Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brylcreem

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I've recently switched to Layrite Super Hold, which holds perfectly in the heat, muggy, and windy weathers (where original Layrite would let me down).
It's great stuff... been using it for about 3 weeks now with no problems at all.

Mary

Practically Family
I've been so inspired by the girl in guy's garb tread so I need to know much more about men's fashion.

Is there some homepage where I could see the different results of the hair pomades? Where they all used under the 20's and 30's or where some popular later on?

M

Sunny

One Too Many
*cough* For what it's worth, I just started using Brylcreem on my long, thick, wants-to-frizz look-at-the-HALO hair. I've used VO5 a little, but it's so thick I ended up only using it on the hair I rolled to keep the fuzz down. IIRC Brylcreem is water-based, so I can spread it through my hair much easier. Of course I have to use more than a little dab for the right effect, but it really is helping a lot.

Da Frizz before Brylcreem. The smooth, shiny part at the top is due either to VO5 or 3 days since shampooing. ;)

Mary

Practically Family
Your hair is lovely!!

I've seen another tread on men's hair in the 30's. I'll look it trough again and see if I can dig up some info.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Tres Flores

I have tried Brylcreem (not enough hold for me), Layrite (hair frizzes out if I comb or brush it later in the day), American Crew Pomade (works fairly well, but has a slightly strange odour), but lately I have become quite fond of Tres Flores Brillantine. The price of Tres Flores is fairly cheap, the hold is very nice for me and I even like the scent. What other Brillantines do you guys use?

Scott

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
skbellis said:
I have tried Brylcreem (not enough hold for me), Layrite (hair frizzes out if I comb or brush it later in the day), American Crew Pomade (works fairly well, but has a slightly strange odour), but lately I have become quite fond of Tres Flores Brillantine. The price of Tres Flores is fairly cheap, the hold is very nice for me and I even like the scent. What other Brillantines do you guys use?

Scott

Well I'm again entering a phase of trying new products, recently shed the rockabilly pompadour and trying to grow into a 40's, 50's business cut with a sharp side part. have not used alot of brillantines yet.. what about the Yardley's Brillantine Benny Holiday wrote about?? I think I have tried Tres Flores once though, has a very distinctive scent. I want something with medium hold-don't need all the wax that the pomp required, but mainly I want something that will keep my hair shiny and give it that slicked down wet look all day long, even after recombing- so is the Tres Flores good for this in your opinion Scott?? I did purchase some Groom and Clean (not a brillantine) from Walgreens the other day- it's marketed as a greaseless groom- it washes out easily, not real fond of the smell though, but it does give the hair a nice shine and light to medium hold- I wouldn't call it greasless though, I used about a quarter sized amount on my hair and it stayed slicked down wet looking all day.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Groom 'n' Clean, etc...

Brylcreem Boy,

I used Groom 'n' Clean for awhile and I was happy with its performance then the Walgreens by me stopped carrying it. The smell did bother me a bit though. I have seen the Yardley's Brillantine at the store too (try shopping where there is a larger Latino population), but I haven't tried it yet (the price is comprable to the tres flores, very inexpensive). The tres flores gives me a slight slick-down look and does well holding, plus it does hold up after re-combing. I don't use much. I don't find that it is as heavy as wax and it washes out fairly easy. Most likely you would get more shine if you added a little brylcreem with the tres flores.

Cheers,

---Scott

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Thanks Scott...

I'll probably pick up a jar of Tres the next time I'm in Walgreens. I've kinda tired of the Brylcreem smell but mixed with the Tres it probably would not be noticeable. I've also heard Wildroot- gives a really nice shine. I don't ever see it on the shelfs though.

Take Care, Mike

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Wildroot

Wildroot does give a really great shine, but not much in the way of any hold for me. Last time I bought Wildroot it was at Walgreens too. The main ingredient of Wildroot is mineral oil, and Tres Flores is nothing more than petrolatum (vaseline) and a scent.

---Scott

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Think of Wild Root as exactly what it is: a creme for the hair. It'll soften your hair and give it shine/texture, but that's about all... I've only ever seen guys with really thick and/or coarse hair make it work for height. If you want your hair to just lay right down and shine, then go for the Wild Root.
Never tried Tres Flores, but I've heard good things.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
skbellis said:
Wildroot does give a really great shine, but not much in the way of any hold for me. Last time I bought Wildroot it was at Walgreens too. The main ingredient of Wildroot is mineral oil, and Tres Flores is nothing more than petrolatum (vaseline) and a scent.

---Scott

I picked up some Tres Flores at Albertson's last night. It's heavier hold than the Groom and Clean. I tried it this morning and overdid it a little for work, it gave a very nice shine- gave me a real Clark Gable like slick-down and shine, it doesn't take much of this stuff, and I actually like the smell.

Weston

A-List Customer
I've read over the threads on hair tonics, but still fuzzy. Tried Murrays (too thick!), got Wild Root (good for holding my hair in place without looking like i've got product in my hair - good for the service), and Brylcreem. Does Brylcreem really give a wet look? I bought the king size tube at the drug store, and I've just been using a dab.

Will a dab truly do me? Or should I up the dosage?

Sean

Familiar Face
Ok dude my pomade is alberto vo5 hairgressing. holds great and always has that wet looks like u just got out of the shower!!!! i have relly thin hair and it works awsome!

DerMann

Practically Family
Finally manned it up and bought a tube of Brylcreem - absolutely love the stuff!

My hair is very thick and often gets greasy very quickly with dandruff and what not. As a result I absolutely must wash my hair daily. I do like to keep my hair parted, and never liked using gel. Just this past year I started using mousse (hope I spelled that correctly), and I got some very decent results (dried quickly for one).

One thing I disliked about mousse is that it was easily messed up, and even a day in a hat wouldn't keep my hair styled.

This is why Brylcreem is so great. It's not sticky like gel or mousse, which means it takes less time to apply in the morning. There's no dry time. My hair is perfectly pliable and willing, and it adds luster without looking too wet. Probably my favourite characteristic of it is that if my hair does get out of place, a quick run through with my comb restores it to its immaculate glory, which would be impossible with gel or mousse.

My hair is ridiculously long right now (bordering on mullet...), so a little dab'll only slightly get me going. It's easy to know when you've had too much, though. And oddly enough *runs fingers through hair* there really isn't that much grease or what have you left in my hair. Sure it feels like I haven't washed my hair for several weeks, but there isn't really any residue in my fingers.

Still very pleased with it.

Funny thing is that when I bought it, I was with my mom. When I grabbed it, she tried to get me to put it back, but I was determined.

So pleased, in fact, that I made it my current Facebook picture:

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
Finally manned it up and bought a tube of Brylcreem - absolutely love the stuff!

My hair is very thick and often gets greasy very quickly with dandruff and what not. As a result I absolutely must wash my hair daily. I do like to keep my hair parted, and never liked using gel. Just this past year I started using mousse (hope I spelled that correctly), and I got some very decent results (dried quickly for one).

One thing I disliked about mousse is that it was easily messed up, and even a day in a hat wouldn't keep my hair styled.

This is why Brylcreem is so great. It's not sticky like gel or mousse, which means it takes less time to apply in the morning. There's no dry time. My hair is perfectly pliable and willing, and it adds luster without looking too wet. Probably my favourite characteristic of it is that if my hair does get out of place, a quick run through with my comb restores it to its immaculate glory, which would be impossible with gel or mousse.

My hair is ridiculously long right now (bordering on mullet...), so a little dab'll only slightly get me going. It's easy to know when you've had too much, though. And oddly enough *runs fingers through hair* there really isn't that much grease or what have you left in my hair. Sure it feels like I haven't washed my hair for several weeks, but there isn't really any residue in my fingers.

Still very pleased with it.

Funny thing is that when I bought it, I was with my mom. When I grabbed it, she tried to get me to put it back, but I was determined.

So pleased, in fact, that I made it my current Facebook picture:

Looks good sir! You're making Brylcreem work wonders for you!

Sunny

One Too Many
DerMann said:
And oddly enough *runs fingers through hair* there really isn't that much grease or what have you left in my hair. Sure it feels like I haven't washed my hair for several weeks, but there isn't really any residue in my fingers.

That is why I like Brylcreem. My hair's a lot longer than yours, and I go 4-5 days between washes. I use several dabs right after washing to tame the frizzies, since I get a horrible halo effect with clean hair. The Brylcreem calms my hair down but has never made it feel greasy. It just feels smooth, and it gets shinier until it is time to wash. I'm glad it's worked for you!

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Hey Folks,

I've been using Pomade quite a while and quite a lot;-) Going for the rockabilly Pomp and sometimes a more 40s parted style. I like Black&White, Red and Blue DAX. I also tried Murrays Superior and Sweet Georgia Brown. SGB is not really my deal, just to fluid and I don't like the smell very much. Murray Superior is REALLY hard, so is Red DAX. I use those only in mixture with soft Pomade like Blue DAX. The BLue DAX is definetely my favorite Pomade of all time..although it is very soft, it gives me good hold, I love the smell and the shine (my girlfriend does so also:) )

But one question: You don't put Pomade in your hair when you wear a hat, do you? That's the only problem I have..if I use Pomade, I need about two days to wash it out properly and in that time I can't wear my hat because I don't want it to get greasy..
How do you guys handle that problem?

Lukas

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of those three, I've tried Brylcreem and Pomade.

Brylcreem is easily my choice over the two.

I only used Pomade when waxing my handlebar mustache, in the rare instance that I grew one out. It never worked properly in my hair and caused my scalp to itch and hurt.

Brylcreem for me, please!

berwynguy

New in Town
Getting the wetlook - use brylcreem

Weston said:
I've read over the threads on hair tonics, but still fuzzy. Tried Murrays (too thick!), got Wild Root (good for holding my hair in place without looking like i've got product in my hair - good for the service), and Brylcreem. Does Brylcreem really give a wet look? I bought the king size tube at the drug store, and I've just been using a dab.

Will a dab truly do me? Or should I up the dosage?

A "dab" is not a very clearcut amount is it? For me, I use about a US Quater coin size dollop, and sometimes more if I really want it wet looking. The 'little dab' is a nice slogan, but I've found you really need to use enough to get the wet look right. Experiment to find the right amount for you. Try this - use a US Quarter size initially, message it in, and comb. If it does not look wet enough, spread a line of brylcreen across the wide tooth section of a 'dressing comb', or if you don't have a 'dressing comb', your ACE Pocket comb or any comb with a wide tooth section will work too. Comb the brylcreem through until it disappears into your hair. Apply another line if it is still not wet enough for you. Keep doing this until you reach the desired effect. Using a slight damp comb can also help in getting the hair to go the way you want it. I easily go thru a tube in about 2 weeks, but I like it wet looking. You don't want to be stingy if your looking for the wetlook. If you just want light hold and not wet looking, then just use the little dab - about the size of a US dime.

Another thing you might try is to use a combination of 2 products. I happen to like to apply about a dime size amount of Groom&Clean after I've applied brylcreem. Another option is to apply some 40wt pomade after the brylcreem.

Brylcreem is by far the best product in my opinion for getting the classic slick wetlook. The guys on the TV show Mad Men use it to get that classic look. Its what most guys used in the 40s, 50s and 60s to get the look, just like my dad did. I never thought I'd be using the stuff my dad used on his hair, but here I am today and I am totally sold on brylcreem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21