise rounded. Diamond crease has 4 points. The central bump or dome has nothing to do with in. It is a function of head room needed, the unbashed crown height, and the final height.

Most diamond crowns are the "quick and dirty" look, intended to appear hand shaped and leave the crown tall. Kao's has more of a "blocked" look to it and also is bashed low.

On the other hand, my first Federation started life as a C-crown with no hump at all. I left it very high. But it worked.

JerseyJones

Vendor
Hi Edgar,

First off, I am pleased that you like the hat itself.

As to brim width, I think it suits your face and build. At most, I would remove 1/8 of an inch from it to slim its profile a bit, but that is the max.

I say your looking good. :eusa_clap Wear it in good health !

Ken @Camptown

P.S. to those with orders from 4-6/08, I am working on shaping and shipping. Please feel free to contact me.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I think I'm going to leave it for now though I might eventually try a dimensional brim and trim 1/8" off the sides. My DM Adventurer has that brim and it looks pretty good. But for now I'm going to leave it. And thanks to Not-Bogart for complimenting my bash.

It is a great hat, and I think the Metro is a great bargain. I can imagine that the Legend is the same. Thanks, Ken, for a great hat.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Down to 2 1/2 I would say! If it`s one of many hats you have, and you are really concerned about the size of the brim, send it off for a professional trim and reshape. I know what it feels like...if you really feel its too wide, you`ll never get over it and not really wear it much. If you do wear it often, then the size is fine. The question then is not whether the width is too much, but do you wear it often....? Does that make sence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo