Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson's USAF L-2 Flying Jacket, American Pad & Textile Co.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here’s Buzz Rickson’s American Pad & Textile Co. L-2 Flying Jacket.

So as to help put the L-2 now following into some sort of fit perspective, it’s a size 38. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 33" shirt sleeve, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

About 70% of our customs will order a size down in the "L" jackets from their measured chest size (chest measures 42", they order size 40), and sizing down is more marked for those who have chest measures of 42" or less and who are not stout in build.

This L-2 is a delight to wear; it has a favorable warmth-to-weight ratio and represents an easier-wearing alternative to leather jackets while offering superior warmth and water repellence than any A-2 or similar jacket style. Any of the "L" series of jackets are my favorite styles for spring and early fall. I'll never forget how, as an A-2 jacket diehard, I quickly fell in love with an "L" jacket the first time I wore it on a cool spring day that turned into a cooler evening after being out and about. The blended lining fabric in these jackets simply provides what the A-2 cannot.

We have sizes 38-44 in stock. The current price for the L-2 is $355.00. All prices always include U. S. customs duty, 
import processing fees, currency-conversion fees and expedited shipping & insurance from the manufacturer to us in the USA.

All re-stocks on this jacket for fall will have a manufacturer-imposed price increase, so if we have your size and item choice in stock prior to receiving the F/W 2015 replenishment, ordering before the replenishment stock arrives will yield you the benefit of the current price that is less costly than what will be available in the fall.

All items that we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website:

https://www.historypreservation.com...af/buzz-ricksons-usaf-type-l-2-flying-jacket/

_DSC0004cropadj.jpg _DSC0002wo.jpg _DSC0002wo.jpg

Cocker

Practically Family
What a beautiful jacket! The L-2 is my all time favourite nylon jacket.

Can you tell me what's the sleeve length on a 44 jacket?

Cocker

Practically Family
This looks like a good one, but I'm puzzled what are the differences between the Buzz L2 and L2B?

The L2 is the early version, late 40's specs, with olive drab shell and lining, leather oxygen mask tab, brown leather pull tabs, OD knits and so on. The L2B is the latest one, with sage green shell and lining, nylon tab, black leather pull tabs, sage/OD knits, according to the later specifications, and was used from the mid/late stage of the Korean war through the Vietnam war, and later, going through several versions. So basically, a few details change, the main difference being the color of the jacket/lining.

HPA Rep

Vendor
The L2 is the early version, late 40's specs, with olive drab shell and lining, leather oxygen mask tab, brown leather pull tabs, OD knits and so on. The L2B is the latest one, with sage green shell and lining, nylon tab, black leather pull tabs, sage/OD knits, according to the later specifications, and was used from the mid/late stage of the Korean war through the Vietnam war, and later, going through several versions. So basically, a few details change, the main difference being the color of the jacket/lining.

Correct, that covers the obvious differences, and certainly the later L-2B jackets had, as you stated, the orange linings. But the L-2 also differs from the L-2B in having a lining that is 65% nylon/35% wool vs. the L-2B with its lining being 65% rayon/35% wool, and also the outer nylon shell on the L-2 is 3/1 heavy nylon twill vs. the L-2B's nylon shell of 2/2 heavy nylon twill. The nylon twill differences are hard to see with the naked eye but they are noticeable under magnification. 2/2 nylon twill is supposed to be stronger, but this applies to government testing under conditions most of us will never experience, though if you want a tougher nylon shell, the L-2B and earlier MA-1s would provide just that.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
^ the higher wool content in the liner is very attractive to me... thanks for clarifying

My sincerest apologies for mistyping the lining content on the L-2. The L-2 has the same 35% wool as the L-2B, but the L-2 lining is blended with 65% nylon. So the nylon of the L-2 was replaced with rayon on the L-2B. Both are equal in insulation from my own experience in wearing the jackets.

HPA Rep

Vendor
27 inches in the sleeves... Might be a tad short for me, crap!

But what is your overall shirt-sleeve measure? That's the number that counts and not arm/sleeve length. This is a very common misunderstanding, whereby people focus only on the arm/sleeve measure and not the overall shirt-sleeve measure. You say 27" is too short, so what if the jacket had a shoulder width of 25", thus providing a 39.5" shirt-sleeve measure? You need the overall shirt-sleeve measure and not exclusively the arm/sleeve measure.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ well stated... I've got lots of jackets and most have different sleeve measures, but they almost all fit me the same in terms of length

HPA Rep

Vendor
Indeed, that's a good tip. I'll have to check on my shirt's sleeve length!

We see this issue with jackets and shirts all of the time, which really puzzles me when you consider that men's dress shirts are sized by the overall shirt sleeve and the neck size, yet many customers think only in terms of the length of the sleeve itself from shoulder to cuff and never ponder the sum of the shoulder's half width and the arm length.

Please let us know how this turns out.

TacAirlift

New in Town

So as to help put the L-2 now following into some sort of fit perspective, it’s a size 38. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 33" shirt sleeve, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

About 70% of our customs will order a size down in the "L" jackets from their measured chest size (chest measures 42", they order size 40), and sizing down is more marked for those who have chest measures of 42" or less and who are not stout in build.

This L-2 is a delight to wear; it has a favorable warmth-to-weight ratio and represents an easier-wearing alternative to leather jackets while offering superior warmth and water repellence than any A-2 or similar jacket style. Any of the "L" series of jackets are my favorite styles for spring and early fall. I'll never forget how, as an A-2 jacket diehard, I quickly fell in love with an "L" jacket the first time I wore it on a cool spring day that turned into a cooler evening after being out and about. The blended lining fabric in these jackets simply provides what the A-2 cannot.

We have sizes 38-44 in stock. The current price for the L-2 is $355.00. All prices always include U. S. customs duty, 
import processing fees, currency-conversion fees and expedited shipping & insurance from the manufacturer to us in the USA.

All re-stocks on this jacket for fall will have a manufacturer-imposed price increase, so if we have your size and item choice in stock prior to receiving the F/W 2015 replenishment, ordering before the replenishment stock arrives will yield you the benefit of the current price that is less costly than what will be available in the fall.

All items that we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website:

https://www.historypreservation.com...af/buzz-ricksons-usaf-type-l-2-flying-jacket/

View attachment 28152 View attachment 28153 View attachment 28154

View attachment 28152 View attachment 28153 View attachment 28154

TacAirlift

New in Town
Charles,

I have a question regarding the dimensions on a size 40 BR L2. The HPA sizing guide indicates the following:

Pit to Pit 24".
Shoulder 20".
Sleeve 26".
Back 25".

I was looking at a listing on ebay for a new L2 w/tags size 40. I asked the seller to provide the dimensions of the L2. The response is as follows:

Pit to Pit 24".
Shoulder 19.5".
Sleeve 24.5".
Back 23.5".

Have you run into this dimension discrepancy with the BR L2's?

Your response is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Andy

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles,

I have a question regarding the dimensions on a size 40 BR L2. The HPA sizing guide indicates the following:

Pit to Pit 24".
Shoulder 20".
Sleeve 26".
Back 25".

I was looking at a listing on ebay for a new L2 w/tags size 40. I asked the seller to provide the dimensions of the L2. The response is as follows:

Pit to Pit 24".
Shoulder 19.5".
Sleeve 24.5".
Back 23.5".

Have you run into this dimension discrepancy with the BR L2's?

Your response is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Andy

The discrepancy could be the error of the measurer or it's the jacket being a bit off, or both. I rarely find others coming up with the same measures I do; the measures of others are, quite commonly, shorter and less wide. It would be a rare jacket to be off by 1.5", but it could be true, though very, very unlikely, from my experience.

This is a gamble you'll have to get in hand to know for sure.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Got my jacket from BR in Japan approx 6 months ago, same 40" size from Charles.
I 1000% confirm Charles's measurings.

TacAirlift

New in Town
Thanks to Charles and Cooper A-2 for the prompt and helpful reply. I explained to the seller what the HPA size guide indicated but he is telling me otherwise. As Charles indicated the possibility of the measurements being 1.5" off are pretty rare. The seller's measuring technique has to be in error. I will have to see if the seller is willing to cover shipping both ways if in fact I decide to move forward with the purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails