Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Britishisms sneaking into American vernacular

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"Cheers" generally means 'thanks', but it can also mean "Goodbye".

"Here Johnny I brought along another sandwich 'cause I know you can't leave the office today..."
"Oh cheers Adam!"

Here in Australia we do use a lot of Britishisms for obvious reasons. And I have heard 'Cheers/cheerio' used on occasion, by young and old alike. Although folks of my generation and younger tend to use 'cheers' more.

Speaking of Australia, after all the Crocodile Dundee in the late 80s, it became fashionable for Air Traffic Controllers here in the States when handing you off, to say G'day over the radio!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My grandmother, born 1911, was a great fan of "toodle oo," but she's the only American I've ever heard use it. It's a lot more pleasant than "smell ya later!"

Lizzie - As I remember reading one time, the phrase "Toodle Loo" was a corruption of a French phrase the English speaking Tommies and later the Dough Boys picked up on the Western Front during the Great War & brought home with them. Most working class soldiers & farm boys who had never been further than their County Town couldn't speak French so corrupted phrases into similar sounding English!

For those interested, "a tout a l'heure" means "See you later." Toodle Loo Y'all..! :)

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
For those interested, "a tout a l'heure" means "See you later." Toodle Loo Y'all..! :)

Now that does have an air of authenticity about it. The french phrase "ça ne fait rien," loosely translated as, "be that as it may, or, it doesn't matter," was another expression pick up by the english soldiers. It quickly became known as san fairy ann, which went on to SWA and then morphed into sweet f*** all.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now that does have an air of authenticity about it. The french phrase "ça ne fait rien," loosely translated as, "be that as it may, or, it doesn't matter," was another expression pick up by the english soldiers. It quickly became known as san fairy ann, which went on to SWA and then morphed into sweet f*** all.

Language is a fluid thing that morphs and changes and evolves continually depending on all the external factors and influences around it at any given time. Its so interesting isn't it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo