Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all vegetarians !!!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I ponder going vegetarian for simple expediency; saying "I'm a vegetarian" is shorter and clearer for many people than "I keep kosher."

Oh, they'll still ask questions or try to tempt me with meat, but whatever, they understand easier and the people who ARE trying are often less confused.

Of course if I do go vegetarian then when people are being intentionally annoying and ARGUING about it (...I never understood this from anyone who wasn't a pork salesman; do you have stock in a meat company? Git out of my bizness...) all "why? that's stupid. Why would you do that?" I lose the ability to stare at them dead-eyed and say "...because G-d told me to."

That shuts up even the hardliners most of the time.lol

Von Dee

New in Town
shamus said:
I'm more a free range poultry guy myself.

I did grow up on an organic farm in the 70's and still eat organic when I can. I'll eat red meat occasionally if hormone free.

I don't understand people that have problems with dairy products? Eggs I can figure out, but not cheese?

And on a side note, if you look in your mouth, you'll find two pointed teeth on the sides called canines. They're there for a reason....

um yummi organic, thats actually been a bit of my diet, i stack up on org butter, soy milk, raw sugar, org coffee, sea salt, org fruits nd vegatables, kosher meat, etc. try my best to fit as much organics into my diet, but whatever else I can't afford I get non-organic... Oh yeah (not to meantion) my hand soap, deordarant, toothpaste, & detergent... their all natural products too...

Rosie

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
The thing about dairy products is that non-organic dairy cows are basically kept constantly pregnant and their calves are torn away at birth to become veal cows (or killed) and they are then inseminated again. That's how they produce so much milk. I personally only drink organic milk, after reading hugely gross reports on chronic mastitis in non-organic cows and what can pass into the milk, not to mention the huge levels of antibiotics the cows are fed in an effort to stave off the aforementioned infections.

Speaking of this, I know many of you have probably already seen this, but check this out if you like: TheMeatrix.com

marquise

Familiar Face
I've been vegetarian for about four years, due to the the shady & often inhumane methods in mass-production lines & feedlots; and am generally horrified by the state of farming today. I try to only eat local produce. I will eat fish and organic dairy products; & try to eat very little in the way of packaged food. It's a reletively effortless process for me; the things I need are readily available; there is a good local fruit & vegable market, local cafes and bakeries (& my little vintage kitchen). My boyfriend eats meat, though I don't flip if he has a massive steak; he is, however, attentive to free-range choices. It's not really something I think of anymore, or dwell on; just how I eat.

Von Dee

New in Town
Fleur De Guerre said:
The thing about dairy products is that non-organic dairy cows are basically kept constantly pregnant and their calves are torn away at birth to become veal cows (or killed) and they are then inseminated again. That's how they produce so much milk. I personally only drink organic milk, after reading hugely gross reports on chronic mastitis in non-organic cows and what can pass into the milk, not to mention the huge levels of antibiotics the cows are fed in an effort to stave off the aforementioned infections.
Wow your smart.... very well said! I drink only organic milk myself, I prefer organic soy millk though... vanilla that is. Something about milk, I just can't take it down to easily, it's the taste... eeek!;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I've been vegetarian since I was sixteen - 21 years and counting. I ate meat briefly in my twenties when I was dating a Spanish girl. Try visiting a Spansih home and not eating meat - seriously, try it. Can't be done.

I'm just too lazy to eat meat. All that chewing makes me bored. I will eat fish once in a blue moon, and when the moon is plaid and I happen to be in Montreal I'll have a sandwich at Schwartz's. Montreal smoked meat doesn't require 30 minutes of mastication, it melts on your tongue like butter, meaty butter.... which was supposed to make it sound good. (Sorry, Mrs Schwartz.)

Marquise has already articulated some of my own reasons.

And in addition to canines, we have an apendix and tonsils for a reason, right Shamus. ;)

PS Do people really drink milk, I mean real milk? It tastes like spit. If I want a mouthful of spit I'll try getting it the fun way.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root said:
I can't drink soy milk... I guess you could say it's the taste...lol

=WR=

Vanilla soy milk is the best flavor; it doesn't taste LIKE milk, but it is good with the same things, if that makes sense. And it has a pleasant taste of its own. I can't drink plain unflavored soy milk.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vanilla eh? Well, I've tried that before... it's not too bad but, I still like the real deal... just grew up that way I guess. I don't drink a lot of milk to begin with; I just drink it now and again with cookies, pie or cake.

=WR=

magneto

Practically Family
I sympathize with those who can't abide soy milk...what saved me when vegan were the various "nut milks" (made from almond, hazelnut, etc instead of soy beans); they are, I guess, made for people who can't consume dairy or bean products. Try them, they're tasty; don't have that "bean/fermented raw vegetable" taste (and and tend not to curdle when put in coffee like some soymilk does, eek!)

"Depression era diet" -- I love it! That's me. :) On the other hand there were many vegetarian Golden Era cookbooks/practitoners...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hitler was vegetarian.lol

I've tried some of the nut milks and well, they're not too bad but, I'd just stay away from milk all together if I had a choice of nut milk, soy milk or no milk. I mean hey, what needs milk? Baby people and animals... we're adults right so, why do we need it still? Adult cows don't drink it and so it is with other mammals. I enjoy a cool glass of 1% with a treat and that's about it or maybe with a dinner instead of soda.

Ok, I'm a sucker for Ice Cream... can't live wout that! And I don't care what is said about soy ice cream... it's not the same! lol

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo