Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I think these can look good with the brim up if the brim is not more than 2 3/4 or so. This is evidenced by the various pics above. The presidents, Harvey Keitel and our own Paladin are in this case. In my opinion the brim up does not work for RLK's hat, nor would it in Jimmy's.

Also, it is my feeling that the brim up style complements better a cattleman's crease, as would a centerdent, because this is a more simetrical crease and harmonizes better with the all around up brim. An effect similar to that seen in a homburg.

All of the above is my opinion, and personal tastes obviously play a part.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I would say that face shape and forehead height have a bit to do with it as well. It is very hard for me to get away with an up-turned brim on any style hat.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
I would say that face shape and forehead height have a bit to do with it as well. It is very hard for me to get away with an up-turned brim on any style hat.

Very true.

Also, the "snapness" of the brim is another factor to consider, because the curve will be more or less pleasing because of it.

cco23i

A-List Customer
In my opinion it's attitude. Up to me puts out a more light hearted fun times attitude, where as the turned down brim seems more serious. Just a thought![huh]

Scott

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
cco23i said:
In my opinion it's attitude. Up to me puts out a more light hearted fun times attitude, where as the turned down brim seems more serious. Just a thought![huh]

Scott

:eusa_clap
and a good thought at that.

In my mind you take it case by case. I have a thin ribbonned 3in brimmed hat that just won't look right unless it's up all the way around...but down slightly on the left and uneven. The front pinch is uneven too, but it just doesn't look right any other way. I have a vintage borso and a modern junker with the same proportions..one MUST have a center crease and snapped...the other with a C-crown and up all the way around. strange.:eusa_doh:

perterra

New in Town
Some look better up.
IMG_2982.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Yep, what that N-B13 gent said.

For others I guess it is a matter of choice. I like stingy brims. I like the turned up stingy brims.

As much as I'd like to, I can't pull off a stingy brim. Turned up, on me, is even worse. I still wear a stingy now and then, so it's a choice for me too, but I just can't do the upturned :(

Same hat, Akubra Hampton...

555740459_6igYL-S.jpg
492022682_YKTVk-S-2.jpg

Marcus

A-List Customer
I just got my Akubra stylemaster a couple days ago and it came with brim up. As mentioned above, attitude plays a big part I think. I feel a bit more jaunty, for lack of better terms, with it up and more stylish with it down.

Justdog

Practically Family
Sometimes yes sometimes no

Sometimes the brim looks good up sometimes down depending on mood. I have several of the style and there are subtle differences in the brim tapers and ovals that make either look good up or down. Some are blocked that way and that is the only way to wear them. If your lucky you have them with snap brims or a nice soft pliable felt that allows both. I am always amazed at the slight differences in the ORs

Mulceber

Practically Family
I have a feeling the way they're wearing their hats has to do with their professions. They're politicians, "public men" as the Romans would call them. Having their brims up makes it easier for everyone to see their faces, and thus, easier for them to use their facial expressions to boost the impact of their words. -M

Chinaski

One Too Many
Mulceber said:
I have a feeling the way they're wearing their hats has to do with their professions. They're politicians, "public men" as the Romans would call them. Having their brims up makes it easier for everyone to see their faces, and thus, easier for them to use their facial expressions to boost the impact of their words. -M

Mulceber, I think you're onto something with this. A down-swooped brim would not lend itself to the image of an open, honest politician, but I'm sure there were plenty of others with less high profiles who wore their OR brims down.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm not generally a fan of the brim up look, but I do think it succeeds with the jazz musician at times. Bolthead has some of that vibe about him and that's why I think he can pull it off so well when he does it. ViperMan and EvenSteven are a couple of others who make it work, in my opinion.

Goose.

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I'm not generally a fan of the brim up look, but I do think it succeeds with the jazz musician at times....

Hey! What about us uku'lele strummers? Maybe I'll give it a shot on a non-stingy and see if it improves my playing. All this time I thought it was the wood...so I'd have to get a new one in hopes that it would sound better. Still haven't found one that plays right though ;) Now I know it must be the hat!!!

But I do a kick butt rendition of "My Dog Has Fleas" lol

529221069_dmtay-S.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
I knew when I started namin' names I'd get some, "Hey, what am I, chopped liver!?" posts. :D
Well, "pureed SPAM" works for me

600224469_AFMo7-S.jpg

Michaelshane...that looks great :eusa_clap

Seriously, Gene, didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Respect,
Goose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy