Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a B3!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the reply.

Well, i dont think my skinny jeans on the picture does me any favour! With another jeans it does not look THAT big.

But, its not just the sleeves. I did try it on now, and i find the fit very strange.

I have 37 chest (and overall very skinny, wich i have been all my life).

I usually wear 36 (sometimes 38).

This jacket are enormous in the upper arms! I can grab a whole hand with extra leather!

But still, it is very tight moving the arms! I can barely reach the zipper when fully zipped. Will this be easier with use?

Shoulders feels ok, and the chest is ok ( slightly tight when fully zipped), and plenty of room around belly/waist!

I have sheepskin jackets from Schott and Cockpit in both 36 without any problems.

42 will be way to big! And 38 will be way to tight..

Maybe this style simply dont fit me? Very frustrating because i love the jacket. I wish i could try it for a few weeks before i decide :p because brand new it does not feel 100%
To be honest...I don't think this jacket is very flattering.
But surely a single photo is also not meaningful.
Based on this one photo, I would think that the jacket is a bit too long and at the same time too wide at the bottom.
I am also very slim and know the problem. The narrow lower body comes with long wide jackets even more to the fore.
I would probably continue to look for something better fitting.

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
To be honest...I don't think this jacket is very flattering.
But surely a single photo is also not meaningful.
Based on this one photo, I would think that the jacket is a bit too long and at the same time too wide at the bottom.
I am also very slim and know the problem. The narrow lower body comes with long wide jackets even more to the fore.
I would probably continue to look for something better fitting.

Thank you for your honesty! Thats what i want. I can try to take some better pictures today outside. But i agree, it does not feel like i hoped at all.

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
Just took some very quick fit pictures outside my house with my selfie timer :p not the best photos! But you can see the fit at least.

Any inputs?

Attachments

• B1D16CC7-44B6-4BDF-A7E5-3F1C22AC1F59.png
    B1D16CC7-44B6-4BDF-A7E5-3F1C22AC1F59.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 300
  • A9DEC196-936B-457D-9C19-03F877D695A0.png
    A9DEC196-936B-457D-9C19-03F877D695A0.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 290
  • A76ABCD3-0EBB-4907-B2FA-8F77D19163A6.png
    A76ABCD3-0EBB-4907-B2FA-8F77D19163A6.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 278
  • 6F2AA2E6-1C05-4270-8BD7-FCC43A0F0921.png
    6F2AA2E6-1C05-4270-8BD7-FCC43A0F0921.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 293

MrProper

Just took some very quick fit pictures outside my house with my selfie timer :p not the best photos! But you can see the fit at least.

Any inputs?
Way better.
Just open it looks pretty good.
The sleeves also seem to fit just so. In my opinion, they should not be much shorter for such a jacket. The width at the hips you can still regulate the buckles?
But with these pictures I revise my opinion. Looks good.

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
Way better.
Just open it looks pretty good.
The sleeves also seem to fit just so. In my opinion, they should not be much shorter for such a jacket. The width at the hips you can still regulate the buckles?
But with these pictures I revise my opinion. Looks good.

Thanks!

Yes i actually did strap it up at the waist with the buckles after i took these pictures! It was in the first hole, now it is on third. So its a better fit around the waist now.

It is very big around the upper arms, but looking at photos of others it seems like they are suppose to be like that?

MrProper

Thanks!

Yes i actually did strap it up at the waist with the buckles after i took these pictures! It was in the first hole, now it is on third. So its a better fit around the waist now.

It is very big around the upper arms, but looking at photos of others it seems like they are suppose to be like that?
Yes, this is part of the style of the jacket. But I think it doesn't look overdone in the last photos.
I have a shealring jacket that is tighter at the sleeves but still looks wide. But that's ok... I think ;-)

Edward

Bartender
Years ago, a member on here bought a B3, I think from Aero back in the "anything goes" days, and had it entirely covered in FQHH. It looked great, though I imagine it wore like armour. Very, very warm armour...

If I could only wear a B-3 for 3 months of the year I’d go 5*, if I could wear one 6 months of the year I’d have an Eastmans (and request a Long). As it is in the south of the UK I might get away with a B-3 for a couple of weeks so I purchased a D-1 (ELC).

I think it will vary a lot between individuals too. I've worn a B3 and an Irvin in Winter in London from November to February before now, and never felt it too warm. I definitely feel the cold more when I'm lighter, though.

bn1966

Years ago, a member on here bought a B3, I think from Aero back in the "anything goes" days, and had it entirely covered in FQHH. It looked great, though I imagine it wore like armour. Very, very warm armour...

I think it will vary a lot between individuals too. I've worn a B3 and an Irvin in Winter in London from November to February before now, and never felt it too warm. I definitely feel the cold more when I'm lighter, though.

Went to Eastmans yesterday and tried on their new light weight Irvin type flight jacket..marvellous..not going there though as my D-1 does the same job. Looking for an N-3B for standing still in our coldest weather.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

Any inputs?
Looks like a nice trim fit. How is the mobility? Can you drive a car or drink a beer in it (probably best not to try simultaneously)?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Went to Eastmans yesterday and tried on their new light weight Irvin type flight jacket..marvellous..not going there though as my D-1 does the same job. Looking for an N-3B for standing still in our coldest weather.
Man, I’d love to go there. Trial and error is expensive.

powersci

One of the Regulars

Any inputs?

That first pic of the jacket unzipped is the best look. I think because of it being unzipped, the sleeve length looks better. I agree with your initial reaction that the sleeves are too short. I prefer the sleeve to hit closer to my thumb than my wrist, which is why the unzipped pic, in my opinion, is the stand-out best.

You definitely have a hard decision on your hands! If it were me I’d probably return/exchange to find something that isn’t causing me any doubt. I’m an Aero Leather guy and one of the advantages is having the jacket made-to-measure. I love Eastman jackets, too! But don’t have enough experience with them.

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
Looks like a nice trim fit. How is the mobility? Can you drive a car or drink a beer in it (probably best not to try simultaneously)?

Mobility is not the best! There is discomfort in the arms (albues and upper arms). With just a tshirt its fine, but i live in Norway with temperatures like -20 to -30c so i need to layer during winter.

However i shoud be able to drive and drinking beer! Its just when i lift my arms high like to put on a beanie or speak in the phone!

I dont know how much it will loosen up! Even tough im not planning to gain weight, i may be a bit bigger during the years as well (who knows with age :p) and i want this to last me years!

OhyeahitsJorn

New in Town
That first pic of the jacket unzipped is the best look. I think because of it being unzipped, the sleeve length looks better. I agree with your initial reaction that the sleeves are too short. I prefer the sleeve to hit closer to my thumb than my wrist, which is why the unzipped pic, in my opinion, is the stand-out best.

You definitely have a hard decision on your hands! If it were me I’d probably return/exchange to find something that isn’t causing me any doubt. I’m an Aero Leather guy and one of the advantages is having the jacket made-to-measure. I love Eastman jackets, too! But don’t have enough experience with them.

Thanks for nice reply. Appreciate it!

Im thinking of getting size 42. Hopefully that size gives me way better mobility and able to layer! And not ruin my arms when the phone rings :p

And that should be slightly longer in the arms as well?

Just worried it will be to bulky around the waist!

Not easy :p

MrProper

Why not buy a Shearling according to your own measurements? Especially with non-standard body measurements, this offers itself.

Solstice 62

New in Town
I picked up an Aviation Leathercraft B3 a few months ago, which converted me to this style of jacket, particularly liked walking on the beach in a howling gale, feeling toastie in just a T shirt and jacket.
of course one jacket is never enough :).
I came across an ELC cal 50 B3, almost unworn for sale on marketplace, unfortunately it was a 4 hour drive away so no chance to try it for size, I gambled and won (I think), the only downsize, it’s a little short, no issue for wearing it casually, but a bit chilly around the midriff on the beach. (Sorry for the cheesy smile the photo was for my cousin who collected the jacket and posted it to me).
14D45204-041F-4946-8D79-90EDA76DA386.jpeg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Mobility is not the best! There is discomfort in the arms (albues and upper arms). With just a tshirt its fine, but i live in Norway with temperatures like -20 to -30c so i need to layer during winter.

However i shoud be able to drive and drinking beer! Its just when i lift my arms high like to put on a beanie or speak in the phone!

I dont know how much it will loosen up! Even tough im not planning to gain weight, i may be a bit bigger during the years as well (who knows with age :p) and i want this to last me years!
A jacket that is uncomfortable will sit in the closet.

bn1966

Had a try on of B-3’s at Eastmans and found the 50 cal gave a nice range of movement & didn’t feel stiff on.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
If a brand new B-3 Jacket feels a bit restrictive in terms of movement and mobility remember: You have to BREAK THE JACKET IN!!! The air crew Found that their clothing took several months to break in and then it would fit comfortably. Just something to keep in mind.

Ulysse

New in Town
If I could only wear a B-3 for 3 months of the year I’d go 5*, if I could wear one 6 months of the year I’d have an Eastmans (and request a Long). As it is in the south of the UK I might get away with a B-3 for a couple of weeks so I purchased a D-1 (ELC).
hi coul show me in private what your eastman D looks like? thanks!

CBI

One Too Many
My Five Star B-3 - love it, best deal ever and no break in time needed. I have posted this pic before - sorry for the duplication................
IMG_6628.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner