Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British MP ties one on.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, dear. Tomasso, let's not encourage this. It's one thing to loosen your tie after a long day of wearing one, on your way home, or upon entering a bar for a short snort. But guys who put on the tie loosened in the first place . . . gak! It's the same as that awful trend that the teenagers have invented of wearing a dress shirt and tie with the shirt tails hanging out. I understand this is a rebellion against schools that require uniforms, but please Lord, don't let it become a full scale fashion trend. Just don't wear a tie if you don't want to wear it properly.
And of course, this is where we insert the comment that the reason ties can be uncomfortable is because so many men don't wear shirts with collars that fit. Guys! If you buy a dress shirt, make sure the collar fits!

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Here's my personal take on the tie, whether you love it or hate it. Since the forerunner of the modern necktie originated in the country of Croatia during the 15th or 16th century, gradually being spread into common, fashionable use due to a French king taking up to wearing the neck wear of the Croat mercenaries (here's some trivia: the word to describe early neckties, cravate, comes from Hrvat, a.k.a. Croat, and is a French word to describe these people), I wear a tie with pride. I believe that it represents a part of my heritage (through my mother's family), and that it is a tradition to be carried on well into the 21st century and beyond. Now, I liked wearing ties to begin with (itself having to do with my enjoyment of wearing smart clothing), but after reading up on their origins, I have developed an even greater appreciation and fondness for them. I understand why some of you detest the tie, uncomfortable or aesthetically displeasing and such, but I've got my reasons for liking them, and I feel an obligation to keep the tradition of this sartorial piece alive.

Well Good,what a fantastic bit of trivia,I had no idea. I must add as well,your use of the language is coming on leaps and bounds,you're really becoming quite erudite,very amusing. Cheers,Bumph.

Pompidou

One Too Many
You do ramble on, don't you.

Here's a clue for neophytes who think that a tie can't be worn without constriction.

3172304.jpg

Just answering your question. Seemed like a question you really wanted an answer to, with all the extra punctuation.

Does no-one really get it that this, for want of a better word, was a stunt to get attention for his charity? Do you think he actually pressd the button on the tie by mistake?

He gets up and says something about bowel cancer charity: the press corps falls asleep. He accompanies it with a ridiculous tie playing an equally abominable tune? Story in Torygraph; more press for charity. Come on guys: read between the lines a little …

bk
bk

Edward

Bartender
Does no-one really get it that this, for want of a better word, was a stunt to get attention for his charity? Do you think he actually pressd the button on the tie by mistake?

He gets up and says something about bowel cancer charity: the press corps falls asleep. He accompanies it with a ridiculous tie playing an equally abominable tune? Story in Torygraph; more press for charity. Come on guys: read between the lines a little …

bk
bk

Durrr..... Good point, missed that!

You have a devious mind, BK - you would have made a fine lawyer.... or PR. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I believe it mentions that fact that it's a charity stunt in the story. And I think that some of the outrage stems from that fact, that an MP would demean the dignity of the House with such a low trick. Meh. Not a capital crime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff