Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brims - How do you like them

rip

New in Town
I used to like the '20s look of the brim down all around; Indiana Jones certainly ruined that for me! I've never liked the brim up all the way around except with a homburg or a derby. A little too much Popeye Doyle, certainly not a maven of style. So I have to go with the traditional snap brim look of up in back, down in front.

riccardo

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
I wear my fedoras with the front down and back up. Is that called a 'snap brim'? Whatever it's called, that's the way all of my fedoras are worn and is the style of my two favorite fedoras, The Indy and the Bogart (pictured in my avatar)..KC :fedora:
Hi KC, I love very much tha hat in your avatar.
Could you post some pics?

Many thanks.
Riccardo.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Am I getting this wrong or is the brim up all around the more formal way of wearing a fedora? The Homburg, Tophat and Bowler are all hats with the brim up all around. That is what gives them that more formal air about them IMHO. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

I don't know if it's the brim that does it. I think it's the lack of a pinch (usually) on those styles of hats that give them their formal air.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, the hipsters are certainly wearing their fedoras with the brim up; some entertainment personalities, who, depending on the hat or the mood, wear them up or down.

I personally like them snap down in front on both men and women, up or down in back depending on the hat, the person, the mood, etc.

I guess my dislike of brim-up styles comes from my childhood, when all the cool guys (cops, gangsters, hip guys, even my father) wore the brim down in front. The old geezers, the funny guys (Ed Norton, Leo Gorcey, Red Skelton) and the hillbilly types wore it up. I thought of Harry Truman, not as a dapper, well-dressed president, but as an old geezer. So it goes with young people....

I suppose if men wear hats with the brim up for awhile, I will get used to it, but, as a woman, I will wear it snap down in front, and maybe in back.

karol

riccardo

Practically Family
Kaleponi Craig said:
Hi Riccardo, that picture is of the great Humphrey Bogart from "The Maltese Falcon". Back up, front down, the only way a fedora should be worn, IMHO...KC
...wow...wake up,Riccardo... wake up...!

Best Regards.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Bring Crosby was almost always brim up all the time. Just watching any ond movie it's a mix. I never think of those comedians mentioned, that just theatre, I think more of roots blue musicians from the 30's and 40's, and jazz musicians from the 50's. Brim up is not some "wacky" variation.

riccardo

Practically Family
My rules:

Hi to all,

1) Front down,back up = dress fedora hat;the classic!! (my favourite)
2)Up all around = casual choice hat; ska music...; (I'll never wear these hats)
3)Down all around = Country,safari, casual wear; (sometimes i wear it)
4) Side up = Western hats; (sometimes I wear it)
5) Homburg hat = up all around. Great classic hats.

Any matters?

Best regards.
Riccardo.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Which reminds me, I used to see, at least in films, members of the press wearing their fedoras up in front and securing it in place with a press pass.

Guess I was not exposed to the hip jazz players of the 50's, might have made a difference in my attitude, because I have always thought of jazz as "cool." The Crosby I remember when I was a wee kid was his Father O'Malley character. Didn't he wear a straw boater in Going My Way?

karol

Shademaker

New in Town
and don't forget Fred Ward playing Henry Miller in Henry and June. He wore his fedora with one side up and one down in a very cool looking carefree fashion. He rode a bicycle like that to see Annis Nin. He looked super in his whole getup.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
OK people, here are three photos I found in about two minutes online. There are photos on him brim down sometimes too, but my point is that I think back then it was an option and people would do both not just one or the other. I think some loungers have this mental picture that may not be completely accurate.

bobbing.jpg

binggirl.jpg

Bing_Crosby_Oscar.gif

And also I've never seen a ska band, do they really all wear brim-up fedoras?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80