Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

KilroyCD

One Too Many
All of mine (so far) are bound brims

I think a bound brim gives the hat a dressier look, but I'm not opposed to a raw edge. For some reason all the ones I have so far have bound brims, and truthfully, a bound or raw brim was the last thing I was looking at. When trying on a hat, I just look to see if it looks good on my head.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
KilroyCD said:
I think a bound brim gives the hat a dressier look, but I'm not opposed to a raw edge. For some reason all the ones I have so far have bound brims, and truthfully, a bound or raw brim was the last thing I was looking at. When trying on a hat, I just look to see if it looks good on my head.

I agree one hundred percent. Bound or Raw, as long as a hat works, it works. Or thats my one and a half cents. :D

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
J.T.Marcus said:
I like variety. It's the spice of life (and of collecting). :)[/QUOTE

I agree - bounded would be my favorite, but it's nice to have a variety for whatever mood you're in or whatever the occasion calls for.

Edward

Bartender
Can't say I would have a preference for one or the other.... I don't have a bound edge at present (well, if you're being picky, my Hombergs and toppers are, but as those tend to always be....), but I have my eye on an Akubra Stylemaster at present.

Al

One of the Regulars
duggap said:
For some time I have preferred the raw edge to a brim. But I ordered a hat from Art and forgot to tell him to leave it raw and it came back with a binding. I have always felt a bound brim was too dressy. What are your favorites and why?:)

Sorry for sounding like such a dumb ass newbie; but, I'm a bit confused.

Binding, bound?? Are we talking about welt and/or welting here!?!

My fedoras - all two of them - are raw brim (I know what that is!). I'm currently looking into my next acquisition being a welted brim; though, I haven't made up my mind if it should be an underwelt or an overwelt.

I tend to believe an underwelt has the appearance of a more finished look, particularly with a front snap - am I making any sense!?!

Welt, that's my penny's worth (pun intented).

-Al

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Like 'em all!

Like them raw, bound, or pencil curled. It all depends on the hat. Own both raw and bound. Haven't found the pencil curl that I think would look good on me yet. Maybe the right Homburg, maybe a nice high crown Derby or Victorian era Bowler. I'll know when I find it. Suggestions welcome.

Regards,
alphy27

Flieger

Practically Family
Joining the chant: I also like them both ways - Bound and raw. The raw ones often give the hat a more rugged feeling while the bound (and welted ones) feel more "dressy" IMHO.

/F

Wesne

One of the Regulars
I don't really have a preference,and I don't look at a bound brim as being necessarily dressier, either. Raw, bound, welted, however the brim is finished is just part of the overall design, just like the color scheme, the width of the ribbon and the shape of the bow. As long as it all comes together to have that indefinable rightness I like it.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is as follows:

bound: ribbon sewn over the edge
raw: unbound; the edge is cut and maybe sanded, but otherwise untouched
welted: the edge is folded over and sewn to itself like the hem of a trouser
underwelt: the edge is folded down and sewn under the brim
overwelt: the edge is folded up and sewn over the brim
cavanaugh edge: edge is folded over and felted back into the brim

I own all but underwelt and cavanaugh. The cavanaugh definitely seems to have the greatest functional appeal, but the are hard to come by since they aren't made anymore. Of the others, I like my Whippet's bound brim quite a bit, but it's still new, and is my first bound brim, so maybe in a year or two I'll change my mind.

Al

One of the Regulars
HEY SPELLFLOWER!

Spellflower said:
bound: ribbon sewn over the edge
raw: unbound; the edge is cut and maybe sanded, but otherwise untouched
welted: the edge is folded over and sewn to itself like the a trouser hem
underwelt: the edge is folded down and sewn under the brim
overwelt: the edge is folded up and sewn over the brim
cavanaugh edge: edge is folded over and felted back into the brim

Thanks for the enlightenment on the semantics of "hat speak."

I've seen bound brims and now know the difference between a bound brim and a welted brim, got it!!

Thanks for sharing.

-Al

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Thanks Spellflower. You went above and beyond. :cheers1:
I didn't know what a Cavanaugh Edge was either.

Al

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
I like them both ways. But I really dont think of my Campdraft as being dressy, but I do think of a wider bound edge such as a Whippet as rather dressy.

Wider bound, Whippet!?! Got any pictures??

-Al

Al

One of the Regulars
Hey RBH,

I've seen a much skinnier bounding, but, never one this wide. Thanks for the image. Man, you go beyond the call of duty.

Thanks again for educating us all (or me at least).

-Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80