Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying first Panama

Neil

A-List Customer
I have done a straight comparison between a $650 PB hat and a $650 from Optimo in Chicago.
The Optimo is a beautifully even, nicely blocked hat. Compared to the PB "Alafino," though, it is almost coarse. The PB was tight, event, lightweight and very fine. My guess is Optimo would have charged at least $1500 for something with the same wpsi, or more.
Again: Optimo makes a lovely Montecristi. And if you have pots of money, by all means go for it. You will be delighted. But for the money, nothing, but nothing, beats PB.
One other thing: Montecristi hats look cool, but they are head ovens in hot weather. Go for a high-wpsi-count semicalado. I guarantee you will be happier.
My Optimo and PB high-end hats sit on racks most of the time, awaiting a special occasion. I wear the semicalado on a daily basis.

I made the plunge!! Went for the Pearl Caballero. This will be a nice fit with my recent Seersucker Suit purchase from JAB.

Jeff,

This'll knock um dead on the streets of Portland come May 30th!!

Steve W

My Panama Robert purchase arrived today, well boxed and I couldn't be more pleased. Very happyand this was just one of the discount models (oh for a few hundred in disposable income to buy "up")

Thanks to Robert himself and the members for advice/Commentary!

This and a pair of Linen pants and my gidfiddle on the front porch this summer will make me happy as a clam.

jimmierodgers_fixed.jpg

Last edited:

EggHead

Practically Family
Monbla, What do you mean blocked and finished at Gus M?

I bought one from PB and it was already blocked and finished. What more is there aside from adding those nice "vent holes?

Thanks,
EG

Panama Bob is THE one to go to. In your price range you can get a Cuarto Fino grade Montecristi from Bob which he can send to Gus Miller @ Batsakes Hats to be blocked and finished for $179.00 & shipping. You'd pay nearly 3 times that from BB or Optimo. Here's my Medio Fino Montecristi I got from him last year and Gus blocked and finished it. It is blocked in the Rio Plata style and is around 530wpi and has a 2 7/8" brim.

P8220019.jpg

Bob is THE WAY to go. :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Bob sells most of his hats with some finishing options, especially the Montecristi's. This one was bought with the option of sending it to an American hatter to be creased in the style he shows and have their sweatband and a choice of hatband. You find this option in the drop down menu under the type of Panama you are buying and the price is shown in that menu that comes up for that choice. Under Montecristi he has a choice of "blocked in USA" and I went to the Medio Fino grade and then picked out my crease. When I e-mailed him about it, ( I wanted the Rio Plata style crease) He said he could send it to Gus @ Batsakes and he could do the Rio Plata crease and I picked out a dark blue pug for it and he sent the hat to Gus to be finished . He get's hats in an un-blocked state just for this service. He can send one to most any one you want. You need to discuss all with him prior to shipping. The Montecristi's blocked by the Ortega family in Ecuador are some very nice hats as well and they ship a little faster as he has most of those in stock and can ship direct to you. You pay a bit more for the US blocked/finished hats but they are still less than those from Optimo or BB. :)

Lokar

A-List Customer
Monbla, What do you mean blocked and finished at Gus M?

I bought one from PB and it was already blocked and finished. What more is there aside from adding those nice "vent holes?

Thanks,
EG

You can buy hats from Panama Bob unblocked and have the blocked by a hatter (usually a US based one) - more expensive, but a better quality block (and of course, you can specify exactly how you want it blocked).

Edit: Beat to it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy