Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Jackets

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I love safari jackets, in fact just yesterday I found a Willis and Geiger safari jacket my size and in excellent shape in Goodwill. It's the second Willis and Geiger I've found at Goodwill. I've also found Orvis, Cabela's, Banana Republic, LL Bean and even a great Ralph Lauren one. Needless to say when I brought home another Willis and Geiger my wife said "ANOTHER ONE" you've already got a bunch of them! I've seen a few others that weren't my size and didn't bother buying them. At $4.00 a piece I can't resist buying them when I see them, especially the Willis and Geiger, they have a very distinct look about them. Both mine have the maroon tags.

This last one has the padding on the front right chest area for shooting a rifle. It doesn't have a belt like my other one does, it has some short pieces of elastic sewn into the front on both sides to pull it together just a bit at the waist. My daughter thinks it looks stupid, but hey it's a Willis and Geiger so I don't care, besides I only paid 4 dollars for it. Here's a pic.
DSCN0651.jpg

regards fedoralover

Phog Allen

Familiar Face
Mycroft; Try looking at Filson's bush jacket. It isn't cheap but it is listed(I think)as being treated for water repellancy. If washed, it will need to be re-treated. I'm sure you could scotch guard any of them for some water shedding effect. You might even try some of Filson's treatments for their shelter or tin cloth materials.

Fedoralover; Neat jacket. I'll have to look through the one decent and several meager used clothing shops in town for one of those Willis and Geiger jackets. They are just too cool to pass up.

Todd

Mycroft

One Too Many
Phog Allen said:
Mycroft; Try looking at Filson's bush jacket. It isn't cheap but it is listed(I think)as being treated for water repellancy. If washed, it will need to be re-treated. I'm sure you could scotch guard any of them for some water shedding effect. You might even try some of Filson's treatments for their shelter or tin cloth materials.

Fedoralover; Neat jacket. I'll have to look through the one decent and several meager used clothing shops in town for one of those Willis and Geiger jackets. They are just too cool to pass up.

Todd

Thanks man, I will look into it.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
fedoralover said:
At $4.00 a piece I can't resist buying them when I see them, especially the Willis and Geiger, they have a very distinct look about them. Both mine have the maroon tags.

Okay, now I'm curious. What are the different tag colors, and what's the difference between them? I'm guessing it's something about the quality of the jacket.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm no expert but from what I've been told the tags were changed to a blue after they sold out to Lands End. Generally when companies change hands like that the quality goes down. However I can't say that happened in this case. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

fedoralover

Baggers

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
Thanks man, I will look into it.

I just saw Filson's latest incarnation of their bush jacket today, and I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. The fabric feels thinner, it now has shorter (what I consider vestigial) epaulettes, and when they redesigned the back to incorporate bi swing pleats they did away with the yoke which just seems to weaken the overall design, in my opinion. And the leather buckle is still sewn into the belt, which makes it difficult to launder without damaging it.

It seems that since the company was acquired by a larger concern (Ralph Lauren?) they've started skimping on some the things that made Filson clothing seem so darn bullet proof. I spoke with their former sales rep back in March when I visited the David Morgan store in Bothell Washington, and got a bad vibe when he informed me of the change in ownership. Looks like my instincts were correct.

I've been buying Filson stuff for years -- I have two of their earlier bush jackets hanging in my closet right now -- but it looks like they've started cutting corners, at least with their bush poplin gear. Frankly, I'm doubtful that this new one will be as durable as their earlier versions. What a shame. :cry:

Cheers

indyjim

Familiar Face
I am so tired of companies aquiring other companies and then cheapening the
product. I once had a wonderful Banana Republic photojournalist's vest, but
gave it away when I ...er... outgrew it. Now I wouldn't consider any BR products, if they even made this stuff.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Baggers said:
I just saw Filson's latest incarnation of their bush jacket today, and I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. The fabric feels thinner, it now has shorter (what I consider vestigial) epaulettes, and when they redesigned the back to incorporate bi swing pleats they did away with the yoke which just seems to weaken the overall design, in my opinion. And the leather buckle is still sewn into the belt, which makes it difficult to launder without damaging it.

It seems that since the company was acquired by a larger concern (Ralph Lauren?) they've started skimping on some the things that made Filson clothing seem so darn bullet proof. I spoke with their former sales rep back in March when I visited the David Morgan store in Bothell Washington, and got a bad vibe when he informed me of the change in ownership. Looks like my instincts were correct.

I've been buying Filson stuff for years -- I have two of their earlier bush jackets hanging in my closet right now -- but it looks like they've started cutting corners, at least with their bush poplin gear. Frankly, I'm doubtful that this new one will be as durable as their earlier versions. What a shame. :cry:

Cheers

Oh really, I was planning on going with the Cabells since it is lighter I think and nicer cut for me anyhow. Thanks for the heads up though.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Vintage Bush Jacket (bespoke?)

A few months ago, I had the good fortune to find a (1940-50's) vintage cotton-khaki bush jacket, authentic (British?) government issue, with the original military laundry mark on the inside. It is professionally tailored, very form-fitting, with mitered seams across the chest, precise waist supression via multiple vertical seams in the front and back, inverted box pleat in back, and a self-fabric belt.

BushJacket.jpg

BT, do you think I am correct about the history of this jacket? It has had multiple launderings, and the text on the label is totally washed away, so that is no help. I am guessing it is British government issue because it very closely resembles those I have seen in photos and it has a military laundry mark (W-5247) stamped on the inside.

The extensive professional tailoring is an unusual feature. BT, did British army officers buy their own uniforms in the 1940-50's? If so, perhaps the original owner opted for sartorial splendor in the field with a bespoke jacket?

As you can see in the photos, it fits me like a glove?¢‚Ǩ‚Äùalbeit a very snug glove. I had to suck in my gut a bit for these photos. Perhaps that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s appropriate for a military garment.

I'm eager to hear what the militaria buffs on the Fedora Lounge have to say about this jacket.

Regards,

?¢‚Ǩ‚ÄùJack

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi!
It appears similar to an issue '40s British job but not exactly like any issue Bush Shirt/Jacket-

What are the buttons like/made of/how are they attached?
What is the weave of the fabric?

Yes- British officers were required to purchase their own duds- which amounts to off the rack private military outfitter menswear or tailored.
Are you sure it has to be British? The US Army and AAF use Bush Jackets into the '50s and beyond...
Could also be Canadian of course.

For British Officers (or of any nation)stationed in Egypt, Afghanistan, Persia, India, China...etc,. there were always plenty of sukh, or market Tailors to choose from for a pittance paid.

There is an excellent book: "Khaki Drill & Jungle Green", which covers the inter-war and WW2 periods in British and Commonwealth tropical attire- covers a vast ocean of issued variants and privately acquired items-

It's a very nice example! nicely proportioned- Ilike the back pleat a lot.
You have a great jacket there-

B
T

SPAD

New in Town
Bush jacket

Just got a Safari -Bush jacket, short sleeve, from US Wings at a reasonable price. 2XL, and I wear a 46- 48 jacket and the jacket fits good and is made of pretty heavy weight cotton. Nice khaki color. Summer is coming. Looks good. SPAD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk