Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Cuts ?

Sonero

Practically Family
I thought it would be fun to do a Covid-19 BUZZ CUT thread. I had no choice but to take clippers to my head. During the process I found out I have thinning hair on top. Yikes ! but that explains why the center portion of my hair was dry and of bad quality hair. I am glad to get rid of it.

The adrenaline was RUSHING through me when I did this.....

This is a 3 1/2 all over.

It was either this or run the risk of looking like a run down FABIO :)

thumbnail-1.jpeg
Photo on 6-23-20 at 7.08 PM #2.jpg

galopede

One of the Regulars
I've been doing the buzz cuts with the clippers for quite a few years now. I'm bald on top and I think it looks better. Certainly better than a comb over that lifts up in the wind!

I decided to get some clippers years ago when a barber charged me £8 for five minutes with the clippers!

It's been getting shorter over the years and now I do it all over without the guard, so almost shaven.

I like it. Saves on shampoo!

Gareth

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
My barber wears a mask as did i during most of the cut. Has shower curtains to the floor between stations. No waiting inside. Make an appt and he comes to the door and waves you in. He takes your temp and asks that you use hand sanitizer. I’m guessing thats what the requirements are in these parts.

Edward

Bartender
Started with the buzzcuts when I realised I was thinning at 28. Started at a 2; four years later I was down to a 1 twice a week and it still wasn't hiding it on top, so I dropped the electric trimmer and went straight to blade. Been shaving my head completely for over fourteen years now, and my only regret is I wasted those four years trying to hide the bald with a buzzcut. Wouldn't go back to having hair now even if it was an option... in fact, knowing what I know now with my time over again, I'd have started shaving it long before I needed to. Not set foot in a barber's since, I think, early 2004.

Sonero

Practically Family
I researched the guard numbers thoroughly before choosing 3 1/2. I actually have a 3 3/4 attachment that I have not tried yet. I figure I will try that before going down to a 2 if need be. The changes in blades can be dramatic if you aren't used to them.

Agree that thinning or balding hair should be cut short. Would love for these self cuts to work out for me. I hate locating decent barbers and all the effort and luck that it takes.

I need to figure out how to do the straight line in back with more ease. I did ok but it is a very awkward stretch of your arms to reach it. I tried one of those pre made tape strips but they seem to move too much.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I used to wear my hair longer as a teenager, but over these years in my 20s, I've been keeping it shorter and shorter. I foresee permanent buzzes, and possibly even shaves ala @Edward in my future. I won't deny, shaving my head has already been a consideration.

Edward

Bartender
I need to figure out how to do the straight line in back with more ease. I did ok but it is a very awkward stretch of your arms to reach it. I tried one of those pre made tape strips but they seem to move too much.

It took me a little while to build up to doing it myself; as I recall, it was a last resort when noone else was available. Like anything, it took a little practice, and was best done at least weekly. It's actually easier shaving it with the razor; if I'm keepnig on top of it (i.e. a shave every other day), I can have it done in five minutes or less. If it gets longer (five or seven days if I'm being ridiculously lasy and not going out anywhere), it's a much long process. With the razor, you just have to remember not to lean too hard on a fresh cartridge (tried the DE, but couldn't get the angles right all round - it was....messy), and beyond that it's basically feel. These days, I'm morel ikely to cut my face than my head. Mach 3 type for over the bonce, always DE for the face.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've been buzz cutting myself since 1995. I bought a Wahl that summer, and finally replaced the blades last year. Oil them after every use and they last.

I'm currently using the #1 attachment on my head and facial hair because my curly facial hair irritates the $%^& out of me under the mask.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I am blessed to have a real barber who is also a good friend. He uses a straight razor and shaving cream around the ears, neck and will gladly trim beards, etc. He has also managed to get into a good situation as we "open" from Covid. I get mine done every 5 weeks or so, cannot eliminate all risk in life.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No.1 (long) these days due to MPB, quite liberating really..no worries.. no helmet or hat hair..just 5 minutes twice a week

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Key advice. I recommend after every substantial use, like a head or full beard. Not necessary for the maintenance trim.

Lots of partners out there learning how to do fades. Youtube is full of videos of people learning how to give their fellas fades.

Yes, head, facial, and, um, other areas is what I was talking about, so thanks for the clarification.

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
No buzz for me. Just can't do it. Going to let my hair grow until this covid is over. I am however trimming the beard every few weeks. I'm probably a few weeks away from a pony tail.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm a minimalist. I disliked the maintenance and feeling of hair and using product, so I started my no 3 buzz in the mid 1990's and only grew my hair back briefly three years ago, only to discover there wasn't much left. Back to number 3 and no 2 on the sides. I quite like the look of head stubble and don't like the look of a shaved head.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a minimalist. I disliked the maintenance and feeling of hair and using product, so I started my no 3 buzz in the mid 1990's and only grew my hair back briefly three years ago, only to discover there wasn't much left. Back to number 3 and no 2 on the sides. I quite like the look of head stubble and don't like the look of a shaved head.

Same as Seb,

I've gone to fine stubble but never 'clean shaven'.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB