Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Used from Aero

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I profited greatly from the knowledge to be found in the lounge.

I hope to add something by reporting about my experience with buying used from Aero Leathers.

I am 5'11'', 184 lbs, Jeans size 32'' and measure 43,3 inches around the chest and 24,5 inches shoulder width. I usually wear suits sized 42 (EU 52) that are a little wide around the shoulders. 44US/54EU is definitely too big at the waist.

I wanted an Aero jacket and I wanted it now, not in a few weeks time, so I bought this one:
hwymn-aero.jpg

It arrived four days later. It was really hardly worn, I have been breaking it in more the last few days than it was broken in from new when I got it.

The jacket fits just like I want it to. Some details where not mentioned on the Aero site though:
1. there are no storm cuffs on this one
2. the back is plain and doesn't have the yolk.

Actually, that is quite the setup I would have chosen, had I had it custom made :)

Anyway, if you consider buying used from Aero and are nitpicky about the details (I would not have liked a bi-swing back or zippered cuffs), you should probably give Aero a call/an email before ordering.

Some more photos of the jacket after a tough week that already shows:

P1000791.jpg

P1000792.jpg

P1000793.jpg

Foto51.jpg

Again thank you for your hospitality and generous sharing of knowledge.

cheers,

Daniel

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
wow!

That is beautiful! That's one of my dream jackets as well. Looks like it fits perfectly.
One small point about your measurements: 24.5 is probably impossible as a shoulder width if you find 42 jackets loose. More like 19 maybe? About 21" seems about the max unless you are A very large lifter of weights / body builder. .
I'm GREEN with envy!

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
One small point about your measurements: 24.5 is probably impossible as a shoulder width if you find 42 jackets loose. More like 19 maybe? About 21" seems about the max unless you are A very large lifter of weights / body builder. .
I'm GREEN with envy!

Excuse me, I did not make my self clear:

"I usually wear suits sized 42 (EU 52) that are a little wide around the shoulders. 44US/54EU is definitely too big at the waist."

was meant to say, that size 42 is usually too narrow at the shoulders, so I have to look for irregular cut 42 jackets that will have a 42 waist but a 44 shoulder.

better?

I am indeed very wide at the shoulders, I was swimming at competition level in my youth.

Forgot to mention: I am very happy with the jacket! Have been wearing it constantly in low 30ies, rain and snowfall around here and the jacket is just great.

cheers

Daniel

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
fLy AeRO

great looking jacket, and perfect on you...my favorite style as it is very LuftWaffian with the 1 piece back

aLso...i love the way aero closed up the chest pocket and put it on the right side for you ;)

winston

New in Town
The jackets always look so underwhelming on the mannequins, but this is a good reason why I shouldn't take much notice of that. Looks great.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
winston said:
The jackets always look so underwhelming on the mannequins, but this is a good reason why I shouldn't take much notice of that. Looks great.

Thanks and yes, i agree about the mannequin shots. That's another reason why pictures posted and here and Mark Moyes' site is so valuable to someone like me, who hadn't seen the real jacket.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Foto am 09.09.15 um 15.23 #4.jpg Foto am 09.09.15 um 15.23 #3.jpg Foto am 09.09.15 um 15.23 #2.jpg Foto am 09.09.15 um 15.23.jpg
I thought a little update might not hurt: seven years later the jacket is still going strong. The leather is now super supple everywhere and aged beautifully (i think). The sleeves are shiny from use on their lower sides. No defects have occurred anywhere neither in materials nor craftsmanship. Also the cotton twill lining is still in good shape. This is the Aero jacket that get's second most wear of the three I still have. An update of my custom cafe racer, I use a lot for motorcycling is due too.

Fonzie

One Too Many
It is the official page then, just got confused by the different layout of the photo and logo.
Strange...

Edward

Bartender
Wish today's site had 2008 prices.....

Worf

:lol: If only! I remember about 2002, first discovering Aero and ELC websites, looking at A2s.... the then lady disapproved of jackets with knits (shoulda been a sign, in retrospect... ;) ) and I didn't buy, but in those days they went for £300.... and it seemed a lot.... If only I'd known.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo