Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all vegetarians !!!

Von Dee

New in Town
Maybe I’m on the wrong site to be asking this question, but I was wondering if anyone out there is a vegatarian, if so I’m doing some research for my own personal data, so I would appreciate some feedback, & quite frankly it’s not something I ever thought of doing, but it is something that I take an interest on, I was wondering about your life as a vegetarian? If I ever fall into that category maybe I’ll do some changes, but for now the more information the better. So if anyone can give me a glimpse of this lifestyle, it would be super cool!

Thanks

Trixie

One of the Regulars
I'm a reformed VEGETARIAN. Why are we capitalizing that word? Orignally became a vegetarian because I felt bad for the animals. I thought the treatment was brutal and it made me sad and it made me not want to be a part of it. I was nearly vegan, no animal products. I wore man made shoes. I ate rice and vegetables. I had one million inane conversations with angry people who claimed rice was obviously alive & in fact had different RACES - brown rice, white rice...and so therefore I was hypocritical....sigh...I had a lot of people saying I was hypocritical but I cant remember all the reasons. I just remember thinking, I'm trying to fix one thing, I cant take on the burden of the entire world and all it's problems. Why cant people be supportive of decisions especially if they dont affect them. But apparently it does affect people if you're a vegetarian. Because you're difficult to take out to dinner, or to have over for lunch, you're prone to saying things like Oh my blech look at that giant dead animal they're serving (oops), and making comments to people wearing fur. I live in California, give me a break. In any case, I'm no longer a vegetarian, but I cant tell you why because I dont know how it happened. I eat chicken & turkey only though and I still feel guilty about it. Oh I forgot to mention, I must have been doing something wrong because after a couple years my hair started falling out!

Von Dee said:
umm yummi animals...

Yep, animals taste good because they are made of meat. :p
On a more serious note, I can sort of understand the whole animal protection thing but it can go too far. I love animals (and not I don't mean that I love the way they taste;) ) and probably have had more pets than most people in my lifetime---so far. As a canary breeder, I feel a responsiblity to keep them as happy as possible. They must be pretty happy because they love untying my shoes when I go into the aviary. They are so tame I have to be careful not to step ont hem when they fly over and land in front of me.

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I just noticed that I am in the Powder Room. :eusa_doh: (backing out slowly)

Vanessa

One Too Many
Mom's been a non-meat-atarian for the last ten years or so. What kind of questions do you have?

Von Dee

New in Town
Trixie said:
I'm a reformed VEGETARIAN. Why are we capitalizing that word? Orignally became a vegetarian because I felt bad for the animals. I thought the treatment was brutal and it made me sad and it made me not want to be a part of it. I was nearly vegan, no animal products. I wore man made shoes. I ate rice and vegetables. I had one million inane conversations with angry people who claimed rice was obviously alive & in fact had different RACES - brown rice, white rice...and so therefore I was hypocritical....sigh...I had a lot of people saying I was hypocritical but I cant remember all the reasons. I just remember thinking, I'm trying to fix one thing, I cant take on the burden of the entire world and all it's problems. Why cant people be supportive of decisions especially if they dont affect them. But apparently it does affect people if you're a vegetarian. Because you're difficult to take out to dinner, or to have over for lunch, you're prone to saying things like Oh my blech look at that giant dead animal they're serving (oops), and making comments to people wearing fur. I live in California, give me a break. In any case, I'm no longer a vegetarian, but I cant tell you why because I dont know how it happened. I eat chicken & turkey only though and I still feel guilty about it. Oh I forgot to mention, I must have been doing something wrong because after a couple years my hair started falling out!

I see what you’re saying, hmm? So are their different types of vegetarians? Like is there such thing as a part time vegetarian for dieting purposes, I doubt it but I thought I ask? Wow people can really be hostile; it sucks to go thru that,I bet!? But if it’s something that makes a person happy, why not?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't call myself a vegetarian, but I'm not a big meat eater either. It is very easy to be a vegetarian..there are numerous cook books out there for ideas. The important thing to remember is to make sure you get your protein, you can get very weak if you don't. This is the time of year to start on this type of diet/ lifestyle. Fruits and vegetables are in season and are very cheap. Going to restraunts is not bad at all because you can always find a couple of items on the menu that can cater to your needs

Von Dee

New in Town
Vanessa said:
Mom's been a non-meat-atarian for the last ten years or so. What kind of questions do you have?

I been thinking of fitting raw vegetables 'less meat into my diet, while I was at it, thought I see if being a vegtarian would work for me, but it doesn’t seem like it would,nonetheless the information is very useful...I still want to know more about the lifestyle!

Novella

Practically Family
decodoll said:
Feeding vegetarians is easy, it's the vegans that are tough.

That's so true! One of my friends recently went vegan. I like to bake and I always mean to take her some cookies or a cake or something, but all my favorite recipes are non-vegan and I don't want to just make her something because it's vegan. As far as I know she really enjoys being vegan despite the obsticles.

I'm nearly a vegetarian, but that's just because I hate the way uncooked meat looks (silly I know). I probably eat meat once a week tops. I could never go full on vegetarian because I love to eat chicken too much. :p I think being vegetarian would be really easy in today's world because of all the health food stores and fast food restaurants' reformed menus with salads. I've seen a lot of restaurants that have vegetarian options labeled on their menus too. And getting protein isn't hard at all - it's in all sorts of non-meat things. I love cottage cheese, and when it's cooked right tofu is fantastic.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
here's the pro's, it's a good body cleaning way of eating, and it's a for sure way of getting your daily allowance of fruits and veggies ;) The cons, no hamburgers :eek:

OcNikki

New in Town
I'm a vegetarian and have been for 3 years. My fiance was raised vegetarian and has never intentionally eaten meat. I became a vegetarian not long after we started dating to see if I could and I will never go back! I absolutely love it.

magneto

Practically Family
Questions...?

I *was* vegetarian for about 15 years, 3-4 years vegan, so am happy to answer any questions...? To be brutal, it's just not worth the time and effort (and anaemia) for me anymore, and I only buy "humanely raised" meat when I buy it (not often). I knew more vegetarians/vegans than not during my checkered career, and every single one has gone back to overtly or covertly eating animal products/flesh. [huh]

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've been a vegetarian since 1987, so that's 19 years and counting.

I find that being a vegetarian is easy, and I had anemia before when I ate meat, but not since, I just eat a lot better.

I have been experimenting with raw vegan food, and although I like it, it is just too difficult to go out to eat at regular restaurants.

For example dinner at Patina, you miss out on the garden tasing menu, no cheese puffs, no poached quail egg ravioli, no cream sauce, and absolutely no creme brulee. :(

And I wonder why I can't loose weight. Back to spinich salads, carrots and raw nut "cheese"...

Rosie

One Too Many
I was a vegetarian

for two and a half years. I now eat meat but, I'm not a BIG meat eater. Every so often, when I get on a healthy eating kick, I'll do the vegetarian thing for a few weeks or sometimes months.

There aren't any "real" pros or cons to being a vegetarian, just personal choice. Regardless of whether or not anyone eats meat, they should make sure they eat healthy.

For me, the pros of being vegetarian? I felt good about not eating another living thing, but then I was confronted with the "that broccoli/spinach/rice, etc. was alive before someone plucked out of the ground" people.

The cons? Sometimes feeling as though my eating choices were limited (and I guess in actuality, they were).

The pros of being a meat eater? Like mysterygal said, hamburgers, well in my case, turkey burgers. The cons? Feeling like a heel every time I quarter a chicken :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran