Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Torpedo said:
Hi,

I think these can look good with the brim up if the brim is not more than 2 3/4 or so. This is evidenced by the various pics above. The presidents, Harvey Keitel and our own Paladin are in this case. In my opinion the brim up does not work for RLK's hat, nor would it in Jimmy's.

Also, it is my feeling that the brim up style complements better a cattleman's crease, as would a centerdent, because this is a more simetrical crease and harmonizes better with the all around up brim. An effect similar to that seen in a homburg.

All of the above is my opinion, and personal tastes obviously play a part.

I agree with Torpedo completely. I think the brim up goes with the Western classic cattleman's crease in an OR style; in the soft, fedora style OR, it has to be down, at least on me and on most people I have seen. My fedora style OR just looks goofy on me unless the brim is down and a downturned brim on a cattleman's crease is sacreligious (IMHO). I can't get away with the brim up style like De Niro did in the "Godfather" film and I'm not sure even Jimmy could pull it off with his creasing style.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
When you look at yourself in a mirror your eyes are below the brim of your hat.That's why most people think they look dorky.When you look at someone else wearing brim up they look fine,that's because of the different perspective.

Goose.

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
[huh] ???
Was just stating that you were being very nice in your comments and I didn't acknowledge that in the manner of a gentleman.

On the brim up/down discussion, I agree with Mr. Paladin's observation about the brim width making a difference indeed. But "Mongo", pic of the tractor driver, seems to pull it off ;)

babs

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
Yep, what that N-B13 gent said.

For others I guess it is a matter of choice. I like stingy brims. I like the turned up stingy brims.

As much as I'd like to, I can't pull off a stingy brim. Turned up, on me, is even worse. I still wear a stingy now and then, so it's a choice for me too, but I just can't do the upturned :(

Same hat, Akubra Hampton...

555740459_6igYL-S.jpg
492022682_YKTVk-S-2.jpg

I dunno.. That's a cool look with the brim up for you as well.. Good study in how the brim direction denotes the mood. Brim up in that pic kinda says to me there's a good conversation coming and "yeah I've got some Coletrain and Miles Davis in the CD collection." The brim down pic says "I'm on a mission for the best spot in town, but that doesn't mean I gotta have sun in my eyes to get there."

perterra

New in Town
Mike in Seattle said:
Perhaps if you're a Latin Benny Hill wannabee...

:D

I can only say, these guys are really out in the sun all day, aint trying to look cool, just looking for shade.

I threw that up because so many people post photos of theirselves in hats and they always look so serious. Come on folks, smile a little. lol

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
perterra said:
:D

I can only say, these guys are really out in the sun all day, aint trying to look cool, just looking for shade.

I threw that up because so many people post photos of theirselves in hats and they always look so serious. Come on folks, smile a little. lol

IMG_1733.jpg

Brim Up, cause I felt like it! trying to look cool WITH a smile :)

perterra

New in Town
djgo-cat-go said:
IMG_1733.jpg

Okay, now thats how its supposed to look. The hat dont make the man, the man makes the hat. :eusa_clap

Justdog

Practically Family
Upturn

Michaelshane said:
This is a Stetson sovereign that I wear brim up as much as brim down....

P1040576_edited-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Another case where the Brim looks great up, a little more casual and probably just as good down.:eusa_clap

Chinaski

One Too Many
Goose. said:

But I do a kick butt rendition of "My Dog Has Fleas" lol

529221069_dmtay-S.jpg

Goose, I know that tune well myself! My Dad taught me to tune a uke that way. I'm not sure if I can play it better than you but I'm up for a Uke-Off!:)

Goose.

Practically Family
Marcus said:
I just got my Akubra stylemaster a couple days ago and it came with brim up. ...
Hi Marcus...I don't have a Stylemaster. But the few Akubra hats I have received in the mail were all shipped brim up. Guessing this is how they are stored. But my first Sydney off the shelf, was brim down in front. My second Sydney, mailed from David Morgan, came in the box, brim up.
Chinaski said:
Goose, I know that tune well myself! My Dad taught me to tune a uke that way. I'm not sure if I can play it better than you but I'm up for a Uke-Off!:)
Chinaski...you win by default. I can't play at all. Serious. Was going to take lessons, signed up and all that jazz. A week before lessons, I ended up with five broken bones in three fingers. Have never followed up. Just like having the ukes around to bug the neighbors ;) But, I can do the "Flea" riff!
djgo-cat-go said:
DCO..."trying"? You don't need to "try". You "are". Too cool for school :cool:

Don't think I've ever seen a bad pic of you. :eusa_clap
You sincerely look like a good guy that is happy and like to have fun. Always a pleasure to see your pics. I'd let you buy me a drink anytime ;)

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Goose. said:
DCO..."trying"? You don't need to "try". You "are". Too cool for school :cool:

Don't think I've ever seen a bad pic of you. :eusa_clap
You sincerely look like a good guy that is happy and like to have fun. Always a pleasure to see your pics. I'd let you buy me a drink anytime ;)

Thank you very much Goose.. Just tell me where you're at, and I will bring a sixpack of goodwill & joy! :)

pplepic

Familiar Face
Roosevelt et al.

Brim down looks a bit more dignified (and if you're a private eye) downright de rigueur.
Looking back, the lighthearted guys like Jack Oakie, and his generation always wore their hats brim up, while serious detectives like Philip Marlowe always wore them brim down.
I think with politicians it's a simple choice of looking more distant and dignified as opposed to looking more down-to-earth and open. In the days when politicians all wore hats, the choice was obvious, as nowadays many politicians appear in public sans neckwear, something Truman and his generation would never have done.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Next Generation

My 2 year old daughter is very much a "brim-up" kinda girl!
I found her a little black Akubra Stylemaster for $2 at an op shop and she wears it well.

cailliehat2.jpg

;)

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
djgo-cat-go said:
IMG_1733.jpg

At the risk of trying to sound like someone much younger...that just looks COOL! If that term is not used anymore, think up one that is current and apply it; (I am sure I'm probably out of touch).

pplepic

Familiar Face
Brims up

Then again, maybe those old politicians had the brim up because they rode around a lot in those open vehicles with the wind in their smiling faces. I wore mine brim up today and I think I looked cheery even if I didn't feel that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred