Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californian Ventura

Orlan

Familiar Face
Hi everybody!
I'm new here, although some time I've been reading the forum.
I want to buy the Californian Ventura jacket of Good Wear company, and I want to know if somebody tell me how the jacket is? Maybe I'll decide for the seal goat, but I don't know yet!
I've other jacket similar to Californian, the Aero 1930'S in HFQH, It is a fantastic jacket but is heavy to me. I can't get used It! Maybe I'll sell It.

Orlan said:
Hi everybody!
I'm new here, although some time I've been reading the forum.
I want to buy the Californian Ventura jacket of Good Wear company, and I want to know if somebody tell me how the jacket is? Maybe I'll decide for the seal goat, but I don't know yet!
I've other jacket similar to Californian, the Aero 1930'S in HFQH, It is a fantastic jacket but is heavy to me. I can't get used It! Maybe I'll sell It.

If you're looking for a more authentic looking jacket its better to have the californian in HH sealbrown.....and maybe without those straps on the sleeves.

So far I haven't seen a 40's jacket in goathide....and the HH of these jackets were thicker.

Maybe this will help you.....

Ruben

Orlan

Familiar Face
I know many of the jackets of 40'S
were of HH, but some It was in goat.
Perhaps I'll decide for goat by the weight.
I have a A2 of Eastman in Horside and it's not heavy

Orlan said:
I know many of the jackets of 40'S
were of HH, but some It was in goat.
Perhaps I'll decide for goat by the weight.
I have a A2 of Eastman in Horside and it's not heavy

Maybe you're right....with your mild climatr ...goathide is more suitable..
Good luck

Ruben

jacketquest

Familiar Face
Flaming_Groovy said:
If you're looking for a more authentic looking jacket its better to have the californian in HH sealbrown.....and maybe without those straps on the sleeves.

So far I haven't seen a 40's jacket in goathide....and the HH of these jackets were thicker.

Maybe this will help you.....

Ruben

There are plenty of 40's utility style jackets in goatskin by various manufacturers, e.g. California Sportswear, Rough Wear, and Gordon & Ferguson to name a few.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket

I've spoken to John Chapman about this one. He has an ultra light horse available too. I would go the goat myself. It is period accurate, if that matters to you (not to me), but goat is highly abrasion resistant, soft, water resistant and hard wearing. It is light, but not as light as people often imagine. I am thinking of ordering one, but I would remove the cuff straps as they tend to get caught on things. I would also add an inch or so to the body, but I'm 6ft 2 and really short jackets look a bit naff IMO.:)

Cheers

CBI

One Too Many
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5508

John's new HH from Japan is an entire new level of vintage hide - amazing! You won't be dissapointed. The hides are processed as close to 1930'3/40's standards as anyone is doing these days (and probably more). I would not say "soft" leather but certainly not stiff. I am not a moto guy but if I were, it would be a GW Calif for sure. John can tweak details if needed.

Jay

Practically Family
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how much does the Californian Ventura actually cost? I couldn't find a price on the website and I really like the jacket.

Thanks Fellas

Orlan

Familiar Face
The cost of the jacket is 950$ + shipping.
I put incontact with John Chapman. He'll send me a leather sampels and so I'll decide.

Orlan

Familiar Face
Flaming_Groovy said:
I wonder how much the longer version of the civilian jacket will cost..?

I don`t know if Jonh makes a longer vesion jacket, but the overall design of the Ventura is quite common-sense, so that the body
isn't too short or too long.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I paid $820 with shipping for my Ventura in 2018, but it isn't Shinki horsehide, and had some wonky stitching in the lining.
IMG_1690.JPG

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I got mine here in the Classified, 1350 if I remember, just a few months ago in 2021. It's not a perfectly made jacket, but I've probably worn it the most of all my jackets, and it just joined the lineup this year. I don't know if it's Shinki or Victoria horse and it doesn't matter. I check back on GW's sale page every now and then to see if anything pops up. One day I will find out if the OG is better wearing or this.
IMG_9978.jpg
IMG_9968.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points