Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button placement on morning coat?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I just got a vintage morning coat today. I have a modern one that I wear to weddings and things. The modern one suffers from most of the problems that Orgetorix wrote up on his post on the importance of fit awhile back. Also it has insainly large armholes... When I button it and raise my arms I look worse than a character from that old Dick Tracy movie... Just call me Shoulders...

The vintage one buttons much higher on my body (about 3" above my naval) and show much more of my waistcoat. On another note it does have one of those neat "link front" on it:D

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Photos:
358554035.jpg

358554022.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Looks good! I think the vintage standard, and what this would originally have been worn with, would be trousers with a much higher rise and a significantly shorter vest. The result is that less of the vest shows below the morning coat fronts, like so:

weddingbigcopy7kvee4.jpg

Still your coat looks great, and it'll be fun to keep hunting for the other pieces!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!

Its one of those things about a vintage jacket/coat, with the high armholes and the fit, it just "feels" better than my modern one. I can put waistcoat, coat and tie and sit at a computer, work and not feel like the jacket is a straight jacket.

My stripped trousers are pretty high waist (not the ones I have in the picture), but the waistcoat is a modern one from Pakeman, Catto and Carter, so its longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner