Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Jackets

The Purdey $750.00 Safari Jacket

The other day whilst surfing around I stumbled upon a company called the Royal Male in Newport RI,a Purdey(the London gun) has a 750.00 safari jacket!!What in God`s name makes this piece of cloth that much money?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
donCarlos: The Ebay seller I bought mine from (he's still selling them) doesn't mentioned a date.

bburtner: I guess if you're buying a shotgun for £20,000 you wouldn't blink at paying $750 for a jacket to go with it. Maybe they give them away free if you buy a brace of shotguns/rifles.

Royal Male, eh? Reminds me of a shop called His Royal Majesty favoured by Homer Simpson. :eusa_doh:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The Sods must be Crazy!

Ridiculous cotton jacket for $790.
http://admiralnelson.com/shop/display.asp?ID=215

"Whether you are on Safari in Africa or heading down to the corner store for a pint of milk.
This Purdey's Safari Jacket made from a cotton canvas will have you looking rugged and good!"

So, obviously, it's designed more for the milk run.

Or, perhaps, for the English Sir, the equally stupid one, for £345.
http://www.james-purdey.net/store/product/39860/5/menswear/tailoring/4-pocket-safari-jacket/

"Four Pocket Cotton Twill Jacket
A cotton twill jacket is notable for its characteristic diagonal weave. "

Wow! Cotton twill is notable for its diagonal weave- is that all this jacket has going for it? Cotton twill has always been notable for its diagonal weave- that's what twill is.

The exclusivity of "Safari".
When rugged, basic clothing just will not do... or you like cotton twill
and need a pint of milk.

B
T

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I own an inexpensive jacket bought from the HBC for 60 dollars. It's 4 pleated pockets and an inside wallet pocket. I wear it while tramping around in the bush. I also scored a similar jacket from GAP, which is made of hardier canvas and is perfect to wear to movie theatres where many small pockets come in handy. The HBC jacket is probably a better jacket, but the GAP one is disposable, so I wear both.

As for hot weather, I'll wear a safari shirt with a khaki coloured vest or bush coat overtop. I remember learning, as a boy soldier, that the most efficient way to carry something in hot weather is to wear it.

Thomas

H.Johnson

One Too Many
No doubt there are people who would ask what is the point of clothing that bespeaks of extensive leisure and/or expensive travel if he clothing is not itself expensive.

I like cheap and authentic - for me that means a bush shirt and trousers bought from a market in Zambia for the equivalent of around 5 GBP (I regard that as about as authentic as you can get) or a variety of modern or vintage (e.g. 1950 Pattern) British ex-military jackets and/or trousers (and shorts), none of which cost me more than 20 GBP. That has its own sort of authenticity.

You can get cheap 'safari' clothing and I don't see anything wrong with it. My favourite bush jacket is an ex-Indian army WW2 job that cost me nothing. It was given to me by a guy I worked for in the 1960s who had served in Ceylon (think of the scenes set in Ceylon from the film 'Bridge Over The River Kwai'). These jackets (which were produced in India) have a very distinctive collar and some people hate them, but I like them. Anyway, to me free is better than £345. Just my opinion, of course.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I tell you what - I will give (as in for nothing) a similar lightweight jacket in cotton/linen mix (size 40"-42"chest for someone around 6ft tall) to anyone who will pay the shipping (postage). PM Me.

BellyTank said:
Ridiculous cotton jacket for $790.
http://admiralnelson.com/shop/display.asp?ID=215

"Whether you are on Safari in Africa or heading down to the corner store for a pint of milk.
This Purdey's Safari Jacket made from a cotton canvas will have you looking rugged and good!"

So, obviously, it's designed more for the milk run.

B
T

H.Johnson

One Too Many
If I recall correctly, the UK vendor I was talking to at a military fair recently (the same one who sells them on the WWW) told me that the shirts were from the 1960s.

donCarlos said:
Just out of interest, what year are the shirts meant to be from?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
They are fine! No need for hype. I'd have one myself if they were one or two sizes smaller

Creeping Past said:
I've may have been kit-hyped! But I don't mind. I was aiming for a wearable, affordable Aertex-like shirt... and I got one.

The Czech hype is bearable. At least I wasn't got by the vintage special forces hype or semi-plausible heritage hype.

Edward

Bartender
Finally, a picture of my WPG-via-SoF jacket, in, uhm, "action":

IMGP2611.jpg

Well, okay, it's in costume at a burlesque night, but still..... That's a size 42R, which is my normal jacket size, and it's plenty big without being too large. Certainly wouldn't go up to a 44. I'm only wearing an undershirt under there, but there would be sufficient room for a shirt were I to be so minded.

FWIW, the hat is my Safari-ised Akubra Riverina, the trews Wested's Indy pants, and the boots are Cats - a higher (think jumpboot) boot, but otherwise very similar to the WW2 US roughout service shoe. The leggings are vintage, via ebay. Seller listed them as "30s or 40s"; I'm not sure myself, but I'd have thought certainly pre-war in style. Lovely things to wear. Need a bit of leather feeding, I think, but grand condition. Due to complete lack of interest from any other bidders, I got them for about GBP10.00, which seemed cheap to me.

Oh.... and the machete sheath is WW2 era British issue. Rough, but again, cheap, and should clean up well when I have the time.... Mindful of the law on knives and not wanting to be arrested, it contains naught more than a plastic Indy-branded "knife".

Cozmo

New in Town
Beretta Kalahari Safari Jacket

I have been looking for this jacket since reading of it here but have been unable to locate one to purchase. Maybe they have stopped making them?:eusa_doh:

Edward

Bartender
I can't comment on their Bush Jacket, but I do own a LW B3, and the quality of that is outstnading. I bought it used from another FL member, LW prices being a touch rich for my blood. The Bush Jacket they turn out is, I'm sure, excellent, but the price does appear rather outlandish given the number of much more affordable alternatives on the market. [huh]

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
I ran across a safari jacket earlier this evening that Mike K. didn't have in his lineup a few pages back. It's over at the 'Gentleman's Emporium'. It's a site that has reproduction Victorian Era clothing for those unfamiliar with it.

The jacket itself looks decent. It might not be perfect, but it looks good in their setup. At $70 it's a little expensive for me. Anyone ever seen this one before or have any testament to the quality?

Here's the link (it's a long link):
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/002316.php?__utma=1.2089236782322488300.1246767246.1246767246.1246767246.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1246767246&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1246767246.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=60810669

-Allen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy