Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all tailors

MudInYerEye said:
I know a tailor who not only CAN make that but DOES make that. And How!
His name is Michele Savoia, quite a character.

2020-savoia-measure.jpg

He's the one on the left:

Sav.jpg

Savoia's work:

yaeger-4.jpg

According to the Internet:

For the past three decades, Savoia has been hand tailoring one of a kind custom suits, sport coats and shirts exclusively for an impressive list of loyal clients. Recognized as one of the top craftsman in the country, Savoia is known for his exquisite taste and inspired attention to detail. His work has received both fashion industry and media praise, resulting in feature stories in over 40 publications worldwide.

Services are available by appointment only.

To contact Savoia Custom Clothiers for a consultation or fitting,
call 212-682-1250 or e-mail thetailor@savoiacustom.com.

"He creates men's apparel as it should be: elegant, sharp and above all, stylish. Just ask anyone who owns one of his custom made suits: nothing makes you feel closer to a million dollars, and a million people will compliment you every time you wear it." ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù Atomic Magazine

"Still, custom means custom here, and Savoia is eager to try to figure out what a man needs and then craft a better life for him, four yards of fabric at a time." ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù GQ

"Savoia espouses a unique style and can make you a suit that will instantly catapult you into the ranks of the best-dressed." ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù NY Post

"With a clientele that has grown to include bankers, brokers and film producers (not to mention many celebrities), Savoia has decided to open a new store on their turf. The new location is a store within a store in John Allan's Club." ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù Paper Magazine

"My personal favorite bespoke tailor in New York is Savoia." ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù Quest

"Michele Savoia's time has come" ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù The New York Times

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Mr. Bern,
He's no longer in Grand Central. Strictly bespoke now. Apparently he's working of of his Cadillac (brand new I might add) visiting people in their offices for taking measurements.
My father, an attorney in San Francisco, has his suits made by a London-trained Indian tailor who visits his office for measurements and fittings.
Call Savoia at (646)239-7044. He's a salty talker and fun to chat with.

Again, I don't know who's buying these suits because I never see anyone on the street wearing them. I suppose if someone doesn't know how to put it all together with shirt, tie, shoes, and comportment, the suit won't stand out no matter how stylish it is. And if celebrities are buying them, they must be wearing them with t-shirts and sneakers because whenever I see them on the t.v. they look pretty unkempt. (And people get paid to be their stylists?)

Kind regards,

Senator Jack

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Jack,
Savoia was THE tailor of the 90's NYC swing scene and any show back then had his fashions represented. His period reproductions are the closest anyone will get to authentic vintage. As the swing scene has long since ceased to be vital, most of his efforts these days are devoted to Armani-esque custom suits for Wall Street-types with big wallets.

Yeah, people kept telling me to go there back then, and by the time I got around to it, I found he had closed up. I wasn't part of the NY 90s swing scene because the people I found swing dancing seemed to be the very Gap-clad people I hated at work. (see my article over at The Fedora Chronicles for more on this outrageous thinking) I actually go to the dances at Connolly's now, with a much less irascible disposition. Perhaps it's old age.

I went over to that other tailor last year. I can't remember his name, but I remember he's across the Ukrainian Church off 3rd Avenue - around McSorely's. He has a small shop and he only makes clothes from vintage material that he finds. He had a rack of DB suits when I was there. The tailoring is great, prices high. If anyone knows the name, please post.

Regards,

Senator Jack

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Hey Jack,
That's D.L. Cerney's. I think they've been there for about 21 years. They seem to concentrate on mid 40's to early 50's stuff. Plenty of nice threads off the rack but quite pricey. Unblocked vintage fedoras and deadstock 30's/40's shoes and ties as well. Extremely friendly folks. Fun to visit.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
:hamburger Have a burger Magnoli. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a nice suit if I do say so myself. Uh oh, me is getting jealous of myself for stealing the show, he says bravo as well. Dangit, now I is showing a nasty smirk. I guess he wants to congratulate you as well.

From all of us, well done. (he he)
18hung348927.jpg

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Veronica Parra said:

Indy, why not try making a copy of the suit pictured in the "Holy Grail of Suits" thread, here in "Suits"?

I would LOVE to! I've already saved the pictures you posted to my hard drive. Unfortunately, I've already spread myself too thin starting this business up, so I'll need a guinea pig to order this suit "sight unseen" first. I could probably do it for the first customer at $375. If anyone is interested in this particular suit, which I would love to add to my site, e-mail or PM me.

Kind regards,
Indy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit