Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Down Oxford Shirt/ Quality and Thickness WHERE ?

Sonero

Practically Family
Been researching oxford shirts as I get into minimalism. Oxford shirts are a staple of a man's wardrobe.

JPress
Gitman Vintage
Max Weldon
Speir and Mcay.
Kamakura
Todd Snyder

I won't mention BrooksBrothers or Ralph Lauren because I have been told their quality has plummeted.

Gitman Vintage says their fabric is a heavyweight 5oz LOL 5oz is considered summer/lightweight in the world I live in. Is 5oz really the thickest oxford out there ? At $170 per shirt I don't get why they are popular.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction ? LL BEAN for $60 are "OK" but MUCH thinner than years past.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is one of the thickest button down oxford I have ever bought. Hidden button.

Sonero

Practically Family
This is one of the thickest button down oxford I have ever bought. Hidden button.
Any idea what ounce cotton it is ?

Edward

Bartender
I've always liked Darcy stuff. Not cheap, but nice. The suits are actually very nice. I believe they started out as being sold to the film industry as a cheaper way to costume crowd scenes in first-half of the 20thC pictures, but I find them pretty good for day to day wear, much cheaper than a lot of more 'involved' tailoring. Recently bought a shirt from Revival Vintage which reminds me of the build and quality of my old school uniform shirts; I'll see how long it lasts. My day to day office shirts for the last decade or more have been Charles Tyrwhitt. Used to be £100 for four; I believe that's gone up to £139 for four now, but still impressive. Lovely shirts. The non-iron ones are a wonder for day to day wear - I can't feel any difference between them and regular 'iron' shirts, but they're so convenient. Limited in collar shape (cutaway or the traditional Jermyn Street collar), but otherwise good. Offer both double cuff and button cuff.

Sonero

Practically Family
My day to day office shirts for the last decade or more have been Charles Tyrwhitt. Used to be £100 for four; I believe that's gone up to £139 for four now, but still impressive. Lovely shirts.
I was looking at the website but the rose logo on the Oxfords is a deal breaker. How could they put a rose logo on a man's staple wardrobe item ?

GRANT has some nice looking oxfords but that logo is humungous .

Edward

Bartender
I was looking at the website but the rose logo on the Oxfords is a deal breaker. How could they put a rose logo on a man's staple wardrobe item ?

GRANT has some nice looking oxfords but that logo is humungous .

Not sure which one that is? Their casual Oxford shirts I've had had a small, embroidered bird on the chest (which I didn't really notice at first myself, but then I always wore it with a blazer, so). Only one I can find is this?

1653557385383.png

As to why the rose, I believe it's part of their endorsement of the England rugby team, whose emblem is, of course, a rose. I don't think I'm seeing the same shirts as you are, though, cause I can only find a big thing with it in the sportswear stuff?

Sonero

Practically Family
Not sure which one that is? Their casual Oxford shirts I've had had a small, embroidered bird on the chest (which I didn't really notice at first myself, but then I always wore it with a blazer, so). Only one I can find is this?

View attachment 428873

As to why the rose, I believe it's part of their endorsement of the England rugby team, whose emblem is, of course, a rose. I don't think I'm seeing the same shirts as you are, though, cause I can only find a big thing with it in the sportswear stuff?
That doesn't look too bad as well as some of the tonal roses but there are Oxfords where it sticks out too much. I couldn't do it.

Sonero

Practically Family
Charles Tywhtt is doing $33 dress shirts !!! BUY NOW.

My Charles Tyrwhtt shirts came in..... HORRIBLE even for $33 each. Awful looking seams, weird sized collars and just an overall cheap presentation. I won't be buying more of them.

J Press Oxford - Very happy for the most part. Classic fit and maybe 5.5oz oxford cloth which is the minimum for me. Points off though for the collar feeling somewhat flimsy.
Mercer and Sons makes one in 6 oz which will be my next purchase .

My LL Bean oxfords are really not bad for the $49 price.

Waiting on an order from Spier and Mcay to show up...

Sonero

Practically Family
Got it touch with Mercer and Sons who make a 6oz well respected Oxford. I am a slim fit so they mentioned that all their shirts are classic fit BUT they could take a 14 1/2" collar put it onto a 15 1/2 shirt body then taper the short body from there. Chest measurments cannot be altered....NO THANKS for $200 :)

Enter Proper Cloth....waiitng on that shrt to arrive

So far Jpress and LL Bean win. Don't forget LL Bean ....nobody mentions them anymore but they have decent oxfords.

Spier and Mcay was a nightmare. MADE IN INDIA. I knew it just by first glance. Cheap low quality material and look that only India and bangladesh can produce.

Sonero

Practically Family
Moving right along......

Received shirts from UK brand HAWES and Curtis. 3 shirts for roughly $200 US. I like the quality and the color choices but unfortunately a few shirts I liked were double cuffs or french cuffs only. At roughly $60 a shirt I would rate them a step above Charles Trywhitt.

Proper Cloth just sent me a shipping label from Vietnam ..... I am half anticipating a disaster but we shall see.

The UNDERDOG ? LL BEAN. They still make a great oxford for $60. I have 2 to prove it :)

Sonero

Practically Family
This is getting worse day by day :)

Lorenzo Uomo " The Perfect Shirt " in color black. Cheap crap made in China worth $30 retail at best sells for $125. Arrived today. Crap quality substandard but has a decent fit.....BUT someone decided adding ORANGE ATHLETIC Material to the side vents would be cool ! I can't even post a photo it is so embarrassing. I 've got on a dress shirt in front but when I turn to the sides I have orange football jersey material . It's ridiculous . Who comes up with these ideas ? Charles Trywhtt is looking better everyday I must say.

Awaiting Proper Cloth shirt from " Gasp " Vietnam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112