Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brylcreem

Derek WC

Banned
Anyone Tried Murray's Super Light?

I've tried it. If you've got about 10 minutes in the morn, it's great, but if you're in a hurry like me, I'd go with Brylcreem or Groom and Clean.

I forgot to say that it is almost the consistency of Vaseline, except more dense.

Last edited:

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Just found this thread. I've been using Brylcreem on and off for years. The funny part is, I think I may be using the same tube. I have found that the trick for me is to follow these steps:

1. Wash hair
  2. Do NOT dry hair
  3. Squeeze tube while sliding comb over tube top (one pass). This creates an even amount on the teeth of the comb (really not that much).
  4. Comb wet hair.

Using this method, I find that my hair stays managable all day long. I can recomb as necessary. It doesn't stay stiff, but it does restore all of the natural oils that the shampoo washed out. It does keep my hair shining all day too. Also, it doesn't feel greesy.

I had tried other products (my barber even had me try Clubman), but I didn't like how my hair got hard.

Hope this might help some folks.

Mike

For me, that would be a sure-fire recipe for an itchy scalp.

I haven't had much luck with Brylcreem. As a stand-alone styling product, in my hair, it just doesn't deliver on its advertised styling/manageability claims. It definitely gives softness and shine, but for some unknown reason it also causes the ends of my hair to curl up a bit, causing all sorts of frizz that just isn't conducive with the clean, side-parted look I've been trying for.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Well after a lot of experimenting I found that Brylcreem finally works for me if I use it as a final coat (to add shine) after applying a thicker pomade for hold. I am wanting to try some brillantines next, I like alot of shine and slickness when I part my hair. I have heard Yardleys English Lavender Brillantine is great for this. Anybody ever try it?? or know of other solid brillantines to try???

Alex

Practically Family
Well after a lot of experimenting I found that Brylcreem finally works for me if I use it as a final coat (to add shine) after applying a thicker pomade for hold. I am wanting to try some brillantines next, I like alot of shine and slickness when I part my hair. I have heard Yardleys English Lavender Brillantine is great for this. Anybody ever try it?? or know of other solid brillantines to try???
I've heard Yardleys is pretty good. Of course there's the old standby, Tres Flores. Not really sure of any other ones though. Have you tried or thought about trying hair tonics?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I still use Brylcreem, but lately I haven't been using as much product in my hair, as I'm kind of sporting a drier, James Dean or early Clint Eastwood sort of look, when combing my hair back into a quiff. I do find Brylcreem great for shine, and is good as a "final coat" for the top after applying other products beforehand.

To my surprise, I actually found out that my local Albertson's is actually stocking a couple of Brylcreem tubes! They're just sitting on the shelf, it looks like there were only two, but the next time I need to get more Brylcreem, I'll try to search there again.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
I've heard Yardleys is pretty good. Of course there's the old standby, Tres Flores. Not really sure of any other ones though. Have you tried or thought about trying hair tonics?

Oh yeah, I use Vitalis by it self sometimes if i dont need much hold. I also have used Jeris with oil also

ryanc

Familiar Face
hey hey, the problem with petroleum based pomades like murreys is that it is true its not good for your hair. well more the folicles it can clog it up and for most men, they dont need that cause of the threat of hair loss. so im a hairdresser that specializes in pre 60s cuts, and styling. the products i sell to my men are from hawlywoods barbershop in l.a. he makes to me the best water based pomade available its called layrite, i sell alot of it. it literally will let you do what ever you want. murreys is hard to learn how to use. layrite is easy. they make a regular hold and superhold. personally i think the superhold works best especially for side parts with a swoop or a wave in the front. it does take practice to even use the layrite. but its better and even washes out with just water. go on www.layrite.com and you will find it there

Alex

Practically Family
Nice plug for Layrite:p I've never used it, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'd like it to have more shine though.

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
A Little Dab Does do you!

So I tried Brylcreem for the first time. I usually have short to medium length very thick hair that is coarse. I've tried gels and such and haven't gotten the well groomed look I"ve wanted.

After a few days of using Brylcreem I've gotten a few daily comments on my hair. People ask what I've done differently. They say it looks nicely defined and has a nice sheen.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I have an entire tube of the stuff,... barely used and still in the original box, if anyone is interested. :D
I tried to make it work, honestly. But it just doesn't work in my hair. Seems from reading this thread that it works best for those with very thick and coarse hair.
Maybe if I mixed it with something else? [huh]
I'm always experimenting, but I lean toward Groom and Clean with a bit of Dapper Man Pomade mixed in.
My hair is medium textured I'd say, with a fair amount of wave if it gets too long, so I'm always trying to smooth out those waves in the longer hair on top.

suits lover

A-List Customer
For me too it doesn't work at all. Even is if use a lot and if I did this, my hair simply look extremly greasy. I use Sweet Georgia Brow red pomade with Lucky Tiger hair tonic and iy work perfectly.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just tried this stuff and it is working awesome for me. It's not greasy at all and allows me to part my hair with precision. I am actually impressed with how well it works.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I started using Brylcreem last October. First, I tried Pomade, and Gel. The Gel was horrible, it dried, turned to crust, and if you tried to recomb your hair, it flaked all over. The Pomade was the opposite, it was extremely greasy, and I was afraid to lay down with it on.

But then I found Brylcreem. I tried it, and I have to say it's much superior to the others. It does not crust and flake, it's not greasy, you can recomb it with ease, and it does not get onto hats/pillows. It also has a nice powdery smell, sort of like powdered sugar. It holds well too, at least for me. I have thick, wavy hair, and it prevents it from going crazy, and it makes my hair nice and shiny. However, it still doesn't prevent it from being completely crazy, as it looks bumpy from the side.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Brylcreem can be very shiny if used beyond their little dab suggestion, but in my experience, it's not as greasy as pomades like Royal Crown Pomade, or even a large amount of Dax Wave and Groom. For fixing up my hair on a general basis, I mostly use Groom and Clean, often in combination with small amount of Consort hairspray. If I want more shine than Groom and Clean offers, I rub in a little bit of Brylcreem on the top. I've found myself using heavier pomades less than I used to, and hair creams that make hair feel soft are more my ideal, now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk