Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Button suspenders and messy shirt

sola fide

One of the Regulars
I've collected some nice button suspenders and discovered my shirt tails work their way up leaving a messy unkempt look. I noticed vintage shirts had long tails like sleeping gowns. Any suggestions to keep my shirt from coming up no longer having a belt to keep everything in place. Never wear a belt and suspenders, right?
Thanks
Michael

viclip

Practically Family
Viewing vintage photos of men sporting suspenders without vests, it's my impression that the waists of their pants were somewhat generous. That would have allowed their shirt tails to naturally slither back down, if not on their own responsive to gravity then with a slight sweep of the hand.

drcube01

New in Town
What helped, when I had this problem in the past, was to start tucking my undershirt into my underwear. I always thought that was a dumb, nerdy way to do things, but once I started wearing nicer clothes all the time, I found it really made a difference. Something about a loose undershirt makes your shirt come untucked in a billowy mess all the time. I was considering shirt stays before I made that change. Now that just seems like over kill.

Of course, you need to make sure your shirt actually fits. This is problem is most noticeable to me when I'm wearing a looser-than-normal shirt.

paxonus

New in Town
I would second the above advice. I wear suspenders with all my trousers and find they work best when there is about 1 inch of extra width in the waist. I also wear shirts that are fitted properly close around the chest with high arm holes. This combination helps keep the shirt tucked in and looking neat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy