Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bronson N-1 Deck Jacket sheds tons of fibres from pile liner!

Dansoldschool

One of the Regulars
I know this doesn’t help you. And I’m sorry to hear what happened. I might have just sold it and got a proper one. You should not expect a high standard like from FW, RMC or even IH when buying from cheap Chinese brand. China has good manufacturer as well, but majority is not and mostly it’s not clear how it’s made. I know not everyone can and wants to pay 500-1000€/$ but those jackets you can easily pass to your sons.

I own an IH which was very thick in beginning. After 3 years it’s more flat and not that warm anymore as in beginning. I bought this season a FW one and this is warmer than IH was in beginning. Probably due to triple lining.

But the wool quality from FW is a much better one than from IH and I already lived IH alpaca wool mix. But both are 100% wool. That’s something.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Any update on this? I am curious as to what came out of this issue. Thanks.

No reaction from Bronson. And the seller (vtgdr_store) wasn't of any help either.

But meanwhile I saw reviews on amazon and also found others here in the lounge who have experienced exactly the same with Bronson Deck Jackets with wool blend liner: pile liner shedding after wash. So it is not an "only me" thing.

So my recommendation is: either don't buy or buy knowing that you must not wash this jacket. If you want to have an N-1 that can be washed either go to Pike Brothers (I have washed mine several times without any issue) or buy one where the tag says that washing is OK.

I decided to purchase a good liner fabric and bring this jacket to a seamstress for a new lining. Will post results!

Cheers
Cats

CatsCan

Practically Family
I might have just sold it and got a proper one. You should not expect a high standard like from FW, RMC or even IH when buying from cheap Chinese brand. China has good manufacturer as well, but majority is not and mostly it’s not clear how it’s made.

That is true. BUT: We are talking about a serious competitor here from China, Bronson MFG, and NOT about a cheap manufacturer. They sell their N-1 for $ 180 without reseller. This is VERY expensive for chinese standard and comparing to $ 500 from countries like Japan.

I have had lots of and still have some N-1s (Buzz, Pike..among others) over the years. And my cheapest is an extremely cheap ($ 80- 90) chinese no name one with polyester liner (called "Mil-Tec N-1 Deck Jacket", probably same leage as At The Front..). I wore it to heavy construction work, I washed it dozends of times - never had an issue, still going strong).

Bronson gives the impression of a "high quality brand" who knows what they do. They sell alot because of a good reputation and they become increasingly expensive as their popularity grows. They should not sell jackets like this anymore if they want to stay on the market for longer.

Dansoldschool

One of the Regulars
That is true. BUT: We are talking about a serious competitor here from China, Bronson MFG, and NOT about a cheap manufacturer. They sell their N-1 for $ 180 without reseller. This is VERY expensive for chinese standard and comparing to $ 500 from countries like Japan.

I have had lots of and still have some N-1s (Buzz, Pike..among others) over the years. And my cheapest is an extremely cheap ($ 80- 90) chinese no name one with polyester liner (called "Mil-Tec N-1 Deck Jacket", probably same leage as At The Front..). I wore it to heavy construction work, I washed it dozends of times - never had an issue, still going strong).

Bronson gives the impression of a "high quality brand" who knows what they do. They sell alot because of a good reputation and they become increasingly expensive as their popularity grows. They should not sell jackets like this anymore if they want to stay on the market for longer.
I have a shirt and some tee and henley from them. Shirt is ok, Rest not.
Was too often in China some years ago. I’m out and avoid most what I can. But that’s off topic.
Hope you can find a solution or get a refund…

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Over times i used to own several BRONSON N1 s in different version (hook/buttoned/short/long/khaki/blue) and also had one with a similar problem ...

5Hkgcio.jpg

04YaFos.jpg

fn8aR50.jpg

igTk9Ua.jpg

rQ7BDkh.jpg

FckQElx.jpg

since i wash the jackets within the first couple of weeks after receiving i realised pretty quick that something was wrong ...

the jacket was ordered directly in China (a workmate brought it along) there wasn't any chance to get a replacement so i sold it ...

the problem didn't occure recently but more than 3 years ago - didn't order any more N1 since then but not for the reason of the shedding of 1 out of 7 or 8 jackets

CatsCan

Practically Family
didn't order any more N1 since then but not for the reason of the shedding of 1 out of 7 or 8 jackets
I decided to keep it. Have worn it since I rigorously combed it through until shedding seemed to have minimalized to a degree that I don't find much lint on my dark blue longsleeve anymore after use.. If it gets worse, I will replace the liner with a better one.
Thomas, You have a winner collection of Deck Jackets! I am jealous :) I "only" have three at the moment.

kowalski

Practically Family
Postanowiłem to zachować. Noszę go, odkąd dokładnie go przeczesałam, aż wydawało się, że wypadanie zmniejszyło się do tego stopnia, że po użyciu nie znajduję już dużo kłaczków na moim ciemnoniebieskim longsleeve. Jeśli sytuacja się pogorszy, wymienię wkładkę na lepszą .
Thomas, masz zwycięską kolekcję kurtek pokładowych! Zazdroszczę, :) że w tej chwili mam „tylko” trzy.
maybe it was excess hair you're right about your favorite jacket is for better or for worse

CatsCan

Practically Family
maybe it was excess hair
...a bucket full :)...
I can still pull whole strands out, they are no longer holding fast to the grid they had been "attached" to. They seem to not come undone just by wearing so far. I am sure the wool was bonded to the grid matrix, not tied like in better qualities of woven liners. And this is really disappointing. Good that I have more than one N-1 Deck Jacket..

kowalski

Practically Family
...a bucket full :)...
I can still pull whole strands out, they are no longer holding fast to the grid they had been "attached" to. They seem to not come undone just by wearing so far. I am sure the wool was bonded to the grid matrix, not tied like in better qualities of woven liners. And this is really disappointing. Good that I have more than one N-1 Deck Jacket..
. dry clean only or not at all. The hot water dissolved the glue

CatsCan

Practically Family
Yes, if ones wants to be safe, than one should exactly follow the guide on the label and if it says Dry Clean Only than it means just that. But to glue the wool to the grid with a water dilutable glue (I guess starch or protein based) rather than tie weave or lock weave is a sign of the least possible quality. Maybe they just used this liner in my specimen of this batch and changed for a better in others. And mine slipped through the QC.
I usually wash all my Deck Jackets before the first use, regardless of what they had cost and what the tag says ;). But I never wash hot of course. But this time I was simply unlucky with a specimen of a batch that came with a less than functioning liner.

I know people who have collected dozends of N-1s and washed them all. They have a dud like mine from time to time and those are definitely defect ones, but sending back to China is too expensive and the chinese traders know that well.

If you let yourself guideline by the most sensible fabric used in a jacket, wool liner that is in this case, you can usually safely machine wash it with the appropriate setting, with a bit of caution of course, as not spinning, only cold, the right programme and so on. N-1s - if properly made - can most times be washed at cold setting, no spinning, delicate wool or "hand Wash" setting. I have done this with no problems. But unless you know how the fabric is made and the jacket put together, it is safer to not wash them, of course. It is a risky gamble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko