Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Above or Below One's Hat Size: What's Re-doable?

job

One Too Many
I bought a used western hat so dirty that spray cleaner could not clean it enough. I tried dunking it in oxyclean. The hat was cleaned but as soon as I dunked the hat the sweatband shrank and crinkled like the witches feet on The wizard of oz. I had to put it on a stretcher fast. Later after some drying I wore it some and it conformed to my head like no other hat. I don't think I will ever dunk a hat again but I can see steaming the underside of a hat and wearing it to see if it conforms.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I was thinking of purchasing a new hat, a Christy's trilby.

Anyways, I do like my hat a little loose, maybe 1 finger to fit near my ear. I have a fur felt 7 1/8 inch which seems to be shrinking now. Think I should order a size up to a 7 1/4 knowing that it will shrink a little over a few years? How much shrinkage happens (a whole size?) and is there a limited amount that it shrinks?

TipTop

Practically Family

Anyways, I do like my hat a little loose, maybe 1 finger to fit near my ear. I have a fur felt 7 1/8 inch which seems to be shrinking now. Think I should order a size up to a 7 1/4 knowing that it will shrink a little over a few years? How much shrinkage happens (a whole size?) and is there a limited amount that it shrinks?

Hi, I'd say it all depends on how much you will perspire in it and whether you use a stretcher or not. Seeing your SC address, I'd say if you are in the low country, or even around Columbia in the summer, you're going to get it wet. Up in the piedmont, not so much!

Seriously, the hat will conform to you head after a few wearings. Then, If you want more room, buy a stretcher; they are less than $30 and are important for hats worn or perspired in a lot. I am a long oval, and rely on them to keep the length.

In the end, I'd stick with your measured size as a starting point; all hats (even same brand) are different, and rely on steam and or a stretcher to fine-tune it

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I bought a used western hat so dirty that spray cleaner could not clean it enough. I tried dunking it in oxyclean. The hat was cleaned but as soon as I dunked the hat the sweatband shrank and crinkled like the witches feet on The wizard of oz. I had to put it on a stretcher fast. Later after some drying I wore it some and it conformed to my head like no other hat. I don't think I will ever dunk a hat again but I can see steaming the underside of a hat and wearing it to see if it conforms.

Yeah, dunking hats is best done sans the sweat band. That means either folding it out of the hat and being very careful, or removing it completely. Water is not good for many leathers, and I would assume thinner leathers are more susceptible to damage than thicker ones. Stuff like Oxi-clean can only make it worse.

I get my hats to conform to my head by wearing and sweating in them. It takes a bit longer, but it works fine and doesn't damage the sweat band.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

A lot of it depends on the hat, and specifically, the sweat band itself. Different types and qualities of leather will shrink at different rates under different conditions. I have a fairly new hat, in my size, that may never shrink down to fit me properly because of the very high quality of the sweat band, whereas other hats shrunk down fairly nicely.

I would order true to size, especially if you are slightly undersized (between sizes), or the hat is a brand known to run small.

Last edited:

new2hats

A-List Customer
Tiptop- Sounds like you know the state of SC well! Thanks for your input, will order the normal size.

Last edited:

new2hats

A-List Customer
Thanks scotty. I think Christy's is a decent hat, never had a real fur felt hat, besides the one I bought last Fall. The one I have I believe is a Mayser knock off, in Loden/dark green. It's a great hat, and fits nicely. Am looking for my first quality hat with a good price and the Christy's Trilby should fit the bill. I think their leather sweatband should be fine. Thanks, will order true to size and see what happens!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If the hat is indeed slightly big when you get it, the sweat band can be padded underneath with sizing tape, or folded paper towel. I don't like newspaper for this because when you sweat in the hat, the ink can leave marks on what it's touching, most notably the liner.

TipTop

Practically Family
Tiptop- Sounds like you know the state of SC well! Thanks for your input, will order the normal size.
Mother's ancestral home is in Chester; I attended USC for two years, and parents first retired to Hilton Head, friends around Aiken. And, coincidentally, my newest hat a Dorer pure beaver came from a guy in a new one on me: Boiling Springs!

And where are you among the palmettos?

new2hats

A-List Customer
Mother's ancestral home is in Chester; I attended USC for two years, and parents first retired to Hilton Head, friends around Aiken. And, coincidentally, my newest hat a Dorer pure beaver came from a guy in a new one on me: Boiling Springs!

And where are you among the palmettos?

You've been all around SC! I am in the Irmo area (wife from here), have been here for nearly 6 years. Never heard of boiling springs, but they do have some interestingly named towns around here- like North, SC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points