Burned on Ebay

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by slightseconds, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

He's just started to get negative feedback from other recent sales..buyers getting rubbish comms & no items being shipped.

I wonder if he wants to try selling again for higher prices, not that we are talking premier goods here :)

Edward likes this.
  2. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Thanks for that, just seen it myself about half hour ago..that's the seller! Boring really, why bother trading at all? Waste of everyone's time..:)

3. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

I guess you can now order a book or magazine(new, but especially secondhand, have a bit of time to read it then send it back if the feature is not quite what you are after. Brilliant :) errrrr Not really

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

Mn. I think I might just go Etsy with the bits I have to sell, on that basis.... eBay are okay for buying on now, but I don't think any longer I want to sell there.

That's a bugger. I remember when eBay sellers used to put a reserve of £300 on something, but start it at a penny to keep auction costs down, then they all got snippy when people put on low bids...

bn1966 and MeachamLake like this.
  5. MeachamLake

MeachamLake A-List Customer

I think what you meant to say was that the Fedora Lounge's classifieds section is a great alternative to eBay.

Remember to stay on brand message Edward. ;)

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Well, naturally, when one has vintge-related items to sell..... for the rest, there's Etsy and such. ;)

7. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Jacket arrived :) I had involved eBay by this point...

Edward likes this.
  8. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Practically Family

So, how did this A2 story end?

rocketeer likes this.
  9. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

If anyone wants to feel “burned” like never before, try looking for an apartment. The fees for application are the worst. Haven’t been on here lately because of the miserable process known as looking for a place to live in California.

10. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

I just had a weird experience with e-Bay and PayPal that's pretty much put me off them for good. On Sunday afternoon I bought a jacket from a vender on e-Bay (a bricks-and-mortar store in the UK) and did the usual payment with PayPal via the e-Bay website. PayPal sent me an email notifying me payment had been made. But I never got notification from e-Bay about the purchase, nor did it ever show up in the "purchase" section. e-Bay did send me an email a few hours later saying roughly "the payment didn't go through so please do it again". Needless to say, I did NOT do that and just waited. On Monday I called e-Bay and they said my bank had rejected the payment. I called my bank and they said everything's kosher on their end. Today the payment has been posted to my credit card which means someone, hopefully the vender, has accepted the payment. I contacted them via e-Bay and on Sunday they said they had gotten no indication of any purchase or payment, but haven't responded to subsequent contacts. So it's a bit of a pickle... payment has been made and accepted by someone (finding out who someone is will be the next job) but e-Bay has no record of anything. I've removed my credit card from my PayPal account of course so that can't be used again. If anyone's had this happen before please chime in, or any ideas etc. Thanks.

11. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

It should be on PayPal customer service to straighten out the processing problem. It can be tough to get ping ponged between them and the bank and eBay. I've never had a problem like this, but I have had credit card transactions blocked for suspicious activity, and just contacted the card company to authorize, and they do and then I try again and it goes through. It usually takes less than a minute once I'm talking to a live person. I think they do it via text messaging now.

Since the cc charge did post on your end and your bank said it went through, you should provide the cc transaction number to paypal/ebay and have them look into it on their end. Does the item look sold, if you look at the ebay listing?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  12. Doctor Damage

There's no indication of any kind on the e-Bay site that I actually bought anything, no record at all. Their email to me warnign me the payment didn't go through and I should re-do it isn't even in my e-Bay "inbox". So it's very weird. But now that the payment has gone through (to someone) I will get on the phone again, as you suggest, and try to get someone to trace it. The total amount is $126 so it's not the end of the world, but if I can't trust e-Bay/PayPal do not screw these things up then I can't use either again.

13. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

That's really unusual. I've been using ebay since 1998, and I've never had such a problem. I hope you get it sorted out.

14. Doctor Damage

Just heard from the vendor and they have the PayPal record but nothing from e-Bay. They said they'll contact e-Bay and try to find out what's going on.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  15. Fanch

Fanch I'll Lock Up

Sounds like some kind of a software glitch but gives all of us cause for alarm. Please keep us updated and let us know exactly what went wrong after the dust has settled. Maybe someone hacked the vendor's account rather than yours?