Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown Stetson Whippet from 1950 - Great Condition - 7 1/2 Long Oval

Ande1964

Practically Family
I am hesitantly parting with this one. In short, I don't wear it often, and am always worried about it getting swiped when I do. It's become too valuable for me to casually enjoy. I would rather put this money elsewhere.

So, here it is: one of the granddaddies of all vintage hat grails: a Stetson Whippet in the very versatile light brown color. It is in great condition. Only one minor issue, which I will describe later. This hat is in the super hard to find 7 1/2 Long Oval size. I have a large 7 1/2 Long Oval head, and this hat fits me perfectly.

This Whippet was manufactured in December of 1950, as dated on the inside of the sweat band. It was sold at the famous Stetson store in Philadelphia, to someone with the initials HMH, Jr..

The hat is in great shape. No moth bites. The felt is perfect and supple without being floppy. The liner has some very minor discolorations along the sides, but they are hard to see. The Sweat band looks all but new. Supple and soft. The hat is a delight to wear.

The one issue is a small white spot on the ribbon. It is near the front of the hat, high on the ribbon. Not really noticeable by someone standing nearby, but it is there upon inspection. I don't know what it is. I have not had the hat professionally cleaned. (I am not claiming this white spot is removable. Just stating that I haven't tried.) I think you can see the spot in the pictures below.

The hat is $500, shipped in the US. The price is firm. If it doesn't sell here, I'll store it for the summer and consider trying again in the fall.

Best,
Anj

quarter.jpg

top.jpg

side.jpg

ribbon%20spot%202.jpg

ribbon%20spot.jpg

liner.jpg

sweat.jpg

sweat2.jpg

tags.jpg

year%20made.jpg

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Gorgeous hat! I hope you sell it. I'm a long oval, measuring 23 3/8, but that's right in between 7 3/8 and 7 1/2.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Please forgive the slow response. We were out of town for a spell.

Brim width is 2 1/2.

Price is now reduced to $460, shipped in the US. Act soon, or this one will be tucked away for awhile.

Best,
Anj

Ande1964

Practically Family
One final bump and price reduction. Now $440, shipped in the US. I will ship overseas, but buyers will have to pay for International Priority mail.

Anj

Ande1964

Practically Family
Thanks, Cookie. I now I said here that I would probably hold onto this one, but I ended up deciding it was time for it to go. I thought I offered it at a fair price here first.

I don't have pangs about letting it go... yet.

Anj

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
You obviously did price it accurately here initially, since it sold (including shipping) at very close to that amount. Your subsequent price drops that weren't taken advantage of may have a few who thought to get it for less through an auction kicking themselves! (Not me, as it's too big for me, but I'm sure there are a few.)

Congratulations on the sale, and good luck holding off the post-sale regrets!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav