Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal or Al's and Date

Biff42

One of the Regulars
Hey FL! I wanted to see if this jacket is a Cal or an Al's (or something else) and possibly what decade it might be from. I purchased it off of eBay a few weeks ago and it's a middleweight jacket that has some cool graining. Condition-wise, it's in good condition with some repairs being needed to the internal breast pocket.
20240526_092745.jpg
20240526_092757.jpg
20240526_090951.jpg
20240526_090936.jpg
20240526_090858.jpg
20240526_090847.jpg

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Teardrop pulls normally indicate 70s or 80s, but this pull is more angular, first time I see one like that. Nice jacket.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
These pull tabs on pockets are exactly the same as my heavyweight Al's jacket:
IMG_20210207_134407.jpg

When I doubt if Cal or Al, I look at the cuff area, if there is single or double stitching around the wrists: double is a Cal's feature.

However, there is another aspect to consider for IDing the maker, how the belt loops are placed. Cal set 'em upside down, as in your jacket, and Al's did it with normal.

In this case, I opt for Al's jacket. The leather is supple but lightweight. In general, your straight-zip jacket reminds me of this Al's I picked up in December.
img_20231218_221513-jpg.571582

And, of course, I may be wrong with what I've said.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 616668

When I doubt if Cal or Al, I look at the cuff area, if there is single or double stitching around the wrists: double is a Cal's feature.

However, there is another aspect to consider for IDing the maker, how the belt loops are placed. Cal set 'em upside down, as in your jacket, and Al's did it with normal.

In this case, I opt for Al's jacket. The leather is supple but lightweight. In general, your straight-zip jacket reminds me of this Al's I picked up in December.

You are right! in your points. The orientation of the the belt loops are also a simple factor to look at. There are others factors to view but just keep it simple to sleeves ,stitching and belt loops. Lastly, Al's started making jackets in the 80s. If the zippers do not give you a good clue, then they probably were replaced at one time.

Biff42

One of the Regulars
View attachment 616668

Thanks for the reply! It looks very similar to your jacket and has a single row of stitching on the cuff. The leather is relatively light which works better for me in Atlanta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL