Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe Racer fit check

JB1

Familiar Face
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Reading the threads here in the last few weeks have been really helpful.
I have this Fox Creek Leather in size 44 with a 42 on the way to compare. Im a 43 inch chest. The arms are too long which was expected as I have short arms and the shoulder seam does go past my shoulder point some. The selfie pic in the mirror is taken with a full zip fleece underneath. I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Attachments

• 20221207_173655.jpg
    20221207_173655.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8858.jpg
    IMG_8858.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8862.jpg
    IMG_8862.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8854.jpg
    IMG_8854.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_8853(1).jpg
    IMG_8853(1).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 168

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's too big for my taste. Especially the body length is too long for this style of jacket. With fleece underneath and still so wide... one to two sizes too big?

Reactions: JB1

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Reading the threads here in the last few weeks have been really helpful.
I have this Fox Creek Leather in size 44 with a 42 on the way to compare. Im a 43 inch chest. The arms are too long which was expected as I have short arms and the shoulder seam does go past my shoulder point some. The selfie pic in the mirror is taken with a full zip fleece underneath. I would appreciate any feedback you can give.

To me it is one size too large.

Edward

Bartender
It's too big for my taste. Especially the body length is too long for this style of jacket. With fleece underneath and still so wide... one to two sizes too big?

Yes, I'd go down a size myself. The length does seem a little on the long side. I don't know enough about that brand to know whether that's a compensation for modern "low-waisted" (i.e. waistband several inches south of the actual, natural waist) trousers. IME it's not unusual for this style of jacket if made with the intention of it actually seeing wear on the back of a motorcycle to be a little longer than the traditional lancer-front types. I recollect British-made motorcycle leathers getting markedly longer into the eighties, reflecting the fashion for racing bikes with a crouched over riding position. Not too long by much, though - sized down proportionately, it should look fine IMO.

Might be possible to go two sizes down, but that would depend on what will be worn underneath. For me, this particular style of jacket works best with just a thin layer underneath, but that's to personal aesthetic tastes. I'm warming to the style again after years of not having one because I don't like how they look on anything with a shirt-style collar. Now that, over the last couple of years, I have a few crew-neck t-shirts and bits for the first time in a long time, I have some things one would look good with and am tempted again....

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm warming to the style again after years of not having one because I don't like how they look on anything with a shirt-style collar.

I wouldn't say that in such general terms. Certainly not every shirt fits, but with some it looks not forbidden... I find at least. But in fact, I mostly wear the cafe racer with crew or v-neck shirts.

1670931887588.jpeg

JB1

Familiar Face
Yes, I'd go down a size myself. The length does seem a little on the long side. I don't know enough about that brand to know whether that's a compensation for modern "low-waisted" (i.e. waistband several inches south of the actual, natural waist) trousers. IME it's not unusual for this style of jacket if made with the intention of it actually seeing wear on the back of a motorcycle to be a little longer than the traditional lancer-front types. I recollect British-made motorcycle leathers getting markedly longer into the eighties, reflecting the fashion for racing bikes with a crouched over riding position. Not too long by much, though - sized down proportionately, it should look fine IMO.

Might be possible to go two sizes down, but that would depend on what will be worn underneath. For me, this particular style of jacket works best with just a thin layer underneath, but that's to personal aesthetic tastes. I'm warming to the style again after years of not having one because I don't like how they look on anything with a shirt-style collar. Now that, over the last couple of years, I have a few crew-neck t-shirts and bits for the first time in a long time, I have some things one would look good with and am tempted again....
Thank you. Very helpful

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points