Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button Fly Suit Trousers

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I find them far more convenient when visiting the lavatory. But braces are another matter.

And on the upside, you'll never face the horror of a "Something About Mary" zipper moment.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I find it a little embarrassing, myself, to use the stand-up loo and have to partially undress to do so. Still, I prefer button flies. My jeans are Levi's 501.

I can't think of any other downside. The braces-with-waistcoat thing is a royal pain.

Geesie

Practically Family
Or if a button pops off at an inconvenient time.
Not arguing against button fly, but you did ask about downsides.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I prefer a button fly. As for buttons popping off at inconvenient times it is much easier to recover and repair one missing button than a broken/jammed zipper. The only downside for me is that trousers with a button fly are hard to find and usually cost a premium.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
button fly all the way!

I too used to wear Levi's 501's so there was no adjustment for me. I found a pair of 1930's pants with what appear to be bake-lite buttons. the only bummer is all but 2 of the braces buttons are broken in half with the other half missing. The fly buttons are in tact though. They are a dark charcoal grey with a faint red and shadow of light grey window pane check and a "fish-tail" waiste band with a 2 1/4" cuff. they also have the watch pocket. Got them for $20... score! and btw I have had to button my pants before with only my left hand. It's a skill like anything else - you do what you have to do to get done what needs to be.

C.K.

I actually believe the "Talon" hype form the early 30s. A zipper is more convenient (as Scotrace mentions, at a urinal it's much more convenient to unzip rather than having to undo the waistband, then the buttons), and creates a cleaner line down the front centre seam of the trousers. I used to be a real button fly maniac; but as i used them more, they just piss me off more and more.

I prefer a zipper, but i'm not a stickler for them. The few suits i've owned from the golden era which have had zippers added to originally button fly trousers, i've pulled the zipper out and replaced the buttons.

bk

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Braces v. Belts.

When worn with braces they're manageable enough but when worn with belts they're a royal pain in the a$$.

My father (b.1914) was weened on button trou but jumped to zips during the War and never looked back; but then he always favored belts to braces.

Edward

Bartender
I like both. I would tend to agree with the consensus that a zip is much more convenient, though buttons are most certainly much more easily repaired. I first encountered button flies on the army surplus clothing I was fixated with from about 14, and have never looked back. It's not a deal breaker one way or the other for me.

Suitable

New in Town
At my request, my tailor makes my trousers with a button fly, an English (fishtail, brace) back, and no belt loops (I always wear braces). There's no extra charge for any of that. I doubt he gets many requests for those options, but they do appear on his standard ticket (I've seen him typing in my orders).

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Suitable said:
At my request, my tailor makes my trousers with a button fly, an English (fishtail, brace) back, and no belt loops (I always wear braces). There's no extra charge for any of that. I doubt he gets many requests for those options, but they do appear on his standard ticket (I've seen him typing in my orders).
Very Nice indeed.. Just the way trousers should be styled!

I have my casual trousers detailed this way too (Cords and Moleskins) by Bookster1. All my suits have a traditional Fishtail rear and Brace buttons, button fly etc

RBH

Suitable

New in Town
I've been tempted for some time to order some moleskin trousers from that firm. I think I'll go ahead and treat myself to a pair after the holidays.

While we're on the subject, I also eschew back pockets.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Suitable said:
I've been tempted for some time to order some moleskin trousers from that firm. I think I'll go ahead and treat myself to a pair after the holidays.

While we're on the subject, I also eschew back pockets.
Yes, Go ahead.. I really like them
FYI, a couple of pics of my Navy Moleskin Trousers from Bookster1
Moleskins004.jpg

Suitable

New in Town
Those moleskin trousers are indeed very handsome. Is the colour what bookster calls midnight blue? They appear not to offer navy in moleskin.

I shall have to order a pair of those trousers. I tend to prefer two pleats but hesitate to request pleats in thick moleskin. Any advice on this point?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner