Burned on Ebay

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by slightseconds, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

It certainly seems these days geared to scare of the few units, small-volume sellers. Hardly surprising, though, given the memo that was leaked so sensationally some years back, when they said they were turning their back on the original model, and the aim now is to get the place full of high volume unit shifters selling new product: more profitable for eBay, especially since they also introduced the final-sale-gouge. There are, these days things I tend to give away rather than be bothered ebaying.... but none of the alternatives are really worth the hassle or the most part now either. Basically, the model has been shifted in a way where it's simply not much cop any mored unless you'red running it as a business.

In the EU anyone selling as a business is legally obliged to accept returns. Ebay can impose that on private sellers too if they want - they're in control of how they want their system to work. Course, eBay has long been looking to attract only high volume business players as sellers, so it's not really in their interests to maked life easy or those private sellers who don't fit the profile.

Seems they can. I would think it unfair for changing your mind, but there are plenty of legit reasons. TBH, were I on the fence about something, a seller making a big thing of "no returns, absolutely ever" and such would be enough to put me off, whether fairly or no.

Brings back pre-smoking ban memories..... definitely something I don't miss!

Originally NZ, then the partners went their separate ways, and RM was made in Japan after that. The UK label seems odd. I can only guess if the jacket is a real RM, then it was relined somewhere in the UK by someone who added that label. I remember a line of jackets that AL made for Nigel Cabourn being labelled 'Nigel Cabourn Made in England', but I think that was just an oversight based on the jackets carrying the standard Cabourn label.

That's nuts! How did they think they could get away with it???

To be fair, there's no way I'd have spotted that myself. Easier to have repaired than mothed knits or a broken zip, I'd assume, though I would be ticked off if it hadn't been disclosed. Looks like either the thread has given way or perhaps been rubbed by a sharp edge - keys, credit card, whatever.

Selling stuff on on ebay if it doesn't suit is definitely a pain; everyone seems to think they should pay less than you did!

robrinay and ton312 like this.
  2. l0fielectronic

l0fielectronic Practically Family

It rang a bell with me as I've posted on here myself that I've had this jacket X number of years only to work out its much longer/shorter. As you say, too many jackets!

Is surprising the thread has gone like it has but as said, who knows the history of the jacket.

Not the case here but I remember I once spilt battery acid all over a rucksack. I washed it off in some water later only for the thead holding the pack together to completely disolve leaving me with just the seperated composite parts of the bag...

bn1966 and wild_balls like this.
  3. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I have held off on a couple purchases where I wasn't 100% sure about fit and the seller did not accept returns. Didn't want to take a gamble and get stuck with a jacket that didn't fit.

technovox and Edward like this.
  4. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

I didn't, because I figured if it didn't work out, I would be able to flip it and get most of my money back. It's been a good way to learn what my measurements needs are. There's enough variability in the way sellers measure stuff that you just never know, especially with a pattern that is new to you.

El Marro and JMax like this.
  5. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I agree, resell it. If you bought it at a good price you may even make money. Though too many folks treat eBay like Macy's or some department store. Try to return something at a flea market or garage sale, see how that goes. I see eBay like those type of markets, glad I am not the only one.

Mich486 and wild_balls like this.
  6. Guppy

Generally, I agree, but I draw the line at items that are misrepresented. In a flea market you have opportunity to do hands on inspection. On ebay you are relying on the seller's knowledge, integrity, and honor. In a flea market, you're dealing with cash, and reversing a transaction isn't easy unless both parties are willing. Payment services make it easier to force your the issue if you must. I do it very reluctantly, as a last resort.

El Marro, Technonut and JMax like this.
  7. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Good point, I was talking more along the lines of buyer's remorse or imperfect fits, etc. I agree that if the item is grossly misrepresented, such as "no smells" and the jacket smells like a bunch of hobos had a party in it, it should be returned. But if the seller measures 23" P2P and the buyer measures it upon receipt at 24", then resell.

wild_balls, El Marro and Mich486 like this.
  8. zhz

zhz Practically Family

I have seen many old real mccoy jackets made in goatskin with this label. Apparently, Real Mccoy used to source goatskin from UK in the early to Mid 90s, and this is why they put the labels there. So, this jacket is definitely not a fake.

9. willyto

willyto One Too Many

This jacket isn't goatskin though.

The question here is if contacting The Real McCoy's directly about their older jackets can get a straight response. I'm very curious about those labels being there.

bn1966 likes this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

FYI, new Ebay user agreement says buyer can cancel sale within 1 hour of closing- no reason, even if they have already paid.

11. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

That is pathetic. It means you can bid on a number of similar auction items and just pay for one that is the cheapest.
    I would suggest using the withdrawn bidders address to send them a whole heap of junk mail and and get them signed up for things they don't want:D:D:D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    wild_balls likes this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Though that could end you up with a whole heap of hassle viz data protection law.

rocketeer likes this.
  13. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

I would get my revenge somehow. I have had someone cancel their bid within the hr, the excuses are terrible and so obviously made up in an instant such as "My Little boy hit the touch screen on my iPad". Possible but highly coincidental with a 20 second to go auction. Bay also says "You are Committed to buy this item" when I guess they are not :(

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

Oh, I know what you mean. I've had it with sellers a few times. A vintage suit I was winning for twenty quid bid was suddenly "damaged or no longer available" twenty minutes before the end of the auction, then miraculously was available for sale the following week - with a reserve of £100. Similarly, a guitar I was winning at £120 odds disappeared - "no longer available" - yet there it was on ebay the following week, with a much higher start price. I report these things to eBay (I do all the time - the latest one is a US-based counterfeiter selling fake 59 club membership patches), but I doubt they ever look into it, as long as they get their gouge.

AbbaDatDeHat and El Marro like this.
  15. breezer

breezer Practically Family

time to unsubscribe from this thread

16. rocketeer

rocketeer Call Me a Cab

Yes it's going nowhere. How about the original poster divulging what action he is going to take to finish it off ;)

17. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

I got the highest bid in just shy of 3 weeks ago on a Replica B15-C on the Bay (paid immediately what I consider to be a low price), to date..no jacket..no tracking number...only one communication could I tease out of the Vendor a week ago..no responses since

Will it arrive or won't it? Do they want me to request a refund? Who knows :)

18. MeachamLake

MeachamLake A-List Customer

Crikey, that never arrived? How bizarre.

I remember seeing that listing, I think this is the seller? Another buyer has left negative feedback featuring a similar story to your own during the past month...

https://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBay...=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=negative&interval=365

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

It used to be the case that for non-paying bidders you got three strikes then eBay killed your account. Not sure if that's the same for sellers....

20. Guppy

Ebay just announced new policies that will be effective after March. They are strongly encouraging sellers to accept returns up to 30 days after the sale.

I think that's fine for new products and retailers, but it's going to kill vintage clothing and sellers who use eBay like a digital flea market or garage sale.

They're also implementing a new "seller protection" program, which I am skeptical about. But I guess we'll see.

Edward, El Marro, ProteinNerd and 2 others like this.