Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Cuts ?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is me pre buzz cut

A different look for sure. Even between a 2 and 3 is a big difference. I recommend starting with a 4 and working your way down....slowly.

unfortunately for me I’m a 1 now, was a 2 a while back but needed to get the sides and the back to match the diminishing returns of the top part.

Sonero

Practically Family
unfortunately for me I’m a 1 now, was a 2 a while back but needed to get the sides and the back to match the diminishing returns of the top part.

Here is my scalp showing on top . This is why I think I need to try a 2 at some point or I need to do scissor over comb on top. Still deciding. I really like this look but the thinning is concerning.

Thoughts ?

Photo on 7-9-20 at 1.21 PM #2.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I remember when I was growing up, my Dad and I would shave our heads at the beginning of summer. We called 'em baldy sours. We live on a pretty wooded lot and summer time often involved, and still does, a lot of cutting dead branches, and ticks were always a concern. I used to come out of every trimming session so scrapped up, I sometimes wonder why the counselors at summer camp never called DCFS. Maybe it's just because they knew what kind of wild child I was.

VzCeJBT.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Here is my scalp showing on top . This is why I think I need to try a 2 at some point or I need to do scissor over comb on top. Still deciding. I really like this look but the thinning is concerning.

Thoughts ?

View attachment 246349

Sonero I don't know if your hair is thinning. It looks like fine hair which can look like it is thin when you buzz it. The light catches the scalp but it isn't actually falling out. The sides always look thicker because the light doesn't catch it the way it does up top. I think your hair looks great like that. You look younger too.

Sonero

Practically Family
Sonero I don't know if your hair is thinning. It looks like fine hair which can look like it is thin when you buzz it. The light catches the scalp but it isn't actually falling out. The sides always look thicker because the light doesn't catch it the way it does up top. I think your hair looks great like that. You look younger too.

Thank You so much for taking the time to respond. I have been pondering that area for two weeks now. It definitely shows more with certain lighting and it might be a little thinner than my side and back hair BUT in other angles and lighting I do not notice the scalp showing.

Maybe I just need to get used to it more ?

I'd like to try one or two more ideas before I settle into a look.

1. 3 3/4 all over. Photos are 3 1/2 So pending how this grows out.
2. 3 3/4 on the side then scissor over comb on top if I can wait long enough for growth on top. JUST enough to lay flat and comb the cowlick.
3. A number 2 all over so it can grow into what I liked about the number 3 1/2

Fun with hair :) I have been into hair doos my entire life.....

I went to barber school MANY moons ago but never got my license because it was hard to find people to practice on. Now I have myself to experiment on.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank You so much for taking the time to respond. I have been pondering that area for two weeks now. It definitely shows more with certain lighting and it might be a little thinner than my side and back hair BUT in other angles and lighting I do not notice the scalp showing.

Maybe I just need to get used to it more ?

I'd like to try one or two more ideas before I settle into a look.

1. 3 3/4 all over. Photos are 3 1/2 So pending how this grows out.
2. 3 3/4 on the side then scissor over comb on top if I can wait long enough for growth on top. JUST enough to lay flat and comb the cowlick.
3. A number 2 all over so it can grow into what I liked about the number 3 1/2

Fun with hair :) I have been into hair doos my entire life.....

I went to barber school MANY moons ago but never got my license because it was hard to find people to practice on. Now I have myself to experiment on.

Your hair looks absolutely fine, I’ve always been fascinated by hairstyles and had a few until the top fell off which has put paid to all of that.
One viable style now or look ridiculous :)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've been trimming my head down to the scalp for a long time. I find it looks more odd in a longer phase, so contrary to maybe intuition, go closer rather than a bigger gap attachment.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I cut mine every week, back to a no 3 and 2 on the sides. Takes around 7 minutes. If your hair is thin, you have to do this regularly. If I let it get even 5 mm longer, the top of my head looks like the straggly fuzz of a tennis ball that's been hit too often, for too long.

Sonero

Practically Family
I cut mine every week, back to a no 3 and 2 on the sides. Takes around 7 minutes. If your hair is thin, you have to do this regularly. If I let it get even 5 mm longer, the top of my head looks like the straggly fuzz of a tennis ball that's been hit too often, for too long.

When you do this do you find just those two blades blend the hair sufficiently ? I have watched videos where they make you dizzy opening and closing the fade lever on the clipper so many times. I totally loose track.

What I want to do is grow my top hair just enough so I can comb it forward and clip the sides up high and tight. Do you think I would be able to use just a 3 3/4 guard on the sides and scissors on top ? This would be a self cut obviously.

Sonero

Practically Family
My goodness, you've got great hair. If it was mine I'd grow it back and leave it at that length.
Thanks.

I would have but not during Covid. The whole premise of doing the buzzcut was to be self sufficient. Kind of like growing your own food....but hair. Besides Covid I would love to not need a barber in the future. That would simplify things greatly.

Alec Leamas

New in Town
Started with the buzzcuts when I realised I was thinning at 28. Started at a 2; four years later I was down to a 1 twice a week and it still wasn't hiding it on top, so I dropped the electric trimmer and went straight to blade. Been shaving my head completely for over fourteen years now, and my only regret is I wasted those four years trying to hide the bald with a buzzcut. Wouldn't go back to having hair now even if it was an option... in fact, knowing what I know now with my time over again, I'd have started shaving it long before I needed to. Not set foot in a barber's since, I think, early 2004.

Similar story for me, after having long hair and dare I say it dreadlocks in my teens, started to thin out and go bald around 20..having seen my uncle with a daft looking monk-like bald on top and hair round the sides do I swore to myself I’d never do it. Took the plunge and have been happily wet shaving my head at least weekly for the past 10 years..this will continue for the rest of my life. I do think though, if I did have a full head of hair I would max out it’s potential and have some sort of high maintenance smart fade.

I’ve more than made up for having no hair on my head by the rate my facial hair grows. More a nuisance than anything else! Haha

Thanks.

I would have but not during Covid. The whole premise of doing the buzzcut was to be self sufficient. Kind of like growing your own food....but hair. Besides Covid I would love to not need a barber in the future. That would simplify things greatly.

Sonero that shot of the haircut before the buzz cut looked great, I would be proud of a head of hair like that! I also think going from that to buzzed is quite the leap, I’m sure you’ll get used to it!

CatsCan

Practically Family
There are only two hairstyles for men in this world. Long hair or no hair. I have mine at elbow length. Have long hair since I was 15. I promise: the same day I discover any hair loss, I will shave my head. And the day after I will go hat shopping.

Sonero

Practically Family
20200423_142743.jpg
Sonero that shot of the haircut before the buzz cut looked great, I would be proud of a head of hair like that! I also think going from that to buzzed is quite the leap, I’m sure you’ll get used to it!

Thank You Sir. The problem was the back crown area is thinning . You don't see that in front.
Since then I have learned something about buzzcuts. There are SEVERAL variations. I now instead do a #5 (5/8) on top with a faint part and a 4 (1/2") on the sides. I like it much better.
20210422_180459 2.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
There are only two hairstyles for men in this world. Long hair or no hair. I have mine at elbow length. Have long hair since I was 15. I promise: the same day I discover any hair loss, I will shave my head. And the day after I will go hat shopping.

Not a fan of the Edge look circa Joshua Tree?

Edge in that era with hat:

77ce1b5b07c79ace0630bed7dfb0bc95.jpg

...and without:

richard-obrien-as-riff-raff-in-rocky-horror-picture-show.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points