Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

Spellflower

Practically Family
Mustang said:
Thanks Spellflower. You went above and beyond. :cheers1:
I didn't know what a Cavanaugh Edge was either.

Really, all I did was waste a lot of perfectly good hours hangin' out in this joint! The least I can do to redeem myself is save others the trouble!;)

Al

One of the Regulars
Spellflower said:
Really, all I did was waste a lot of perfectly good hours hangin' out in this joint! The least I can do to redeem myself is save others the trouble!;)

Your effort is appreciated!!

-Al

deelovely

Practically Family
Bama Mike said:
J.T.Marcus said:
I like variety. It's the spice of life (and of collecting). :)[/QUOTE

I agree - bounded would be my favorite, but it's nice to have a variety for whatever mood you're in or whatever the occasion calls for.
Exactly!! Bound brims are my favorite but variety is best! :D

duggap

Banned
Thanks for all the replies. Funny how our taste in hats change as we wear them. I am actually going to order my next hat from Art with a bound brim. Go figure. :D

mingoslim

Practically Family
A Cav Edge . . .

If you can find it . . .
Second choice depends on the hat . . . but usually an over-welt, underwelt, or bound edge is my preference. I do nt think I currently have a single hat with a raw edge in my current rotation . . .

Donato

One of the Regulars
Although both of my fedoras have a raw edge, as I read and learn, I am more inclined now to prefer a welted edge - under or overwelt - like the Stetson Whippet or Windham, Akubra Stylemaster, Bogart, etc. I have not been able to find a Stetson Whippet. Are they vintage or is Stetson still making them?

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
duggap said:
The Whippet that most are referring to is the vintage one. If they still make them, it would not be the same hat or style. Keep checking OFAS.:)

I have a question: what the heck does "OFAS" mean? I've seen it here dozens of times but am clueless. And I work for the U.S. military so I'm pretty fluent in acronymese!

Edward

Bartender
RockBottom said:
I have a question: what the heck does "OFAS" mean? I've seen it here dozens of times but am clueless. And I work for the U.S. military so I'm pretty fluent in acronymese!

"Our Favourite Auction Site" = eBay. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wide, bound and sitting proud (pics)

This is the hat that was trialled on the US Project! Took a lot of knocks and came up smiling!! A good wide brim that was effective keeping the Californian Desert sun at bay as much as the rain in Boston and the blizzard snow in Maine.

Vintage ribbon and bound edge. Good high crown balances the width of the brim nicely. Can easily be worn with the snap brim up or down at back or front as the feeling takes you. A fine full beaver hat that has more than exceeded my expectations, because it is as sharp to look at on the parade ground of the city streets as it is out in the field as a workhorse!! :eusa_clap

howardhughesAviatorhat015.jpg

howardhughesAviatorhat006.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It is indeed a beautiful hat. Beautifully soft, and I was there when Mr Middleton removed it from a bag and slipped it into shape.... definitely a high quality piece. One day...

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Snap it up, or down

Just curious what you all do with your brim when you take your fedora off at the end of the day. Do you snap the brim back up or leave it down? Does it matter?
I tend to leave front brim snapped down (when hanging on a hook for the night) unless I am storing them back in their box, then I snap the front back up. Is this correct or is there a more correct way?[huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I usually snap it up when I'm not wearing it. I read that over time, the snap will be lost if it stays down all the time. From what I can see, it's true. Plus, the felt will "learn" that snap and be less adjustable should you decide to play around.

carldelo

One Too Many
From a physics standpoint, I would say that when the brim is snapped up all the way around, it is in a relaxed state. When you snap the front down to wear it, the 'spring' of the brim is in a stretched state. If left this way all the time, the outer edge of the brim would tend to elongate, reducing the effectiveness of the spring. Generally speaking, things with springs should be stored in a relaxed state when not being used, so I keep my brims snapped up when they're on the rests. You could also ask one of the hatters on the Lounge, to see how they store their inventory.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 and Carldelo, thank you for your input. You both make a lot of sense. I have started to flip the front brim back up when I am not wearing my hats. I don't what to stretch them out or lose the snap! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80