Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Call of Cthulhu, low budget version

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That looks like a very interesting film. I will be on the lookout for that one.

Cool avatar, BTW, Hemingway with his Thompson Machine gun during his Key West days, I pressume.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
This film looks interesting indeed. I'll keep a third eye out for it!:p
Post number 666! BhuwaHaHaHaHaHa!!!

horror303sd.jpg

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
It's an excellent film, and I highly recommend it (and mentioned it in the TCM guest programmer thread). Looks like it was made in the 20s, too: make up, film stock, the lot.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
It does look like fun, though the ties are totally inaccurate for the period. ;) :rolleyes:

...and two doors down is 668, Neighbor of the Beast.

M. Tank,

668 is right next door to 666, and 667 is across the street. Now if you want Mr. Bub (B. L. Z. Bub), he's at 664, on the other side, and the Munsters reside around the corner at 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Check it on Map Quest. :)

jake431

Practically Family
Why has it been so hard to do a good Lovecraft movie? Scoff if you will, but the best Cthulhu-esque story I've yet seen on screen is John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness.

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
dr greg said:
Long time no see MOM, but I recall it as a very interesting film, one of his best. not available on dvd here I think

It's on Amazon. It's one of my favorite Carpenter films, though his movies are certainly not to everyone's taste. I believe it's one of the best movies to handle the otherworldiness and sanity effects of the Cthulu mythos.

-Jake

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mouth of Madness* is a good, under-rated little film, and, hey yeah, it is very Lovecraftian.

Hellboy had an HPL type thingy, but that was just silly.

*My favourite Carpenter is still Escape From New York. Viva Snake!

jake431

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Mouth of Madness* is a good, under-rated little film, and, hey yeah, it is very Lovecraftian.

Hellboy had an HPL type thingy, but that was just silly.

*My favourite Carpenter is still Escape From New York. Viva Snake!

I'm also a big John Carpenter's The Thing fan. Kurt Russell and Carpenter work well together.

-Jake

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
jake431 said:
I'm also a big John Carpenter's The Thing fan. Kurt Russell and Carpenter work well together.

-Jake

The Thing improves with age. They do great audio commentaries for the dvds of their films as well. Big Trouble in Little China is (even) more entertaining with the commentary on.

They Live was a better, smarter, funnier Mars Attacks - so why'd Burton bother?

jake431

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
The Thing improves with age. They do great audio commentaries for the dvds of their films as well. Big Trouble in Little China is (even) more entertaining with the commentary on.

I find the special effects in the Thing have held up surprisingly well.

I don't hardly know why he bothers to do any movies. He's not a favorite of mine, although I did like Sleepy Hollow, which is interesting because I like it for the very reason his fans do not - you can't sense nearly as much Burton in it as his other movies.

-Jake

czack

One of the Regulars
jake431 said:
I find the special effects in the Thing have held up surprisingly well.

I don't hardly know why he bothers to do any movies. He's not a favorite of mine, although I did like Sleepy Hollow, which is interesting because I like it for the very reason his fans do not - you can't sense nearly as much Burton in it as his other movies.

-Jake

Sleepy Hollow was OK, but Burton still owes me for his "reimagining" of "Planet of the Apes." That ending was Weak.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jake_fink said:

I agree entirely. "Big Trouble..." is one of my favorite movies; "movies" now, as opposed to films. ;)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Hemingway Jones said:
I agree entirely. "Big Trouble..." is one of my favorite movies; "movies" now, as opposed to films. ;)

"Big Trouble" rocked, and Kim Cattrall pre-SITC made it all the better. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran