Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Army and USAAF - Allies circa 1943 - 45?

casper

New in Town
Thought some of you may like to see this. I don't know the exact date it was taken but I suspect it would have been 1943 to 945.

My father's cousin was a USAAF pilot in the US 8th Air Force (I think he was in bombers flying into Europe from Britain) and my father was in the British Army attached to the 51st Highland Division - 8th Army and here is a photo of them both together in the UK....

IMG_00031.jpg

My Dad was in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and Normandy, France.

Casper

Last edited:

MPicciotto

Practically Family
That's a pretty cool picture thanks for sharing. I've seen a number of "allies" photos before, but always candid snapshots. I haven't seen a studio portrait.

Matt

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day Casper,

Thanks for posting this photo. It is quite an evocative picture, and I'm sure there's a fascinating story behind it. I'm fascinated by human history and this picture speaks volumes. Two young men, doing their best and putting themseves in harm's way for the common good. They could be any young university students, office workers or manual labourers, if one took away the uniforms.

Do you mind if I ask a few questions? I'm guessing your father survived the war, as you don't look like a man in your sixties. What did he do after his wartime service? How about your father's cousin? I'm intrigued that one ended up in the US, one stayed in the UK and they met up in wartime.

Anyway, thank you for sharing such a personal picture. Anything you may wish to add would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

casper

New in Town
G'day Casper,

Thanks for posting this photo. It is quite an evocative picture, and I'm sure there's a fascinating story behind it. I'm fascinated by human history and this picture speaks volumes. Two young men, doing their best and putting themseves in harm's way for the common good. They could be any young university students, office workers or manual labourers, if one took away the uniforms.

Do you mind if I ask a few questions? I'm guessing your father survived the war, as you don't look like a man in your sixties. What did he do after his wartime service? How about your father's cousin? I'm intrigued that one ended up in the US, one stayed in the UK and they met up in wartime.

Anyway, thank you for sharing such a personal picture. Anything you may wish to add would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt ,

of course. I was born in the late 1950s. My Dad was in the 51st Highland Division (British 8th Army ''The Desert Rats'') and was atttached there as a morse code operator forwarding on artillery observations/spotters information. His cousin was over in the UK and I assume he was in the USAAF 8th air force, which took a toll of Germany and yet also payed a heavy price in bomber crew; he survived the war but i don't know too much about his subsequent life.

My Dad served in North Africa (and was at El Alamein the turning point battle of the campaign) Italy and here is a picture of him in Sicily which must be in 1943. He got it taken in an Italian photographers who would have taken the photographs of Axis troops only a month or two previously. He went on to serve in Italy and Normandy in 1944.

Here he is in Sicily.... (1943 I guess as the Germans had just been kicked off the island)
IMG_00013.jpg

After the war he had an interesting journey which would take a long time to tell. He came to work in Liverpool, where I was born in 1957! His journey was one of questioning his background as a child, and then pursuing his dream. He was a charismatic and interesting character in many respects. He died in 2001 and is buried in Southport, he was married for over 50 years and had a long and eventful life!

Casper

PS notice the hob nailed boots and desert uniform of khaki shorts and shirt etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy