Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Trim - Will 1/8" Make a Noticeable Difference?

glider

A-List Customer
I used to think the same thing. Then I decided to take 1/2"-3/4" off of the brim of my Moonstone Fed IV and give it a non-dimensional 2" brim. The end results won't get me any jobs as a custom hatter, but they're good enough for me and I was surprised that the brim now seems to have a deeper flange than before:

Before:
svTHxiJ.jpg

After:
9lktEcG.jpg
That actually turned into a nice pork pie. I'd like to see it with the brim down also.

Can we see that on you snapped down in front (same poses)? It's hard to compare with it up all around like that.
That actually turned into a nice pork pie. I'd like to see it with the brim down also.
I had initially shaped it with the front of the brim down, then chose to shape it up all around. Fortunately, I did snap a couple of photos with the brim down.

Before (again):
svTHxiJ.jpg

After:
5E9h6U3.jpg

Last edited:

glider

A-List Customer
Yep, I really like the hat, but I would wear it with the brim down all the way around. You did a nice job!

Yep, I really like the hat, but I would wear it with the brim down all the way around. You did a nice job!
Thank you. The one thing about Akubra's Fed IV that I wish was different is that the brim is flanged but not with enough tension so that it snaps up and down (not on my three, anyway) like most "snap brim" hats. As a result, I've always shaped the brims on mine the same as I shaped the crowns--spray them with distilled water, shape them, and let them dry. Not a perfect solution, but it works.

That's quite a difference. It looks like a completely different hat.
I also lowered the crown just to see how low it might go with me still being able to wear it. I was aiming for 4" all the way around, but somehow ended up at 3-1/2" in the front and 3-1/4" in the back. I'm pretty sure even Fed IV fanatics wouldn't know it was one if they saw me on the street. :confused:

Thanks for the photos, @Zombie_61 ! This is a useful illustration for brim width comparisons.

I see you got a haircut and a brimcut to match! :D
You're welcome! Yeah, the first two photos were taken two or three years ago, before I chose a new barber shop and the guy who cut my hair last got a little carried away. :rolleyes: The brim cut was one of those, "Oh, what the hell, I can always get another one" spur-of-the-moment things after I lowered the crown. Funny thing is I've worn the hat more since I trimmed the brim than I did before, so I guess it was okay.

dkstott

Practically Family
I was watching a marathon showing of the show American Pickers yesterday.

The duo were in Paris Texas and Frank wanted a "westen hat". They stopped in at Paris Hatters.

He tried out a 10X Stetson hat. It was an older episode because the 10X cost $350. .Frank was concerned about the appearance of hat being too big / overwhelming. The owner not only steamed & shaped the hat. He then trimmed the brim to better suit his appearance. 1st trimming took 1/8 of an inch all the way around. 2nd trimming removed another 1/8 inch off the brim.

I'm not sure I've ever been in a hat store where the owner / sales person offered to trim the brim of a hat that I was considering.

glider

A-List Customer
I guess most hat stores are pretty much off the rack now days. I don't know of a hat store in the whole state of Missouri that does any custom work. Closest place would be Chicago I guess although that's just 300 miles. Easy day up, spend the night, get a hot dog go hat shopping, doesn't sound bad!

Samson25

Familiar Face
Agree....wear the friggin hat and forget about it.
The other day I went into town to do some shopping. Put on my Stylemaster and was out the door.
When I came home I noticed a piece of soft foam ( from the hatbox/ piece of padding) was stuck in the brim of my hat....Ran around town with the friggin foam piece wedged in the flange...the whole time.
Me...totally oblivious.
Point is, My hat is my crown, once on my head, it just stays there, period.
Is it comfortable?

Stop looking in the mirror and wear the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ