Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe Racer Collar Dilemma

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Looking for the perfect cafe Racer. Biggest issue is my collar struggle. I like the the more mandarinish (if thats a word) style that I see in the LW and even the Schott 141 and 644hh. Also not a fan of the Bi swing back versus straight back.
Any makers I am missing or styles that solve my riddle with with a quality product. In a perfect world if Schott was good their style attracts me the most...the HH is just not good enough. Aero is my dream but that short, shirt style collar bugs me. I asked Stuart at LW if he could make the straight or plain back and he said no. Argh..I just want a jacket.
Any one wanting to post pics of the cafe Racers too would be fun.
Thanks,
Dave O.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I know that John at Goodwear is not taking new orders, but his cafe racer is very nice. Also, I'm sure that he would be willing to work with you on the collar. Also Insurection is coming out with their J100 repro, so maybe give them a call.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
3694d5e6d4d1ea4b_9924d48623eea959_S1760-STANDCOLLAR-800.jpg

Aero

EasyRyder-3.jpg

Lost Worlds

Are these the two collar styles?

collar.jpg

...and the Good Wear - which appears to be similar to Aero and probably a more vintage style.

Last edited:

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
I don't have a solution but I have the same opinion. In a perfect world, I'd like a plain back Aero Cafe Racer with a Schott / LW type collar. It may be worth discussing it with Aero. They may be able to do a custom job. Please post the result if you go that route.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I am almost positive that if you could explain what you want well enough, Aero would modify the collar for you. I have acafe racer on order now that I went the opposite direction with - I had them put a highwayman style collar on it.

They will also make a cafe racer witha plain back - there are a few members here who have had that done. They also have a less obtrusive action-back that you can order - it's the "highwayman style" action back.

Hope this helps - Jim

dortiz

One of the Regulars
You guys totally understand! The photos show exact differences in the collars I like.
Sounds like Aero may save they day. Plus its what I really wanted.
For custom changes who is the best to order through?
Aero UK (Amanda?), Aero USA (Mark) or Insurrection?

Thanks for the help so far. I feel back on track. Jacket fatigue can take you down : )

mrc

Familiar Face
You guys totally understand! The photos show exact differences in the collars I like.
Sounds like Aero may save they day. Plus its what I really wanted.
For custom changes who is the best to order through?
Aero UK (Amanda?), Aero USA (Mark) or Insurrection?

Thanks for the help so far. I feel back on track. Jacket fatigue can take you down : )

IMHO, go with Insurrection. Wade and Will (Will at Aero) really connect. Wade also has a ton of knowledge about a wide variety of cafe' racer collars and cafe' racers in general. With Wade you'll want to talk about hardware, different back styles, sizing, HH facing, *collar style,* body / arm length, liner options, etc. I think you'll be very happy!

mrc

Familiar Face
Dang nabbit I need to learn to be more patient... I emailed Mark already. Well, lets see what happens.

Insurrection might already have what you want in stock too. I bought my Aero racer there off-the-rack and I wouldn't have changed one thing about it had I gone custom. I'm glad I didn't have the wait time, yet I can definitely see why people wait for these jackets, given their extraordinary quality.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I own an Aero Cafe Racer with a plain back and a longer collar strap with two buttons on it. So I can confirm that they will make other variations for you. Btw. the LW version seems to busy for my liking.

mrc

Familiar Face
Any chance you have a photo? : )

I got one last week and still am trying to get my girlfriend to snap some good photos of me in it. I simply love it!

Yet, here are some photos from Insurrection's website.

5963315.jpg

6565609.jpg

6134926.jpg

7933385.jpg

58387_1621560099786_1259942369_1649444_2414887_a.jpg

dortiz

One of the Regulars
First of all congrats on a great coat.
At the same time you are not on the same page as this thread. I know that's fantastic but its not what I want and what we are discussing.
Looking for pics of the plain back and searching for that with a different collar. In no way am I taking away from your coat, its money. Just want something different

mrc

Familiar Face
First of all congrats on a great coat.
At the same time you are not on the same page as this thread. I know that's fantastic but its not what I want and what we are discussing.
Looking for pics of the plain back and searching for that with a different collar. In no way am I taking away from your coat, its money. Just want something different

I just went back to see what you were looking for...not just a mandarin collar! Call John Chapman at Good Wear for one of his Buco replicas or call Insurrection for one of theirs. Each can put any type of collar on that you'd like.

Last edited:

dortiz

One of the Regulars
I just went back to see what you were looking for...not just a mandarin collar! Call John Chapman at Good Wear for one of his Buco replicas or call Insurrection for one of theirs. Each can put any type of collar on that you'd like.

Thanks, by the way any chance you saw a plain back when you were in the store?

Faster

New in Town
Thanks, by the way any chance you saw a plain back when you were in the store?

They have a lot for sure. And if they're all sold out, you can custom order. Yet, I don't think you'll have to. Example: all of their PLUs have plain, non-gusseted backs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran