Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buco vs. Buco M.K.S.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Does anyone have experience comparing a vintage USA-made Buco jacket to a Buco M.K.S. jacket?

According to Tanaka, the American Safety Equipment Corporation bought Buco in 1966 and focused its energies on mc helmets. The company imported jackets from England, Spain and Japan. The English-made ones have a tag that looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Of these particular jackets, Tanaka says "they were not good quality" but does not go further to substantiate this. Ebay prices seem to be much lower on M.K.S. examples, but that could be due solely to the "Tanaka factor."

Has anyone had direct experience to say whether or not the M.K.S. versions are of poor quality?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
How would you say it compares to other jackets of the era?
That's a good question, but I don't know the answer. I haven't seen enough. Mine is more of a racing shirt than a heavy jacket. The materials are average to good, and to their credit have held up well.

Wdawg

One of the Regulars
I bought one when I started buying vintage cafe racers off of eBay.

Honestly? I thought it was pretty bad and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. The seller pics (as always) made it look much better than it was, but the overall cut of the jacket just didn't seem that great, nor did the leather.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had an M.K.S. Buco I bought off ebay before I knew better. I paid just over $100 and resold it ASAP for break-even thank God. My jacket appeared to be vinyl, not leather. This was in the day I could buy a Joesph Buregelesisen steer hide J-100 in excellent condition size 46 for $600. Maybe in 1998. The research I did at the time confirmed my hands-on take of the M.K.S. jacket, M.K.S. made vinyl Buco labeled jackets for American Saftey Equipment Inc. Not to say MK.S. might not have squeed out a few dumb down leather jackets. IMO it is deceitful if sellers refer to Joesph Buregelesisen when selling M.K.S. jackets without disclosing there is no connection between the two

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I had an M.K.S. Buco I bought off ebay before I knew better. I paid just over $100 and resold it ASAP for break-even thank God. My jacket appeared to be vinyl, not leather. This was in the day I could buy a Joesph Buregelesisen steer hide J-100 in excellent condition size 46 for $600. Maybe in 1998. The research I did at the time confirmed my hands-on take of the M.K.S. jacket, M.K.S. made vinyl Buco labeled jackets for American Saftey Equipment Inc. Not to say MK.S. might not have squeed out a few dumb down leather jackets. IMO it is deceitful if sellers refer to Joesph Buregelesisen when selling M.K.S. jackets without disclosing there is no connection between the two
Would you say that also for RMC Buco label jackets?

MKS Buco was outsourced stuff, mostly nylon. Leather was meh at best, really thin and not much character Buco's known for and abysmal at worst. Same as with that HD CR that was supposed to replace a Sportster. That thing was falling apart at every seam how bad both leather and construction was.
@Guppy, you got a surprisingly nice MKS (surprisingly enough, it's actually made in leather). Buco first started making these outsourced jackets in the UK and then went even cheaper and moved to Japan. That's when nylon jackets took over. Company was pretty much done for at that point.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
MKS Buco was outsourced stuff, mostly nylon, all just plain bad. Leather was meh at best, abysimal at worst. Same as with that HD CR wich was supposed to replace a Sportster. That thing was falling apart at every seam how bad both leather and construction was. @Guppy, you got a surprisingly nice MKS (surprisingly enough, it's actually made in leather). Buco first started making jackets in the UK and then went even cheaper and moved to Japan. That's when nylon jackets took over. Company was pretty much done for at that point.
Yes, mine is pretty nice, really. Not thick heavy leather, but it is the nicest MKS I've ever seen or handled. Too tight for me and no one is interested in buying it despite the 30-odd lookers on ebay.

Ace Cafe Racer

New in Town
Does anyone have experience comparing a vintage USA-made Buco jacket to a Buco M.K.S. jacket?

According to Tanaka, the American Safety Equipment Corporation bought Buco in 1966 and focused its energies on mc helmets. The company imported jackets from England, Spain and Japan. The English-made ones have a tag that looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

Of these particular jackets, Tanaka says "they were not good quality" but does not go further to substantiate this. Ebay prices seem to be much lower on M.K.S. examples, but that could be due solely to the "Tanaka factor."

Has anyone had direct experience to say whether or not the M.K.S. versions are of poor quality?
Are you still interested in the comparison between the original US made Buco J22 from 1951 and the new reproductions from The Real McCoys as you asked this question 3 years ago. Yes, I do own both.

Are you still interested in the comparison between the original US made Buco J22 from 1951 and the new reproductions from The Real McCoys as you asked this question 3 years ago. Yes, I do own both.

I don't think this is something the OP was ever interested in. Gamma asked about a Buco M.K.S., not Joesph Buregelesisen's Buco Co.

MKS is not Buco. Buco died with Joe. After that American safety purchased the name. They sold accessories like helmets, gloves, saddle bags and fairings and retained the racing shirt style jacket. For a time on eBay, there were a ton of these in plastic bags, found as new old stock. I bought one for $49. Worst “leather” jacket I have ever handled in my life. I’m not convinced it even was leather. I immediately threw it in a clothing donation bin. Felt like something you would buy as part of a costume at Spirt Halloween. I agree with @jonbuilder, these jackets do a disservice to the Buco name. They are absolute, complete and total garbage.
If I have my history right, MKS is the third derivative, and looks equally as bad, if not worse.
To equate these with actual Buco jackets is just downright wrong. American Safety and MKS Buco labeled jackets should be gathered in one place and destroyed/wiped from history.

Ace Cafe Racer

New in Town
I have an original Buco J22 from !951 and it still holding up, the zip seams are the first to disintegrate but the horsehide is still strong. It will outlive me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner