Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson sizing

Slimpikins

New in Town
I ordered in a great looking Buzz Rickson olive Chambray work shirt which is a reproduction of a 1940's work shirt. I ordered the largest size they make which is a 44 XXL with an 18 inch neck size as it is 100 percent cotton and I assume there would be shrinkage.
I usually wear a men's L or XL in USA size and my neck is around 16.5. I was expecting this to be a nice roomy fit for me. However when I received the shirt, it fit like a ML to L size and was very short in the tails; I definitely would not be able to tuck this shirt in as the tails would pull out. The fit was like this right out of the bag, new; I didn't dare wash it! I am sending the shirt back to them (with a loss of around $30 in shipping unfortunately).
My question here is do Buzz Rickson clothing items run small? I mean really small? Or perhaps there was a mislabeling from the producer?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seller usually provides measurement, if not it can easily be found on Rakuten.

If it is the N-3 utility shirt, the measurement provided by one UK seller is

Chest Length Shoulder Sleeve
38 21.5" 28.5" 24.25" 30.5"
40 23" 29.25" 24.5" 30.75"
42 24" 31" 25.5" 32.5"
44 24.5" 31.5" 26.5" 33.75"

Another seller on Rakuten lists this

Length Chest Shoulder Width
17(XL) 77cm 62cm 52cm 64cm
18(XXL) 80cm 65cm 55cm 66cm

Slimpikins

New in Town
Its too late for me to take measurements of the shirt; it's packaged for return. I was just trying to find out if the Buzz Rickson items run small even if they are labeled XXL, which is the largest size they offer.

Blackadder

Its too late for me to take measurements of the shirt; it's packaged for return. I was just trying to find out if the Buzz Rickson items run small even if they are labeled XXL, which is the largest size they offer.
Well the measurement would also give you an idea how "small" it is compared to your other US sized shirts.

Sonero

Practically Family
I recently purchased the N1 deck jacket and a work shirt going by their size chart. The items fit but yes they run FITTED/TAILORED is the word I would use.

I was super unimpressed with the quality of the work shirt. The N1 deck jacket has high armholes for a more tailored look...common in the EU I am told ?

Zeltbahn

One of the Regulars
I have two Buzz Rickson's USN chambray shirts and woolen CPO shirt. I think they run true to size, I'm true 15½ neck and 40 chest and wear those sizes in BR shirts/jackets. But the chambray shirt sleeves and hem are quite short.
I haven't noticed any shrinkage after washing the cotton shirts.

I'm planning to get their N-3 shirt too very soon which measurements seem a bit bigger than the chambrays I have.

Sonero

Practically Family
I have two Buzz Rickson's USN chambray shirts and woolen CPO shirt. I think they run true to size, I'm true 15½ neck and 40 chest and wear those sizes in BR shirts/jackets. But the chambray shirt sleeves and hem are quite short.
I haven't noticed any shrinkage after washing the cotton shirts.

I'm planning to get their N-3 shirt too very soon which measurements seem a bit bigger than the chambrays I have.

I was looking at their chambray shirts. How does the thickness of the material feel to you ?

Zeltbahn

One of the Regulars
I was looking at their chambray shirts. How does the thickness of the material feel to you ?

Hard to compare to something else since I haven't really owned chambrays made by other brands. I have the blue and white BR chambrays, I'd say the material is not particularly thick but not thin either (white shirt still hides your nipples if you wear it next to skin).
If you are very tall, the fit can be a bit problematic. I have long arms so the sleeves are quite short but they can be stretched a little bit.

I once saw a comparison between real 40's USN blue chambray and BR USN chambray and to me the BR repro looks very accurate in details (collar shape, stitching, buttons) and cut.

Zeltbahn

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased the N1 deck jacket and a work shirt going by their size chart. The items fit but yes they run FITTED/TAILORED is the word I would use.

I was super unimpressed with the quality of the work shirt. The N1 deck jacket has high armholes for a more tailored look...common in the EU I am told ?

Which N-1 deck jacket did you got? The grey lined or the more expensive with brown coloured lining, demodex? I've heard that the latter one (brown demodex lining) is very accurate repro and the former one (grey lining) is a bit slimmer and with a thinner lining and different kind of sizing.

Sonero

Practically Family
Which N-1 deck jacket did you got? The grey lined or the more expensive with brown coloured lining, demodex? I've heard that the latter one (brown demodex lining) is very accurate repro and the former one (grey lining) is a bit slimmer and with a thinner lining and different kind of sizing.

I have the Demodex version. The other version resembled the Pike Brothers version too much at a higher cost. I do really like my jacket minus one complaint. The Alpaca wool used is much lighter in color than the cognac brown in the pictures. The wool on my jacket looks pale and the wool is delicate which irks me. I can definitely see the collar getting rugged looking after a year of wear or even after a dry cleaning. No inside pocket either. Otherwise the jacket is super thick and fits great. The only other option I would recommend is the Ironheart version. They both run the same price.

breezer

Practically Family
I tried a demotex BR N1 is size L and found it way too roomy for my 40" chest......the arms were baggy, which maybe authentic, but I prefer the more tailored look of the RMC versions.

From what I can tell, the Japanese workwear brands cut their shirts real short.....

El Marro

I have two Buzz Rickson jackets, an MA-1 and an L-2A, both are size 44. I found the sizing to be pretty consistent with American sizing on these two jackets. For reference most of my leather jackets are size 44 and in the trimmer styles, such as motorcycle jackets, I wear a 46.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I have two Buzz Rickson jackets, an MA-1 and an L-2A, both are size 44. I found the sizing to be pretty consistent with American sizing on these two jackets. For reference most of my leather jackets are size 44 and in the trimmer styles, such as motorcycle jackets, I wear a 46.

Sounds like my experince. I typically wear a size 44. Owned Identical Buzz jackets the 42=44, the 44=46. My 44 A2 is Perfect. I think their sizing is as close as most. I certainly look for a size 44 in their outerwear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot