Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brylcreem

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
By preference, I am a Brylcreem man, for two reasons

1) Gel is ghastly awfulness of which I shall not speak again, other than to mention it gives me what my late Father used to refer to as a 'back foot itch' (in the sense of what Wolfhounds do with a semi-ecstatic look upon their face, utilising claws that can anchor their 16 plus stone frame in mud such that they can accelerate to over 30 mph peak in less than 5 seconds)

2) Brilliantine is not easily available in the armpit of God in which I live, other than via mail order, whereas Brylcreem is available in a conveniently sized tub in 'Raddie's Emporium of Delights and Sweet shop' (imagine a more welcoming version of the 'Local Shop' in the League of Gentlemen and you have the idea...)

Has anyone tried Pomade? It looks awfully heavy stuff...

Since I can't (yet) post a poll, I'm afraid the findings will be hand counted...

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
I was considering the Trumper ones, simply because I like the Astor Cologne...

UK Brylcreem has a vaugely menthol/eucalyptus smell, that doens't last (I think it's only there as a 'scalp tonic')

The US version seems to have a a love-it-or-hate-it-and-no-middle-ground among my US contacts, at least the female ones... most of my male friends in the US seem to be bald... My old mate Wrath James White being a prima facie example...

How would you described the smell of US Bryl?

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
The UK Brylcreem is now made in Indonesia, and not Birmingham UK anymore, and marketed by the Sara Lee Corporation would you believe. The original Brylcreem in the red container, with that distinctive smell is still available here in Leeds and I guess anywhere in the UK, and can be bought for as little as one pound. There is a similar coloured red container which does'nt have the same smell, and contains "limonene" which gives it a lemony smell. It also states "Original Hairdressing" on the container and may be what is available in the US and also in UK. So if you want the "real original smell", try and find the one that does not contain Limonene!

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Food for thought...

As a recent convert, I've not mastered the finer points of hat wearing without looking like something the cat dragged in (after an ugly, and probably noisy, fight...)

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
When I had my pompadour I used pomade religiously. I was never without Murrays or even Sumo Wax when it was to be had. Of course now I've moved on from the pomp and am looking for a more classic 30's or 40's style. Which products should I be keeping in mind witht he change?

Valhson

One of the Regulars
pomade... I have not tried brylcreem. I currently have more of an American WWII officers cut #1 on the sides and 2.3 inches on top. The Pomade had been the first thing that actually keeps my blonde hair... well blonde. Trick is dry application. Gel and some of the modern wax (amercian crew fiber et al) make it look brownish

Edward

Bartender
I was never into product of any sort on my hair, and I only really got into the retro look after my hair was long a thing of the past, so I can't speak from any personal experience. However, a friend of mine who is very into the 50s quiff look swears by the petroleum-based stuff that you can buy at the likes of the Ace Cafe www.ace-cafe-london.com. It does seem to darken the hair a bit if you're a blondie, but it certainly holds it in place well.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
One of the good things about being swarthy is that Brylcreem covers the white...

My esteemed elder brother, commonly referred to as Mycroft, looked like a badger by 35, and by my age was nearly fully white. I have a small amount white that, when exposed to Brylcreem, goes translucent and thus invisible amongst what is now quite long hair... The AV photo dates back to when I was still servicing the troubleshooting needs of a soulless multinational (clue: "That's no moon... It's a SPACE STATION!"), and so the MiB crop was what was needed. With a tan and Ray Bans I could get stopped entering the country while they check to see if I was who I claimed to be and hadn't arrived back to find who'd killed my brother...

These days I'm a lot less brutal and sport a beard of the sort made popular by Roger Delgado...

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Harley Quinn said:
One of the good things about being swarthy is that Brylcreem covers the white...

My esteemed elder brother, commonly referred to as Mycroft, looked like a badger by 35, and by my age was nearly fully white. I have a small amount white that, when exposed to Brylcreem, goes translucent and thus invisible amongst what is now quite long hair... The AV photo dates back to when I was still servicing the troubleshooting needs of a soulless multinational (clue: "That's no moon... It's a SPACE STATION!"), and so the MiB crop was what was needed. With a tan and Ray Bans I could get stopped entering the country while they check to see if I was who I claimed to be and hadn't arrived back to find who'd killed my brother...

These days I'm a lot less brutal and sport a beard of the sort made popular by Roger Delgado...
:eek:fftopic: Just have to tell you- I love reading your posts; you have quite a way with words. :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jingle...

"Brylcream - a little dab'll do ya
Brylcream - you'll look so debonair
Brylcream - the girls'll all pursue ya
They'll love to run their fingers through your hair"

I always found it amusing - for one, who would want to touch Brylcreamed hair? Unless you needed cuticle moisturizing...

And how many other jingles have so many darned "ll"s in them? Great songwriting.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Lulu - *sweeping bow* it has all been worth while... and unless my trivia glands are misfiring today, a fellow Louise Brooks aficionada... I confess a somewhat sordid attachment to her image in my youth... [Austin Powers] Yeah! BABY![/Austin Powers] a-hem...

Miss 1929 - I believe it was trying to trade on the popularity of the Flintstones in the 60s... I'd agree, those session singers earned their pittance that day!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Harley Quinn said:
Lulu - *sweeping bow* it has all been worth while... and unless my trivia glands are misfiring today, a fellow Louise Brooks aficionada... I confess a somewhat sordid attachment to her image in my youth... [Austin Powers] Yeah! BABY![/Austin Powers] a-hem...

Miss 1929 - I believe it was trying to trade on the popularity of the Flintstones in the 60s... I'd agree, those session singers earned their pittance that day!
I do worship all things LuLu. She's buried not too far from where I currently live so, once the weather permits, I shall be making a Pilgrimage...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harley, I too enjoy your posts. I recommend you check out this product:

http://www.mistrys.co.uk/yardley-london-english-lavender-hair-brilliantine-for-men-p-1931.html

The Yardley brilliantine is a great weight, not too heavy, not too light, and women will swoon over the scent when you walk by (well, they used to do it when I passed them in nightclubs, only for the entire effect to be spoiled when the 'ugly lights' came on at the close of the evening! lol )

The jar is traditionally-styled and looks great, too!

B R A N D X®

Familiar Face
An effective, modern alternative (gasp!) is Jack Black's Pomade. Okay it's not The Real Deal, but it holds well, washes out easily and has no real scent to speak of so it doesn't interfere with the wonderful smell of my Pinaud aftershave powder.....which my wife loves.:D

Jovan

Suspended
Miss 1929 said:
I always found it amusing - for one, who would want to touch Brylcreamed hair? Unless you needed cuticle moisturizing...
"A little dab'll do ya." I follow that, and my hair is touchable. [huh] I can't use too much of any product in my hair, period, because it's already thick enough and hard to style as it is. :eusa_doh:

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
I use Black and White, its light, nice hold, and a good smell. I haven't Used Brylcreem yet, whats it like, and good for?
Ive have also used red Sweet Georgia Brown, its great, but really greasy, sorta like Royal Crown i think, Great smell. Do not use when hot out! People say, what are those yellow streaks on your face? :eek:
Layrite is really nice, its strong, and is water soluble, hard to get though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner