Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bush Jackets

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
I love bush jackets. My British one from WPG is probably my favorite to wear shooting. But for something different, here are a few Italian types.

GiubbaVento012.jpg
[/IMG]
GiubbaVento008.jpg

Italianimpression019.jpg

Type1tropicaltunic003.jpg

294775_157979894285666_100002209705170_332830_3802155_n.jpg

Pipes, pith helmets and bush jackets!
MarysvilleAirShowJune2012015-1.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Beretta's men's safari jackets might be weird looking these days, but the women's jackets are still classic. I guess that's a good enough reason to post this photo, eh?

Here's the GU 55 from Beretta, which is now several years discontinued. The belt was lower placed that it should have been, but I always liked the design of the pockets. I almost bought one but didn't get around to it, and then they were no longer available.

Here's the current Filson safari jacket, photos from eBay. Does anyone around here have one of these? One of the long timers on StyleForum said the cloth on these was "so so" and he thought the stitching was too big or crude in places. I'd be interested in comments, since I'm thinking of ordering one but can't check one out in person. Thanks.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Below are official measurements for Filson's bush jacket (style #10051) which were provided by the company's customer service department (thanks, Zak!). Previously I posted measurements for sizes M and L, but they today were able to provide measurements for size S.

SIZE: S M L

CHEST 49 52 55
SWEEP 48 51 54
NECK 17½ 18 18½
BACK 32¼ 33 33¾
ARMHOLE 24¾ 25½ 26¼
SLEEVE 35 35½ 36
CUFF 10 10½ 11

StewartU

New in Town
I telephoned them a few months back and those jackets have been discontinued. They are currently selling off the few which remain. They look amazing, just the right proportions to my eye, and I wish I had bought one a couple years ago when I originally spotted them.

Discontinued? There website seems to have both an old model and a new one, both on sale.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
I telephoned them a few months back and those jackets have been discontinued. They are currently selling off the few which remain. They look amazing, just the right proportions to my eye, and I wish I had bought one a couple years ago when I originally spotted them.
Discontinued? There website seems to have both an old model and a new one, both on sale.
They seem to have repopulated their website. When I called they had only one or two sizes left and the person said they were discontinued. Perhaps they changed their mind. Buy one!

Oldsarge

One Too Many
It looks like an old Willis and Geiger but I can't make out the label, even magnifying it a couple of times. It has several posh features that are of dubious value in the bush. Shell loops over the left pocket will weigh down the garment making it uncomfortable to wear for any period. Additionally, if you wear your spare ammo on your jacket instead of on your belt, you have to keep the jacket on even when it's too warm for a jacket. The recoil pad on the other shoulder is laughable. Given the recoil of dangerous game rifles (DGR's), that little bit of padding will make absolutely no difference and the fact that it's made out of padded cotton instead of suede provides no assistance in keeping the gun up where it belongs. Besides, when ol' M'bogo is looking at you like you owe him money from about three seconds away, you won't feel the recoil anyway. Trust me on this one! So it's over featured, and likely over-priced unless you are planning on doing a Stewart Granger imitation and attempting to charm the young ladies. In that case, the expense is fully warranted!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I bought this older Banana Republic safari jacket from eBay (size 42) and it's in great condition and the fit is perfect. I wish I had bought something like this years ago!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
Great looking find! Is that a leather buckle?

I miss the old BR...:(
The quality of this jacket is quite excellent. The buckle is unfortunately plastic, but at least I don't have to worry about removing it to clean. The flap on the left breast pocket is actually sewn on at an angle, which is evident in the photo, but when I'm wearing it's not noticeable since the cloth bunches up and the jacket slouches nicely. I will probably get a new Filson one in the spring, if my income is still strong and the US dollar still weak.

Baggers

Practically Family
Yes, that's always the downside to leather buckles on clothing, they get beat up so easily when they're washed. The one time I had my old Burberry dry cleaned, the shop that did it knew to remove the buckles and resew them afterwards -- without my asking. That was over 20 years ago. The place is probably long gone along with the institutional knowledge that they'd acquired over the years.

I haven't seen a Filson bush jacket in a few years. They simplified the pattern and the one I handled at the time seemed to be made from a thinner, softer fabric. The one I have is at least ten years old, has true bellows lower pockets, a shoulder yoke on the back with a center reverse back pleat, and the fabric is the old "stiff as a board when new" tightly woven bush poplin. Have both khaki and green colors. And they both have leather buckles on the belts. On the khaki jacket I removed the line of stitching holding it on and replaced it with a large press stud for ease of removal before washing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko