Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an A-2: help needed

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
HoosierDaddy said:
...it is the rusty/red spun silk lining once offered by Aero. However..it is not a satiny "silk"as one might imagine. It does slip on and off easier than the cotton lining(otherwise..less cling)...seems more tightly woven with slighty more slickness to it than the regular cotton. This material does seem to be more durable.
After five years...there is no wear on the lining of this A2. It's my understanding that it has been discountinued as an extra cost option from Aero. Why?...I have no idea. It is a very nice lining.
HD
The spun (nonshiny) silks were never "ace" red authentically. They were the standard lining colors of tobacco-to-mustard-to-tan. The Air Corps discontinued them because spun silk was too hard to source, and that was back in the late '30s. One assumes the same is true today - probably more true.

Peacoat

Bartender
Aero makes a fine jacket. My limited experience has been that they are tightly fitted. So, if you are going to wear a heavy sweater under it, you might want to go up a size.

Mark Moye, the US rep is very helpful and knowledgeable. and can answer your fitting questions over the phone, whereas Amanda--in Scotland--can not. His email address is aeroleatherusa@aol.com Good luck with your hunt.

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
Bison...

scotrace said:
It's great to finally get a look at a jacket made from the Bison hide. Thanks for showing that one off.

I'm pretty sure it's not bison but water buffalo. I have few of these and they are heavier than the typical A-2 horsehide. I don't have an A-2 though, mine are a Highwayman and CHP jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I would echo what Peacoat has to say about Mark Moye, who is absolutely the very best!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy