Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim up or brim down

Now that's what i'm talkin' about. A little attitude...
In my mind Pork Pie hats are all about the attitude, but it depends on who's wearing them. Worn for comedic effect by Buster Keaton and Art Carney (as Ed Norton in The Honeymooners), for a while they became associated with "tough guys" like Gene Hackman's Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle in The French Connection, Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa, and more recently by Bryan Cranston as Heisenberg in Breaking Bad. I align with the former camp myself; it's just a fun hat that shows I don't take myself too seriously.

...Looks good you got an oval face like me.
I had a squarer face when I was younger, but I think my hair is afraid of my eyebrows because my hairline has been slowly backing away from them for the last few decades. My forehead is now a fivehead working it's way towards being a sixhead. I could sell advertising space on this thing. It's one of the reasons I wear my other hats with the brims snapped down--to keep the glare from blinding people.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
In my mind Pork Pie hats are all about the attitude, but it depends on who's wearing them. Worn for comedic effect by Buster Keaton and Art Carney (as Ed Norton in The Honeymooners), for a while they became associated with "tough guys" like Gene Hackman's Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle in The French Connection, Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa, and more recently by Bryan Cranston as Heisenberg in Breaking Bad. I align with the former camp myself; it's just a fun hat that shows I don't take myself too seriously.

I had a squarer face when I was younger, but I think my hair is afraid of my eyebrows because my hairline has been slowly backing away from them for the last few decades. My forehead is now a fivehead working it's way towards being a sixhead. I could sell advertising space on this thing. It's one of the reasons I wear my other hats with the brims snapped down--to keep the glare from blinding people.
Thats me my hairline receded and my forehead grew. To get most hats down just above my ears in the back I have to steam and extend the dome on hats.:):):)

Winston Carter

Practically Family
One of my new Christy's Homburgs after a slight resizing, ignore the dumb look on my face lol.
Here you go Old Soul. Pencil roll, curled up with bound edge.
IMG_20180819_123828~2.jpg
IMG_20180819_125244~2.jpg

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Thanks, I actually don’t have that hat any more, but it was the only picture I had on the device I was answering from. It was a gem though... dang.
The reason I like stetson is the snap brim needs no steaming to look good. Just snap it up and you're done. The only thing that I have steamed on a stetson fedora is the crown to change shape.
IMG_20180811_155214~2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
With a Homburg or a top hat, yeah, brim curled up (though I've been tempted to give the 20s US university campus 'snap brim homburg' look a go someday, if I find a hat that it wouldn't ruin), but if the hat has a snap brim, putting it on my head is a two-step process - don hat, swipe hand over face to put brim down. taking them off is pretty much the same in reverse.

The only Western I have is an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe - as I bashed it I steamed the brim down at the front. My other non-snap Akubra, a Riverina bush hat, came down all round, but by this point in its life has the rear steamed up. Brim up at the front is a bit like black bowler hats for me - grand on other people, but not for my head. ;)

Edward

Bartender
The reason I like stetson is the snap brim needs no steaming to look good. Just snap it up and you're done. The only thing that I have steamed on a stetson fedora is the crown to change shape.
View attachment 132463

You suit that unbashed crown.

One of my favourite things about my Feds and Campdrafts that I've bought new is that hey came open-crown - there's something about haing my own bash - imperfect, maybe not *entirely* right looking, but undeniably mine that I love - as opposed to other has that I love but came bashed from the factory. Perhaps the same psychology as distinguishes a rocker's (in the ton-up sense) customised leather jacket from a fresh-off the factory line model...

Winston Carter

Practically Family

One of my favourite things about my Feds and Campdrafts that I've bought new is that hey came open-crown - there's something about haing my own bash - imperfect, maybe not *entirely* right looking, but undeniably mine that I love - as opposed to other has that I love but came bashed from the factory. Perhaps the same psychology as distinguishes a rocker's (in the ton-up sense) customised leather jacket from a fresh-off the factory line model...
Thanks. That is the only Open Crown that I own. I will buy some more, different colors when I see them at Hatco store. 5" crown is perfect for me. Fits in my car perfect without taking it off. The Akubra has a little bit bigger brim which is fine with me. Both Stetson and Akubra make the best fur Open Crown fedoras !!

Winston Carter

Practically Family

I have enough Pecan. Bought both these at Hatco Outlet. Same hat except ribbon bands with gold edged brims. I bashed one and left the other original.
IMG_20180818_113701.jpg

...One of my favourite things about my Feds and Campdrafts that I've bought new is that hey came open-crown - there's something about haing my own bash - imperfect, maybe not *entirely* right looking, but undeniably mine that I love - as opposed to other has that I love but came bashed from the factory...
I agree, and I think most of the hat-wearing Loungers would as well. There's nothing special about any of my creases, but I sincerely appreciate being able to achieve the crown height and crown and brim shapes that I want, and then watch my hats take on their own character as I wear them.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I agree, and I think most of the hat-wearing Loungers would as well. There's nothing special about any of my creases, but I sincerely appreciate being able to achieve the crown height and crown and brim shapes that I want, and then watch my hats take on their own character as I wear them.
The thing I like about bashing is getting that custom fit to your head. Mine aren't the best either but they are mine and fit well.:):)

Edward

Bartender
Y'all's look grand to me. Love the look of those Stetsons, I wouldn't at first glance have pegged them for the same hat. Shows what a bash/ different ribbon can do. I might have a look into Stetsons when the pound recovers a bit. That golden colour is a reallybnice shade, a notch or two lighter, I think, than Heritage Tan?

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Y'all's look grand to me. Love the look of those Stetsons, I wouldn't at first glance have pegged them for the same hat. Shows what a bash/ different ribbon can do. I might have a look into Stetsons when the pound recovers a bit. That golden colour is a reallybnice shade, a notch or two lighter, I think, than Heritage Tan?
I'm lucky. The Stetson/Resistol hat factory is about 10 mi. from my home. The Factory Outlet Store is the best. The employees will go out of their way to please you. It's hard to stay away for a hat addict.:):):)

Old Soul 427

New in Town
With a Homburg or a top hat, yeah, brim curled up (though I've been tempted to give the 20s US university campus 'snap brim homburg' look a go someday, if I find a hat that it wouldn't ruin), but if the hat has a snap brim, putting it on my head is a two-step process - don hat, swipe hand over face to put brim down. taking them off is pretty much the same in reverse.

The only Western I have is an Akubra Campdraft Deluxe - as I bashed it I steamed the brim down at the front. My other non-snap Akubra, a Riverina bush hat, came down all round, but by this point in its life has the rear steamed up. Brim up at the front is a bit like black bowler hats for me - grand on other people, but not for my head. ;)

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
I just starting to build my collection and have one legitimate Stetson fedora and some triby's. Some people have made fun of me for wearing the hat and the current style, custom hats, are straight brim or up.

I am wearing my brim up and people think it is fashionable.

As soon as I snap it down people think 'old school'.

I don't really care what people think but I am just curious how you guys wear your hats. I think flipping it up is more of a rebellious look while more formal when down.

How do you guys wear your hats?

hambone71

Practically Family
Brim down … for Phil. But I’m old school like that. I think it could have a little to do with your head and face shape. Most up brims look silly on me but a few look ok. Brim down just suits me better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran